• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Yet another "which rifle" thread - looking for a great 22lr factory rifle

gasdoc09

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Virginia
Background: I'm a rimfire newbie, looking to get my first quality 22lr bolt rifle for target shooting. Not looking for a project - really prefer one that requires no work out of the box, and when I miss with decent ammo (I have a case of Wolf Match Target to get started with), I'll know it was me and not the gun. About the only post-purchase work I'd be happy doing is getting the barrel threaded for my Sparrow, if it doesn't come threaded from the factory.

Top 3 rifles I've considered so far

Sako P94S (awfully hard to find)
Sako Quad
Anschutz 64 MP R

I do like what I've read about the Anschutz but that 25.5" barrel is pretty long, and then I'll be putting a suppressor on it.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Quad since there's one listed on Gunbroker as in stock, with the barrel threaded already, for $1078. The Anschutz would be past $1500 after a trip to Adco for threading. That's about the top end of what I'm willing to spend on a 22, for now.

Any other strong contenders I should consider for an out-of-the-box accurate bolt 22lr? Bonus points for having a threaded barrel already. Thank you.

If you must suppress, go with the Sako Quad. I've never seen it myself, but many, many say never cut down an Annie or mess with the crown. I'll add though, unless I was trying to stay super quiet, there is little reason in suppressing a .22 when shooting SV ammunition. My 40x is insanely quiet shooting Eley or Lapua match.

If it were me, here would be my thought process:
Accuracy - Anschutz
Quiet - Sako

Thanks, yes I must suppress. Will be doing lots of back yard shooting, want to be courteous to nearby neighbors.

CZ 455, either factory threaded or a threaded aftermarket barrel (barrels are easy to interchange).

Yeah, like Merlin sez.......buy the Suhl so I can quit thinking about it.

I think long barrels with suppressor are sweet!

Another vote for the quad. She just laid down some nice groups .693" average at 100.

Here is a thought... I have several of these in different configurations.. They shoot well and are very dependable..CZ-USA -> CZ 455 American Synthetic Suppressor-Ready

Ron, didn't know CZ made that version in your link.

I recently bought this synthetic 455 with a 20 1/2 inch barrel and cut it back to 16 1/2" then threaded it, also did some bolt work. It will be a project rifle.

CZ455work2_zpsb370f97a.jpg

CZ455work_zps175518be.jpg

Geno, sometimes shorter is betterer:D

Thanks for the explanation, DFOOSKING. I recognized the rings and just figured they were capped with concrete below that ridge sticking up. Know what you mean about some people destroying and leaving messes on the local range. Our club finally had to take serious steps to ask our local Sheriff Department to patrol our Range (since it's outside the City Limits), and if a person is caught trespassing, or destroy Range property, they are to arrest them and we will prosecute, period! It has worked and our local Range is without vandalism.

Thanks ... think I'll jump on that Sako this week. Looks like a nice host for a Sparrow.

After reading a couple other threads here lately, I don't think I can make myself get the Anschutz and cut down the barrel.