• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors YHM Phantom 7.62 compared to ???

yellowXJ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Frederick, CO
I'm in the market for my first can. The YHM Phantom 7.62 is obviously attractive to me because of relative price and also comes from a reputable company. In as much research as I have been able to do on the internet, the only real negative that I have been able to find is the weight. 99% of my shooting will be done from prone where I will not need to carry the rifle soweight is not a real concern. This will be shared between my bolt .308 and semi-auto heavy barelled AR-15 in .223.

I'd like to hear some people with first hand experience with the YHM can chime in and tell me how it compares to other, more expensive suppressors. I've heard great things about AAC, TBAC, etc. but I'm curious what you get for the substantial price delta. Also, is there anyone out there that uses the YHM 7.62 can for 5.56? Results?

Re: YHM Phantom 7.62 compared to ???

I have a thread on YHM can that I use on a 20" .308 and a 24" GAP .308. Does a great job for the money. As you noted, it is a heavy can compared to others out there but to me is not worth the extra 500 for the others. I also have a AAC .223 can for the .223 rifles so I do not use the YHM on them. I do have an adapter and have shot the YHM on the.223s and it suppresses quite well, just way too muzzle heavy on the ARs. Here is a vid of the YHM can on my .243 fired indooors.

Hogshooter -
Thanks for the feedback and for the video! Much appreciated.

Your research has turned up good info, its a great can sound wise, accurate if its a thread on, just heavy. Ive had one for 3 years or so now and its served me very well, Ive recently switched to a 30P-1 but they dont sound any different, I just wanted something lighter.

Good luck

Just ordered a Phantom 7.62 thread-on and this thread is very reassuring. Thanks for the info guys and good luck on your decision!

This was enough to push me over the edge. Ordered mine yesterday from my local dealer... now the wait before the longer wait begins.

I heard the YHM titanium QD can and it was pretty good - better than I remember the heavy steel one being. I could not distinguish the YHM titanium from a 762SDN-6 - they sounded the same to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your research has turned up good info, its a great can sound wise, <span style="color: #CC0000">accurate if its a thread on</span>, just heavy. Ive had one for 3 years or so now and its served me very well, Ive recently switched to a 30P-1 but they dont sound any different, I just wanted something lighter.

Good luck </div></div>

And how is accuracy if you went with the QD option? I ordered one for my 11.3" 300 blackout and am thinking of getting a barrel threaded for the QD attachment on one of my bolt guns.

It wont matter in a 11.3" AR.... Get the QD model for that application.

The new Ti version of the phantom is pretty wicked! I got mine a few weeks back and I really like it. It competes with about anything out there as far as suppression and ease of use.

I have one in QD. I use it on my:
Savage 110 24" in 308
AR15 - 10.5 in
AR15 - 24 in
Plan on using it in a 300 BO build.

I am very happy with it. It is a beast though, especially on the SBR'ed AR15. Very front heavy but manageable. Sound reduction is great on the bolt gun. Accuracy hasn't suffered too much. It shoots 1/2in at 100 yards and opened up to just under an inch at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanReed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy hasn't suffered too much. It shoots 1/2in at 100 yards and opened up to just under an inch at 100 yards. </div></div>

My groups actually tightened up with the QD Phantom 7.62 on my .308 700P.

My groups also tightened up with my YHM 7.62 Phantom QD. I'd really like to get one of the Titanium models as the steel one is heavy!

Tell me that video was filmed in downtown San Fran out of your appartment window. HA

I love my 7.62 QD but just like everyone has said. It's heavy.
I'm not to worried about that, because the whole rig was built to be a heavy, long range blaster that's shot prone 99% of the time.
I'm running it on a 24" .243WSSM AR and a 24" .300 SAUM and it works fine on both.

Here's some more HD footage of shooting it indoors. No hearing protection needed. (we did this same thing with unsuppressed 22 pistols a few days later and about blew our ears out.) And as you can tell...accuracy is just fine with the YHM QD mount. Others may be different, but YHM's design works just fine.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T84vraiLUA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My QD titanium is sweeeeeeeeet! My groups got a little smaller as well. I know you already ordered your can, but I got to say you'd really love the titanium. Well worth it. I have adapters for all my AR-type weapons and use 1 can for all-308 and 556.

I have the YHM 7.62QD suppressor and really like it...Yea its heavy, Enhanced accuracy on everything Ive had it on from a 300 Ultra down to a 223, 308 and 223 are hearing safe...Course I'm half deaf but nobody else complains!

Whats the name of that little computer you were using that told you how much elevation, windage etc you need?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my 7.62 QD but just like everyone has said. It's heavy.
I'm not to worried about that, because the whole rig was built to be a heavy, long range blaster that's shot prone 99% of the time.
I'm running it on a 24" .243WSSM AR and a 24" .300 SAUM and it works fine on both.

Here's some more HD footage of shooting it indoors. No hearing protection needed. (we did this same thing with unsuppressed 22 pistols a few days later and about blew our ears out.) And as you can tell...accuracy is just fine with the YHM QD mount. Others may be different, but YHM's design works just fine.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T84vraiLUA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard the YHM titanium QD can and it was pretty good - better than I remember the heavy steel one being. I could not distinguish the YHM titanium from a 762SDN-6 - they sounded the same to me. </div></div>

That makes sense because the YHM TI metered .6DB quieter than the SDN-6 at ~141.8DB average in Byron's independent test.

1DB is the threshold at which the human ear can perceive a change in sound.

