• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yes I know.....Cerakote oven....please help me!

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
So I am in the need of a Cerakote oven soon. I am considering using something like double walled stove pipe on top of a hot plate like I have seen here. But I do have a gun cabinet that would be perfect size just sitting in my shop.

The cabinet is made out of plywood(not sure what thickness). My thoughts where to put insulation on the inside and make a cut out for something like a hot plate in the bottom of it. As well as adding thermometers in the top and bottom to keep an eye on the temps. Would this work at all?

If anyone here has any better ideas I would love to hear them, and yes I have looked at the other threads already, but when it comes to heating elements and wiring it is all over my head. If there is any way I can put this cabinet to use. I would also like to do this as cheaply as possible! Thanks guys!

Ben

Hospitals have a heated cart to deliver meals. If you can find a used one, they make a great baking oven.

If this is a one time use project, there are a few DIY videos making one from double walled heating duck and hot plates.

You can also buy a used electric stove off of craigs list and then cut a hole in the oven and rivet / bolt on a piece of ducting or a sheet metal box to fit a barreled action.

I was hoping to use this setup quite a few times if things go according to plan! Will the double walled ovens not hold up for multiple uses?

Ben

While wasting time at the local Academy, I spotted some meat smokers out front. a couple looked tall enough to put complete rifles in. could you just put a water heater blanket on it, and supply heat with an electric hot plate?

While wasting time at the local Academy, I spotted some meat smokers out front. a couple looked tall enough to put complete rifles in. could you just put a water heater blanket on it, and supply heat with an electric hot plate?

The smoker may be a route I eventually go. Do you mean the blanket and hot plate for my gun cabinet? That is kind of what I am thinking at the moment.. Guess it's worth a shot!

I probably wasn't paying attention. I was thinking about the smoker because it was electric, with thermostat control. for the wood cabinet I'd paint inside with high temp paint, like the stuff made for BBQ pits. Then get a sheet of the foil backed foam board and put that on the outside. the heater (hot plate) with thermostat ought to be easy to find.