• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: OLYMPIC ARMS .223 AR-15 accuracy problem

You said it was an Oly, that right there is the problem. Olympic's are not the greatest of AR's and their quality is not the best.

15 inches seems a bit high, but at a 25 yard/meter zero my dpms A2 carbine shoots high out to 250m...... heres why..

A standard battle sight zero is 25m/250m... actually at 25m your point of impact should be 2.5cm low and yes the weapon should shoot high from there through the ranges till you get out to 250, where it should be dead on again and drop from there.

Look at chapter 5 in the following link.
linky

Hopes this helps.

I've known a few bare bones Oly's that smacked groundhogs consistently out to 400. Doubtful that the "reason" for the problem is that it is an Oly.

How are you adjusting the sights for zero?

Nothing wrong with OLY rifles what so ever.

I had a barrel from them years ago the was a POS, Another one I had was okay. I guess sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIGTWO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know of problems with the chambers on .223 ar-15 from Olympic arms. The one i have constantly shoots high out to 100 meters. Tried adjusting sites.Tried several brands of ammo. Barrel is 1/9 twist Stainless. Shoots to point of aim at 25 meters but after that it rises about 15 inches from point of aim. The gun has been shot from a secured rest produces same problem. Any ideas on the fix. </div></div>

It should shoot high at 100, about 3 to 5 inches high; and, at 150 to 170 meters, the bullet path will be about 7 to 10 inches high. At 300 meters the line of sight and bullet path will intersect again. This assumes shooting M855 from a carbine or rifle with an initial 25 meter zero. This is known as a 300 meter BSZ zero, which is proper with a BDC sight, when BDC function is desired. If you've got some sort of BUIS without a BDC function, then you can put any zero you think is most applicable to the range of target distances and types you will most likely encounter. For example, if targets are all inside 200 meters then perhaps you'd be best served with a 200 meter BSZ.

Be sure your sight alignment perspective is consistent, as inconsistent sight alignment, as well as divergent holds will produce results pretty far off from where you believe your're aiming. Just .001 of an inch off in sight alignment is worth about an inch at 300 yards. A piece of copy paper is almost .004 inches thick so, just a little sight alignment error can get you way off the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIGTWO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know of problems with the chambers on .223 ar-15 from Olympic arms. The one i have constantly shoots high out to 100 meters. Tried adjusting sites.Tried several brands of ammo. Barrel is 1/9 twist Stainless. Shoots to point of aim at 25 meters but after that it rises about 15 inches from point of aim. The gun has been shot from a secured rest produces same problem. Any ideas on the fix. </div></div>

It should shoot high at 100, about 3 to 5 inches high; and, at 150 to 170 meters, the bullet path will be about 7 to 10 inches high. At 300 meters the line of sight and bullet path will intersect again. This assumes shooting M855 from a carbine or rifle with an initial 25 meter zero. This is known as a 300 meter BSZ zero, which is proper with a BDC sight when BDC function is desired. If you've got some sort of BUIS without a BDC function, then you can put any zero you think is most applicable to the range of target distance andtypes you will most likely encounter. For example if targets are all inside 200 meters then perhaps you'd be best served with a 200 meter BSZ. </div></div>

sounds like you and I are on the page, I think the rifle is functioning as intended.

Sig...I'm a deputy in the county where Oly Arms is located. If you keep having problems with it...you're more than welcome to send it to me and I'll take it down there in uniform (never hurts...turst me)...and have them look it over. They will go through the whole rig and replace any parts or do any work as needed for free. Just FYI

Over the years i have sold many hundreds of oly arms products and they are some of the best AR type rifles made, their pistols are real good. they haveone of the best repair policys in the industry.
Sight the gun in at 100 yds and than see what it does out to 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with OLY rifles what so ever. </div></div>

Except for all the fucked up guns they made and sold. Of course lying to customers was/is bad too. Aside from those two minor problems they are are good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koginam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over the years i have sold many hundreds of oly arms products and they are some of the best AR type rifles made, their pistols are real good. they haveone of the best repair policys in the industry.
Sight the gun in at 100 yds and than see what it does out to 300. </div></div>

Why, on earth, would you want to zero at 100 to see what it would do at 300? Why would you want to zero at 100 for anything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with OLY rifles what so ever. </div></div>

Except for all the fucked up guns they made and sold. Of course lying to customers was/is bad too. Aside from those two minor problems they are are good to go.

</div></div>

Would you care to be a little more specific.
I own one, I have had it for over 15 years and have never had any troubles.
It has been used and put away dirty on occasion, but always ready to go.

Customer service is one thing that I can't comment on, seeing as how I have never needed it.

Admittedly thier "plinker" models were a flop, it was also my understanding that they would rerun a reciever for those that had bought them and reissue the serial number on the new reciever. If I recall this was when the AWB was in effect, allowing pre-ban owners the opertunity to keep the pre-ban status.

I think there are a lot of shooters that shit on Oly and not ever shot one.
I have shot the holy hell out of a K8, PCR4, and the new LTR w/o any issues other than one self inflicted gas block issue on a K8. They sent me a new gas block at no charge due to my screw up.

I don't own, but sold a PCR1, countless K16's, and a few others, no issues what so ever. They all shot at least MOA. (all scoped models of some sort, didn't ever play with the Plinker model).

858, please do fill us in on the fucked up guns and lying issues. Would like to know.

Pretty sure Oly started the AR business hot and heavy supplying others with parts, and had there own line. As time went on the other company's started producing there own parts in house. If I remember correctly, two of the other well known AR manufactures bought Oly parts up until about 3 or 4 yrs ago.