The 7.62SD performed 3DB's better.

LOOOVE my YHM 7.62 QD!!
Shoot it on ar15 in 5.56 and 7.62 not even close to needing hearing protection.
Kills recoil and tightened up my groups on both weapons systems.
4 months on the dot waiting on stamp
Make extra copies and stick them in your safe and of coarse keep one on you at all times.
Extra qd flash hiders are a pain to get. They seem to go in and out of stock quickly. Expect to pay around $70 for 5.56

If you had a choice between the YHM Stainless or Titanium and the Titanium was only $200 more, which one would you take and why?

Besides the weight difference, my concern is if there happens to be a baffle strike or the outside of the can takes a nice hit on a rock, tree etc, will the Ti really stand up to it, or is the stainless more "field friendly"?

I personally would invest the extra $200 on another toy..
I can't attest to the integrity of the outside of one can or the other as far as drops or banging into objects in the field, but I do know that the baffle strikes are covered under warranty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litotes15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do know that the baffle strikes are covered under warranty </div></div>

Now that is some funny shit... What else you selling?

"YHM Limited Warranty
YHM products are warrantied for life to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any such defect for which YHM is given written notice by a customer will be remedied by YHM. All returns must include a copy of the invoice. Warranty claims for YHM products purchased through other distributors must be handled according to the distributor’s return policy. YHM does not warranty against products that are deemed to be damaged through unreasonable use, corrosion, neglect, or ordinary wear and tear."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the name of that little computer you were using that told you how much elevation, windage etc you need?
</div></div>

ipod touch or iphone with ballistic FTE or Shooter installed

3DHUSKER you have a YHM Suppressor? Because the box that mine came in doesn't have a limited warranty it says lifetime warranty sooooo I'm not trying to sell anything there sugarlips just reading the paperwork and the box it came with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litotes15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because the box that mine came in doesn't have a limited warranty it says lifetime warranty sooooo I'm not trying to sell anything there sugarlips just reading the paperwork and the box it came with. </div></div>

Yes, please provide warranty documentation that states YHM covers baffle strikes.

If they cover your baffle strikes they surly cover you falling on the ground and putting a ding in the case.
smile.gif

No, I do not have one but if they are going to cover customer retardation I may have to pick one up.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litotes15</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> just reading the paperwork and the box it came with. </div></div>

Ok sugarlips, you need to re-read your warranty card.

I just got off the phone with YHM and was going to order one and asked them about your statement that baffle strikes are covered.
They refereed me to the warranty statement that I quoted you off their site.
Needless to say they didn't get the sale.

Warranty only covers defects, so if a baffle comes loose and is hit then yes but of you run a subsonic round into one or thread a barrel non concentric and have a baffle strike no.
So bottom line is their warranty is just like any others. Baffle strikes are not covered, defects in the product are covered.

Also if you fall on your can and a rock makes a ding in it that is not covered either, but if you ask real nice they might fix it for you for a small fee.

Not trying to get off topic here, but I am curious to know How do you tell if your barrel threads are concentric?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litotes15</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> just reading the paperwork and the box it came with. </div></div>

Ok sugarlips, you need to re-read your warranty card.

I just got off the phone with YHM and was going to order one and asked them about your statement that baffle strikes are covered.
They refereed me to the warranty statement that I quoted you off their site.
Needless to say they didn't get the sale.

Warranty only covers defects, so if a baffle comes loose and is hit then yes but of you run a subsonic round into one or thread a barrel non concentric and have a baffle strike no.
So bottom line is their warranty is just like any others. Baffle strikes are not covered, defects in the product are covered.

Also if you fall on your can and a rock makes a ding in it that is not covered either, but if you ask real nice they might fix it for you for a small fee.

</div></div>

Threads must be concentric to the bore for best accuracy and least possibility of a baffle strike.

When you buy a can they should include instructions to do a check on bore alignment. That is the fast, easy and non scientific way to do it.
Best way is to have a competent gunsmith check it. Keyword "competent".

G.A.P. threads all my pipes.
http://www.gaprecision.net/

Gotcha... Arent there small pocket sized calculators out there that are meant for the "job"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the name of that little computer you were using that told you how much elevation, windage etc you need?
</div></div>

ipod touch or iphone with ballistic FTE or Shooter installed </div></div>

Doesn't seem like anyone really minds paying less for their YHM cans and obviously they seem to reduce the decibels as well as the more expensive counterparts.

Will give the YHM a chance for one of my 308's

I also have the YHM 762QD and it works outstanding on my 308 bolt and my 223 ar. You will love it!

My YHM SS Phantom 7.62 QD not only made my 5R more accurate (perhaps because it's easier to shoot with the can on?) but the repeatability is outstanding. I have no indexing mark on the can or barrel, just screw it on until is stops clicking. Take the can off and my POI changes by exactly -2 MOA every single time without fail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotcha... Arent there small pocket sized calculators out there that are meant for the "job"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the name of that little computer you were using that told you how much elevation, windage etc you need?
</div></div>

ipod touch or iphone with ballistic FTE or Shooter installed </div></div> </div></div>

It's not an iTouch or an iPhone. It was my old HTC Eris phone running Shooter though. I still run it but now with my HTC Thunderbolt. In the video, I was using the internal level of my phone to check the angle of the shot. Minimal as it was, when I'm just shooting for practice, it's worth checking.
I've compared it to a Trimble Nomad with blu-tooth kestral data and dope for a .260 and it was within .2 MOA at 1200 yds. Not bad for a $10 application.