• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XTR II good deal?

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
I can get some new old stock XTR II’s 4-20 with the SCR MIL reticle for about half of what they originally went for. Should I buy a couple? How do they stack up?

Whats "new old stock"? If its the 8 mil original XTRII, they would have to be pretty cheap for me to be interested.

Reactions: Gohring65
I own 4 of the XTR II's. I have a 3-15, a 4-20, and 2 of the 5-25. They are tanks. Absolute tanks. I love the 35mm tubes, lots of light. The glass is pretty good, the turrets are pretty good, the reticles are great, and I trust them to track and return to zero. About half price is all I've ever paid for one. They seem to sell for about that anywhere.

Reactions: D_TROS
I own 4 of the XTR II's. I have a 3-15, a 4-20, and 2 of the 5-25. They are tanks. Absolute tanks. I love the 35mm tubes, lots of light. The glass is pretty good, the turrets are pretty good, the reticles are great, and I trust them to track and return to zero. About half price is all I've ever paid for one. They seem to sell for about that anywhere.
34mm tubes.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Whats "new old stock"? If its the 8 mil original XTRII, they would have to be pretty cheap for me to be interested.
“New old stock” meaning units that are legacy models, but new in the box. Basically clearance stuff. I think XTR III has been out for a good while. Could get ‘em for like $500 or thereabouts. I have some Gucci glass, albeit getting older lol, but I have several host rifles that could use a good workhorse optic. As long as they track and have decent eye relief, I’d be pretty happy.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
“New old stock” meaning units that are legacy models, but new in the box. Basically clearance stuff. I think XTR III has been out for a good while. Could get ‘em for like $500 or thereabouts. I have some Gucci glass, albeit getting older lol, but I have several host rifles that could use a good workhorse optic. As long as they track and have decent eye relief, I’d be pretty happy.

There have been three different iterations i believe. I am not sure if any thing changes beside externally when they went to the flat top turrets. Those are the newest I believe, and the ones i have seen were pretty good. I a also not sure what changed when they added the silver ring by the magnification ring. They had some that were 10 mil but had the same bevel on top of the turrets as the ones that came out first with 8 mil turrets. I have seen 4 or 5 of the 8 mil and they have all been hot garbage.

Basically what I am saying is it depends on which one it is.

I owned a 5-25x for about 2 years after buying it on clearance several years back. Build quality was nice, turrets were good enough, standard SCR reticle is what it is. The glass quality was good until after 15x where it would start to really suffer and get dark.

Mine died on top of a 5.56 AR, so I'm not terribly impressed with its durability. I can't say I've missed it, but I would maybe buy another for a loaner gun if the price was right.

I have multiple XTRII 5-25x50 MIL SCR and they serve me well on 223 trainers, etc. I still see "new" XTRII pop up on sales regularly.

Looks like 8 mil.

1682545864655.png

I have an old 8 mil 4-20. I dropped it when I slipped on ice hunting. It had to go back for repair, and I took the opportunity to complain about the iq. It came back better than my buddy's razor gen2 except for the ca. He was pissed when we were shooting through some pea soup mirage, and I could see and he couldn't even make out the target.

I would by one for $500 for a beater rifle in a heartbeat. That old 4-20 is on the smokeless muzzleloader and hasn't had a single problem since I dropped it years ago.

Sir, as long as you're willing to get your tig torch involved to prove that you're right, there's nothing that you can do to a set of rings that will demand an apology.
You could pull shit out your ass to argue with a wall.

I don't need any tools to show a 35mm tube won't work correctly with 34mm mounts.

Half the price of XTRII from retail. What's that make them $800? Nope. I've had Burris scopes for 23yrs. I have some XTRIIs in LPVOs that a are great. XTRII 5-25X50? Nope. I would buy the XTRIII. Turrets and glass have a just noticeable difference in improvement on the 3. I'm willing to bet the Pro XTR III is even more better. :)

I have the XTRIII 5-30 SCR2 Mil. Resolution is great. Bright glass, on a 1 Mile rig at the moment.

Half the price of XTRII from retail. What's that make them $800? Nope. I've had Burris scopes for 23yrs. I have some XTRIIs in LPVOs that a are great. XTRII 5-25X50? Nope. I would buy the XTRIII. Turrets and glass have a just noticeable difference in improvement on the 3. I'm willing to bet the Pro XTR III is even more better. :)

I have the XTRIII 5-30 SCR2 Mil. Resolution is great. Bright glass, on a 1 Mile rig at the moment.
Who sells xtrII for $1600?

You could pull shit out your ass to argue with a wall.

I don't need any tools to show a 35mm tube won't work correctly with 34mm mounts.
This is quite a colorful exchange. I'm having a bald moment here. So, what I think to understand is HCGATW says he can put a 35mm tube in 34mm rings and be ok. AKmike47 says that is not the case. Am I right? Ya'lls poetic form has thrown me off. :cool:

Nobody. What were they when they came out? I think 1600. OP said....1/2 price for what they ORIGINALLY went for..
I bought one right after they were released for around $925. I know the weren't $1600 because at that time I would have had to give up 2 meals a day for 3 months to afford a $1600 scope.

I bought one right after they were released for around $925. I know the weren't $1600 because at that time I would have had to give up 2 meals a day for 3 months to afford a $1600 scope.
MSRP $1600. Nobody pays MSRP unless they're stupid.

There are some online retailers that regularly sell new Burris XTRII 525x50 SCR MIL in the sand camo for $600ish. Got several and they serve me well on 223 trainers and a backup 65CM.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway