• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yellowstone

Hattrick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2014
Heading west for vacation and Yellowstone is one of are destinations along with the badlands and deadwood. We are looking to see the park from horseback any recommendations of outfitters or wranglers? It isn’t so much riding horses it’s about seeing the beautiful of the park off the main drag.
Thanks

I am going on a backcountry horseback fishing trip with Skyline Guest Ranch in August. They are on the North side of the park. Give them a look.

Check out Brooks Lake Lodge, they offer pack trips into the greater Yellowstone country. It will be well away from the Yellowstone tourons and a great experience in beautiful country.

Check with Hidden Creek Outfitters in Cody. We used them on an elk hunt in 2022.
They keep a catch pen next to the Shoshone River and do quite a few trail ride/camp groups during the offseason. I think they offer some rides that go into and out of Yellowstone. Good cowboys and good ponies. They keep up their tac and help do maintenance on the trails. If they can't help you, they would likely know who to point you to.

Make sure to hit the Cody museum in Cody they got a gazillion guns on display….
No shit.
I was totally blown away. Possibly the best I've seen. Never had a clue it was there and fortunately one of our buds that made it into Cody a day ahead of the hunt recommended going there.

Yellowstone is the best....make sure you see it all....either by horse or car. Check out the geothermals on the way to Old Faithful.

Additional things worth seeing: Mt. Rushmore. Devils Tower. Teton National Park. King Rope and Saddlery, and their Western Frontier Museum behind the store (Sheridan, WY). Maybe take a tram/gondola/quadchair ride up to Lone Peak at the Big Sky Ski resort.

Avoid "the reenactment" on the Reservation- we all know how it ends. I avoid anything on the Reservations because it's their laws that are enforced, not ours. Cross paths with one Res cop in a bad mood while you make an innocent mistake, and you'll think you're in a foreign country.

Reactions: jrassy
The Badlands NP is awesome IMO, but another reminder to not pet the fluffy cows.

Reactions: Glowie
Make sure to hit the Cody museum in Cody they got a gazillion guns on display….

Spent about a day in there. Amazing amount of stuff you have never seen. Glacier is pretty. I would take a trip to Yellowstone over Glacier x10. Better access, much easier to get away from people and much more wildlife.

Last edited:
If you get a chance, do the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Until I went I never knew Custer's brother died w/him. Something the history books/teaching I read and received either never knew, forgot, or excluded. From a tactical point of view its easy to see why it went down like it did, and I don't think the Gatling guns that were left behind, would have even made a difference.

Reactions: Schütze
2 days in the Cody Museum wouldn't be too much for me.

Also, if you go through Nebraska to get there, this is a great way to spend another day. They've got a huge collection of antique cars and other forms of transportation from Studebaker covered wagons on up.

If you get a chance, do the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Until I went I never knew Custer's brother died w/him. Something the history books/teaching I read and received either never knew, forgot, or excluded. From a tactical point of view its easy to see why it went down like it did, and I don't think the Gatling guns that were left behind, would have even made a difference.
I did a residency at Crow Agency on the rez beside the battlefield. Good history to see not much else around unless you go into Hardin and try some of the 20+ bars. I will say going by Red Lodge and the Beartooth Pass into the Yellowstone entrance closest to Little Bighorn is the most remote part of the park and the pass into Yellowstone is awesome. Good area to get away from people and see lots of wildlife.

I am local to the area, so I am a little jaded. I would drive through Yellowstone and see all the sights so you can say you have done it. There are far better places to take a back country horse ride in my opinion. Pretty much any of the wilderness areas in MT will have some type of outfitter that will offer a trip. The high mountain lake fishing trips are kind of fun. The fish aren't real big, but they usually are easy to catch and give you something to do.

Reactions: Shanghai McCoy
As a resident of WY, Yellowstone would be the last National Park that I would visit from Memorial Day weekend, till after Labor Day weekend. Most visited all of all parks, it's a train wreck. The magnitude of the douchebags you are competing with can be gauged by the amount of shit on their gubaru's luggage rack, they'll piss you off for the last 400 miles of your journey, no matter the route you take.
If hotpsots are a goal, make sure you don't have to holler and point something out to your wife and kids, you are about to be trampled by foreigners, and a 95lb Asian will most likely be sitting on your shoulders before the ordeal is over with. If you want reservations, make them now, both for lodging, and eating.
Instead of horseback trip, I'd find a helicopter tour, and try secure 3 full hours or what his fuel tank can withstand, as a guy above pointed, see more elsewhere, at cheaper rates. Horseback, you are paying for an experience, with some crap you may not want. Everything is at a premium from May 15th to Sept 15th.
I'm sounding like a real downer at the moment, but Deadwood nothing but a shitbox since gaming took over, old town Deadwood is long gone.

Mt Rushmore still cool, get a room in Keystone or Hill City, roll in around 4pm, grab a bite, go in the evening, see it in daylight, then stay till the lights come on. Badlands and Devils Tower always cool, as are other places on the route guys have mentioned.
I'd recommend Jellystone to anyone after Oct 1st till road closures, but if you can handle the people, go for it.

I went in May 2010 and the wife and I were pretty much alone for a lot of the trip. It's a really nice place when people are few. The roads in the northern part of the park were still closed due to snow.

RV'd at Fishing Bridge RV park inside Yellowstone NP in June one year, woke up to snow flurries falling and a thin layer of wet snow on the ground.

Reactions: Bender
It’s so ugly and horrible. Do not go.
B0CAAC7F-79FB-4C0B-9553-565BBE11DAF6.jpeg
A3CE3B04-D632-44F0-9D24-FAFDE2B9D7EF.jpeg
B5ABFE32-6073-4A16-9895-941C7B9D1B7A.jpeg
A42E2041-B496-442F-86FB-CAAC62C9B1C7.jpeg
6ECE93BF-B304-4F07-AC2F-3D05ACE8F46B.jpeg

If you get a chance, do the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Until I went I never knew Custer's brother died w/him. Something the history books/teaching I read and received either never knew, forgot, or excluded. From a tactical point of view it’s easy to see why it went down like it did, and I don't think the Gatling guns that were left behind, would have even made a difference.
IMG_5080.jpeg
Went there with this guy last September. Trip of a lifetime! The drive back from the battlefield through the Little Bighorn Mountains to Cody were we stayed for a couple of nights was incredible.

” I’ll be back” …. 😉

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I agree with Yellowstone as a tourist trap it's like a vacation to the mall at Xmas. But...... If you know that going in it's still fun. The areas outside of the park are even prettier and typically devoid of people.

As long as you're in the black hills, I would suggest Custer State Park. The needles highway is pretty cool. If you are a motorcycle guy, try Iron horse road. It has more hair pins than the tail of the dragon and has a couple pig tails that are a blast.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
When I think of Yellowstone, I think of "2012" and John Cusack's character saying, "We're going to need a bigger plane."

As a resident of WY, Yellowstone would be the last National Park that I would visit from Memorial Day weekend, till after Labor Day weekend. Most visited all of all parks, it's a train wreck. The magnitude of the douchebags you are competing with can be gauged by the amount of shit on their gubaru's luggage rack, they'll piss you off for the last 400 miles of your journey, no matter the route you take.
If hotpsots are a goal, make sure you don't have to holler and point something out to your wife and kids, you are about to be trampled by foreigners, and a 95lb Asian will most likely be sitting on your shoulders before the ordeal is over with. If you want reservations, make them now, both for lodging, and eating.
Instead of horseback trip, I'd find a helicopter tour, and try secure 3 full hours or what his fuel tank can withstand, as a guy above pointed, see more elsewhere, at cheaper rates. Horseback, you are paying for an experience, with some crap you may not want. Everything is at a premium from May 15th to Sept 15th.
I'm sounding like a real downer at the moment, but Deadwood nothing but a shitbox since gaming took over, old town Deadwood is long gone.

Mt Rushmore still cool, get a room in Keystone or Hill City, roll in around 4pm, grab a bite, go in the evening, see it in daylight, then stay till the lights come on. Badlands and Devils Tower always cool, as are other places on the route guys have mentioned.
I'd recommend Jellystone to anyone after Oct 1st till road closures, but if you can handle the people, go for it.
You should see the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which is actually the most visited park with more than 3 times the visitors of Yellowstone. The traffic and tourists are awful.

You should see the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which is actually the most visited park with more than 3 times the visitors of Yellowstone. The traffic and tourists are awful.
I missed it by this ( ) much, lol.
Thanks for the correction.

The Badlands NP is awesome IMO, but another reminder to not pet the fluffy cows.
Well if you must pet the fluffy cows, make sure someone is filming, I mean documenting it . Ah memories

Reactions: Bender
If it didn’t make it so hard to get around the whole area here in TN, I would have let you slide. 🤣🤣🤣
I wonder why people actually do that to themselves. I'm not a tourist in any fashion, so clouded. Wife and I went to disneyland, Christmas of 84 or 85, 1 shit meal and 1.5hrs later, we called it quits. She suggested knotts berry farm, I countered with booze and sex, head north tomorrow.

• Love
Wait until the fall color season arrives to go to the Smokies, you'll have the entire park to yourselves.

• Haha