• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Xylo chassis - thoughts?

Gil P.

Blank
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
What are all your thoughts on this chassis? It looks almost perfect. I do wish the cheek piece was the same on both sides. Any reason for this?

How are you all liking the ergonomics? The grip looks very nice. How's the reach to the trigger from the grip?

I think they're ugly as sin....but I love how mine shoots.
I've swapped barreled actions several times and they always maintain zero.
I use mine for NRA highpower so I adjust length of pull and butt plate height/rotation for each stage (standing/sitting/prone).
I also added a 3D printed riser on the bottom for more height in standing. It doesn't look great, but it really helps my standing and sitting positions.
I have a set of the Large grips installed. I really like them for my big hands. If I only shot slow fire I would probably want even larger grips. The large grip almost fills my hand but is easy to release and re-engage during rapid fire stages.
I don't shoot weak side so I can't comment on your question about the cheek piece.
As far as magazines I've tried several brands and I really like the ARC mags. They click into the chassis effortlessly, but with almost no slop/play. And they feed flawlessly with my Archimedes action using 6XC and 6CompMatch.

I have a JAE-700 and an Eliseo Tube Gun. The JAE-700 is very comfortable, but not as adjustable as I'd like it to be for HighPower comps, and the Eliseo is very adjustable, but I don't prefer the AR-15 style ergonomics.....The XYLO is a very good middle ground. After my business picks up I'm hoping to buy another XYLO and Archimedes action....I'd like to build a .223.

Several folks have noted that the titanium rods that hold the butt plate assembly have loosened on them, mine did as well, but after I tightened the set screw holding them in, I haven't had any issues since...that was about 1000rds ago. I didn't over tighten it either, just snug.

Good luck,
Ross

I think they're ugly as sin....but I love how mine shoots.
I've swapped barreled actions several times and they always maintain zero.
I use mine for NRA highpower so I adjust length of pull and butt plate height/rotation for each stage (standing/sitting/prone).
I also added a 3D printed riser on the bottom for more height in standing. It doesn't look great, but it really helps my standing and sitting positions.
I have a set of the Large grips installed. I really like them for my big hands. If I only shot slow fire I would probably want even larger grips. The large grip almost fills my hand but is easy to release and re-engage during rapid fire stages.
I don't shoot weak side so I can't comment on your question about the cheek piece.
As far as magazines I've tried several brands and I really like the ARC mags. They click into the chassis effortlessly, but with almost no slop/play. And they feed flawlessly with my Archimedes action using 6XC and 6CompMatch.

I have a JAE-700 and an Eliseo Tube Gun. The JAE-700 is very comfortable, but not as adjustable as I'd like it to be for HighPower comps, and the Eliseo is very adjustable, but I don't prefer the AR-15 style ergonomics.....The XYLO is a very good middle ground. After my business picks up I'm hoping to buy another XYLO and Archimedes action....I'd like to build a .223.

Several folks have noted that the titanium rods that hold the butt plate assembly have loosened on them, mine did as well, but after I tightened the set screw holding them in, I haven't had any issues since...that was about 1000rds ago. I didn't over tighten it either, just snug.

Good luck,
Ross

Does the cheek piece ever get uncomfortably hot? What about the screws in the grip?

I noticed that the tension screw for the cheek height adjustment was changed from a wheel to a wing type screw. Do you still need to tighten it with an Allen key to stop the cheek piece from rattling?

Are the flush cups the limited rotation type?

I've never noticed the cheek piece getting too hot. When I'm shooting slow fire (prone, with a heavy sweatshirt, and a heavy shooting coat, 2 sighters and 20 shots in 22 minutes) I'm so hot and sweaty that I sometimes have a small towel handy to wipe sweat from my cheek and the cheek piece on the gun.

Regarding the wheel/wing type screw....no, it hasn't changed that I'm aware of (I'm not an authority)....one side has a knurled wheel, the other has the wing type screw(or nut). I never needed a hex wrench to tighten it. The wing type screw(or nut) tightens it down more than adequately. The knurled part is simply used to raise or lower the cheek piece.

