• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

yeah, yeah...

gimpy

One-Legged Grunt
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2011
Illinois
I currently have a Remington 700 with 5R SS barrel & Leupold Mk 4. I'm debating getting a M1A next or a AR-10 platform rifle next. Based off experience from both platforms, what would be more fun? Not necessarily looking for most accurate, but most rewarding to shoot. I've shot both the M110 and the M25 in their true form (briefly) and done well with both. Have either of you had both and settled on one? If so, what are the reasons?

Re: yeah, yeah...

Well you can't do mag dumps with a bolt gun... just saying. There is nothing like rocking 308s out of a semi at an assortment of non working house hold appliances.

never owned an M1, but I do own an Large Caliber AR. I do say though the M1A super fun to shoot, just not as easy to shoot. If I could only have one however, it would be the AR series.

What were you planning on using it for?

Doesn't sound too biased too far. I just find the M1A beautiful. It's like choosing between 2 beautiful women.

No offense to anyone who loves the M1A, becuase they are a thing of beauty and battle proven.. however I've just never really seen a super accurate one. I had to prove to myself that there were good ones, so spent a good chunk of change on a super match that had some work done to it. It's still sitting in my safe.

On the other hand, there are .308 AR's out there, one of which only costs around a grand, that are .5moa or better straight off the rack w/factory ammo. Plus they are more comfortable to shoot.

The choice is easy for me.

I have two M1A's, and a handful of AR10 platforms. I love the M1A's. They are beautiful rifles, fun to shoot, and part of our heritage. That being said, the AR10 is the rifle for now. AR's are so modular. They allow to to configure the rifle so many ways. You can even "dress" it for the day's duty. I would look for something with a full working front rail to attach optics, bipods, lights, lasers, grips etc. A NM M1A would be an awesome thing to own, but to get started in 7.62 semi auto and other adjacent calibers, it's hard to beat many of the wonderful AR's that are out there.

I find shooting my M1A scout iron sights very rewarding. So does everyone else that shoots it. Its no target rifle, but it sure is fun.

My vote is for the AR-10 because it's both accurate and fun to shoot. If ammo pricing is a factor then you might be better off considering something like a premium AR-15 such as POF, LMT, BCM, Noveske, etc.

Just depends on what you want to do with it. Yes, the modularity of the AR is well proven, as is it's inherent accuracy compared with the M1A/M14 platform. If it's gonna be a plinker, and you plan on sticking with irons, maybe the M1A is up your alley. If it's not, you can always sell it for near what you paid for it, and buy yourself an AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is for the AR-10 because it's both accurate and fun to shoot. If ammo pricing is a factor then you might be better off considering something like a premium AR-15 such as POF, LMT, BCM, Noveske, etc. </div></div>

I am running the 308 AR platform with 2 uppers. One "urban/tactical" one "precision."

BMT

To me, the M1A is the most beautiful long gun ever made. There is just something about it that I find aesthetically appealing.

I have never owned an M1A (one day I will, just to get it out of my system), but I have shot a few owned by friends. None of those said friends had an easy time making their M1A very accurate. Can it be done? Yes. Will it be cheap? Nope.

I have an AR in 308, but originally wanted an M1A. I decided against it because my pocketbook can't sustain the M1A just yet.

I'd love to have both, but an AR sure is a lot easier.

Really, for me it would come down to whether I planned on using optics, or irons.
If optics are planned, then I'd stay with the AR10 style rifle.
If irons were envisioned as the primary, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either rifle.
M1A's can be finicky about wandering POI, but are so soft in recoil and make a wonderful sound.
They have excellent sights which is why I'd never scope one.
They are beautiful.
If you go the M1A route, but a Fulton Armory and you'll get good components.
Buy a new rifle from Springfield Armory and you will not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really, for me it would come down to whether I planned on using optics, or irons.
If optics are planned, then I'd stay with the AR10 style rifle.
If irons were envisioned as the primary, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either rifle.
They have excellent sights which is why I'd never scope one.
They are beautiful.
</div></div>

I would go for the AR10. It opens up more options than the M1A. I like the M1A for its historical value and if I were going to get one, I would go for an older one myself. They are a lot of fun, but I would want to keep it non scoped and thus would be used for a different purpose than my AR10.

An m1A ina chassis can be quite accurate and a pleasure to shoot---I think it is a matter of personal opinion

I sold my M1A to go to an AR10 platform. You get so much more for your money. When I looked at what I had spent on the M1A after everything was purchased, I was shocked. You get so much more for your money with an AR. Not only that, but there is a much greater array of accessories and components that you can buy for the AR platform, and the platform itself is more easily serviced by the end user than the M1A platform.