• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Yellowstone Bison

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
I guess this is a frequent occurrence, where people get too close to the critters, but she is lucky.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBn_kNE1st0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBn_kNE1st0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Yellowstone Bison

The stupidity of people has no bounds. They have signs everywhere and rangers talking with the tourists not to approach the bison. But they do it anyway.

At 31 secs something appears to hit the buffalo and fall to the ground then it starts bucking. Did they throw something to get its attention. Glad she is ok but a wild animal is just that a wild animal and is meant to be left alone.

Hold my beer and watch this! Good lord some people have there head so far up there #$$!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 31 secs something appears to hit the buffalo and fall to the ground then it starts bucking. Did they throw something to get its attention. Glad she is ok but a wild animal is just that a wild animal and is meant to be left alone. </div></div>

I think it might have had something stuck to its horn that fell off as it raised its head, the horn is is lighter/whiter in an earlier frame and then darkens up when it raises its head and that piece flys off.

Anyway.....they are both morons, no way around it.

LUCKY LADY, bison are huge animals and pretty quick, you wouldn't catch me that close to one.

At least she is owning up to being a dumbass and not trying to blame a wild animal for what they do naturally.

sad thing is I saw this with a Asian family on the Gyser basis about 10 years ago. They wanted to get their little one up close until a ranger saw them and went nuts.

cant fix stupid but these critters sure can stomp it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stupidity of people has no bounds. They have signs everywhere and rangers talking with the tourists not to approach the bison. But they do it anyway. </div></div>

yup... Welcome to Wyoming...

Here is your sign !
crazy.gif

I was showing this to my daughter and she saw it on the news. There was a third party that threw a stick at the bison and that set it off.
We saw a oriental couple try to get close to a bison for a pic at Old Faithful but the ranger walking nearby watching it stopped them right away.
I can't believe how many people get toooo close to wild animals.
I take a large telephoto lens
grin.gif

Almost ten years ago I was visiting a friend in SD. We went to Custer State Park where they have a big bison herd. I've always been fascinated with bison and wanted to take some good pictures of them. When we finally found them they were up on a hillside. I put the 200mm lens on my camera and my buddy's dad and I went up to get closer to the herd. He told me we didn't want to get too close or move too fast as they lose about 3 or 4 tourists a year to the buffalo. I got as close as I felt comfortable. The big bull couldn't have cared less but there was a mama with a calf that was definitely keeping a close eye on me.
buffalo.jpg

I know a lady who has a pair of "pet" bison. She's had them for many years since they were babies but she still understands what the boundaries are. These animals are way too powerful to just go blindly fucking around with them. Even the "pet" ones - way moreso the wild ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stupidity of people has no bounds. They have signs everywhere and rangers talking with the tourists not to approach the bison. But they do it anyway. </div></div>

You can thank Walt Disney for that!

First part of the story it was her "friend". At the end it was her "husband" and people actually believe the shit that gets reported?

They tell everyone that goes into Yellowstone to stay 25 yards away from all wildlife and 100 yards away from the bears and bison. You think people would catch the clue that bison are in the same category as bears.

There are plenty of opportunities, whether you like it or not, to get closer to Bison. They walk down the middle of the road and right in front of your car. I had several times where if I'd been dumb enough I could have rolled the window down and touched one. And that was just being stuck in a Bison jam.

I was at Cade's Cove several years ago and watched a teen chasing a medium size bear that was walking across a parking lot. The bear changed course a couple of times but the kid was persistant, finally the bear false charged. Got his point across, and quick!

In Yellowstone you have animals who have become smart through regular interactions with people.

People on the other hand have not been educated on how to deal with them. All the signs, warnings are just not as effective for some people as a hard bony protuberance, driven up the ass!

I watched a near death experience in front of the lake lodge last year while traveling with family last july. Dumbass with autowinde camera gets in the face of a bison @ less than 20 yrds and lets it go. It spooked the bull luckily for the idiot the bull was smarter than the dumbass with the camera.

wow that video has me re-thinking my plan to get a Grizzly to eat from my hand
grin.gif

HELENA, Mont. — At least one bear rampaged through a campground Wednesday near Yellowstone National Park in the middle of the night, killing one person and injuring two others during a terrifying attack that forced people to hide in their cars as the animal tore through tents.

Three separate attacks left a male dead and a female and another male injured at the Soda Butte campground. The female suffered severe lacerations from bites on her arms, and the surviving male was bitten on his calf. Both were hospitalized in Cody, Wyo.

Wildlife officials did not release the identities or ages of the victims. A response team was being sent to piece together what happened.

"We don't know if it was one bear, two bears, a black bear or grizzly bear," Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks spokesman Ron Aasheim said. "Obviously, the bear's gone now. Will it come back tonight? That's the question."

Authorities were setting traps and seeking bear hair, saliva and droppings while measuring the bite wounds of victims to determine the type and number of bears involved in the attack.

Park County dispatchers took a 911 call early Wednesday from a male reporting that a bear had bitten his ankle and was tearing up tents, Aasheim said. Dispatchers got two more calls, including one from a man who said a bear bit the leg of his daughter's boyfriend.

At 3:50 a.m., park officials went through the campground to advise campers to get into their cars. A half-hour later, the dead male was discovered at a campsite. Authorities then evacuated the campground, sending campers to nearby hotels.

Happened last night.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38451965/ns/us_news-life/

If you use stop action you can see what appears to be a stick hit the bison about 32 seconds in. That's what caused it to spook and jump. My son and I went thru Custer SP on my Harley a few years ago and the bison will literally block the road. You sure do feel helpless sittin on a bike in traffic with 100 head of horns around you.
JH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acehigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My son and I went thru Custer SP on my Harley a few years ago and the bison will literally block the road. You sure do feel helpless sittin on a bike in traffic with 100 head of horns around you.
JH </div></div>
I was up there during that event that happens in August but I was with my buddy and his dad in a minivan when we went through Custer State Park. The year before we got stuck in a wild burro traffic jam.

this is why i dont like national parks. they basically put wild animals on display. people obviously bug the animals just so they can get a picture. then when an animal does what is perfectly natural and what is expected people feel bad for the person who was attacked and in some cases track down the animal who attacked and kill it. now dont get me wrong i aint no PETA hippy tree hugger, im an avid hunter but i whole heartedly agree with treating animals ethically and conserving wildlife.national parks have the right idea but destroying natural habitat but putting in gift shops hotels and restraunts just to get a few more tourist dollars just aint right. a few roads and nature trails inside the park is all that is needed. sorry for the rant but things like this just kinda rub me the wrong way.