I've never used the flush cups honestly. The sling I used for highpower only attaches in the front, and I actually use a hook that connects to my hand stop in the Anschutz rail.

Reactions: Gil P.
I bought one for a Zermatt RimX build. The chassis feels great and the build quality is first class. I like the way the grip feels in the hand and it puts my trigger finger in just the right "spot" and angle. Adjustments are easy to make and they "lock" in solid with no flex or play. I own a KRG Whiskey 3 and XLR Element 3.0 for comparison purposes. I like this and see myself holding onto it for a long long time. However, a folding Xylo might make a liar out of me...

I am not a competitive or high level shooter so can't provide any insight into how it handles under competitive use.

No thanks....the longer forend would not help me any.
But they do have an arca rail extension (and an arca/pic rail combo) on the website so you can have the longer length you're looking for.

Ive seen people put their bipod way forward like that before. It makes it too hard for me to reach so im good with the forend length.

What are all your thoughts on this chassis? It looks almost perfect. I do wish the cheek piece was the same on both sides. Any reason for this?

How are you all liking the ergonomics? The grip looks very nice. How's the reach to the trigger from the grip?

The cheek piece is asymmetric so you can flip it around- some people like a 45* cheek piece, some like 90* (some like round but I think most who like round would like 45*). The Xylo gives you the option of either. I prefer the 45* but I have some friends who are really good rifle shooters who prefer 90*. When shooting weak-side there are compromises so that you probably wouldn't notice the 45/90* not being perfect.
The tension screw isn't required- it just locks down the adjustment and makes it virtually solid. There is still the rack and pinion self-locking adjustment wheel on the opposite side.
I don't think any of the sling swivel flush cups are rotation limited.

tenor.gif

It is one of the best chassis on the market. Serious thought went into it and every time I use mine I notice a new subtle detail.

I think I've probably fired 1K rounds through the rifle.

@LawnMM Ted Karagias has said something along the lines of .... he puts function before form, and that function has it's own beauty. And that's exactly how I feel about the XYLO....it's not what I call beautiful, but it does it's job so well that I think it's gorgeous!

I really do love mine. I just shot a practice match this afternoon and despite my poor standing stage (standing is always terrible right after lunch - but I'm working on it)....I shot a 790/800. In prone with a sling this chassis almost makes it easy. The center dot in the scope just sits in the x-ring.

Honestly wish I had purchased 2 on the pre-order instead of just this one.....oh well.
Regards,
Ross

I love mine. I've had MDT ACC, MPA BA and XRL, the xylo is the most comfortable of them all.

My only grip is I wish the forend were a bit longer but the new spigot mount solves that.

Mine is a bit front heavy with a 30" 1.25 bull barrel, and ARC does not make a rear weight, so that has also been a bit of a bummer.

I love mine. I've had MDT ACC, MPA BA and XRL, the xylo is the most comfortable of them all.

My only grip is I wish the forend were a bit longer but the new spigot mount solves that.

Mine is a bit front heavy with a 30" 1.25 bull barrel, and ARC does not make a rear weight, so that has also been a bit of a bummer.
Good to know. You have a no taper 1.25" barrel?

I thought I heard something about being able to get a bag rider made of steel. I might be confusing things though.

Good to know. You have a no taper 1.25" barrel?

I thought I heard something about being able to get a bag rider made of steel. I might be confusing things though.
Yes I have a 30 bartline 1.25" bull barrel. On a 300prc build in a xylo

Reactions: Zerglish

There is the steel bag bar that adds a lot of weight. And you can add two bag bars, and the steel ones you can add additional weights to.

Do you have a link to them?
The steel bag rider isn't available yet. I talked to someone at ARC and they said to watch the website and it will be up for sale in the next few weeks.

Are the M-Lok slots on the Xylo slightly lower? I just ordered a Xylo and wanted to see if I can run my MDT ACC external weights on the rifle or if it will be too low and block the ARCA rail. I like the MDT weights since they have a QD cup that I run my Sikes Clutch / Sling on.

Thanks!

awesome chassis - this and hte mdt aac ... and the new manners prs-tcs

ARC is now making a steel rear bag rider with m-lok slots that designed to hold ARC external weights. Should be up on the website soon.

Reactions: craigos
ARC is now making a steel rear bag rider with m-lok slots that designed to hold ARC external weights. Should be up on the website soon.

I got my steel bag rider on Friday - its very nice. Can add 2 weights either side ... Ordered it at shot back when i got my xylo ordered.

For people running support side stages in PRS/NRL any one try to get some sort of ambidextrous cheekpiece?

The Xylo cheekpiece was designed to offer the shooter a choice between a 45 and a 90-degree cheekweld; it is reversible. Although either side is comfortable, most shooters will prefer one or the other. When shooting weakside, it's assumed that there will be positional compromises, and having either 45 or 90 degree slope on the weakside (the opposite slope of the strongside) would be acceptable and maybe even preferable. Probably the more important concern is the left/right and yaw adjustment. The shooter should try and find the best compromise for left and right side shooting by adjusting the cheekpiece left/right, slope-side (90/45 degrees on the right/left side), and probably keeping yaw to a minimum (straight).
Cheekpiece elevation might be affected by the above adjustments so it's important to go back and confirm scope alignment (no scope shadow) on both the left and right side.
Long story short: The Xylo is designed to be ambidextrous... with very minor compromises to increase total adjustability.

The Xylo cheekpiece was designed to offer the shooter a choice between a 45 and a 90-degree cheekweld; it is reversible. Although either side is comfortable, most shooters will prefer one or the other. When shooting weakside, it's assumed that there will be positional compromises, and having either 45 or 90 degree slope on the weakside (the opposite slope of the strongside) would be acceptable and maybe even preferable. Probably the more important concern is the left/right and yaw adjustment. The shooter should try and find the best compromise for left and right side shooting by adjusting the cheekpiece left/right, slope side (90/45 degrees on the right/left side), and probably keeping yaw to a minimum (straight).
Cheekpiece elevation might be affected by the above adjustments so it's important to go back and confirm scope alignment (no scope shadow) on both the left and right side.
Long story short: The Xylo is designed to be ambidextrous... with very minor compromises to increase total adjustability.

I see a lot of comparisons to other chassis as far as fit and feel by the shooter, how about how it compares in feel to shooting a McMillan or Manners...say A3 etc...

Thanks!

I see a lot of comparisons to other chassis as far as fit and feel by the shooter, how about how it compares in feel to shooting a McMillan or Manners...say A3 etc...

Thanks!

The grip for me is a little closer to the trigger allowing me to have a much better 90 degree trigger pull. The position of putting the thumb that I do on the Manners which is the same as the Xylo feels great.

Aluminum though gets pretty cold on the fore-end vs the Carbon stock.

Reactions: 7mmSTW
Does anyone know if there are plans to make a mirage shield? There are holes at the top of the chassis where you can bolt on a hand guard. A full length mirage shield would be nice.

@7mmSTW I'd say, generally it's pretty similar to the feel of my McMillan stocks. I don't have an A2 any more to compare it to, but I still have an A5 on my FN SPR A5.
The main differences I notice are:
  1. I'm running a Tubb T7T on my Archimedes/Xylo and I can adjust the trigger shoe much further away to accommodate my long fingers. The FN is a little too close for me. (not the stocks fault)
  2. The grip on the Xylo is longer and allows for a lower hand position that makes my index finger line up with the trigger better.
  3. Yes....aluminum stocks/chassis suck in cold weather. Between the wooden grip, the rubber cheek piece and the plastic (3D printed) riser I have on the forend of my stock it doesn't matter too much to me. But the first time I shouldered my Eliseo chassis in 30deg weather to practice offhand I about pissed my pants when I put that aluminum cheek piece on my face, hahaha.
Good Luck
Ross

Reactions: littlepod
Have any of you compared your Xylo to a KMW Sentinel? How does the distance from the grip to the trigger compare? What about the grip angle?