• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors YHM Phantom SS 7.62 OK for 5.56?

NWhairlessyeti

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2010
Oregon City, Or
Hey all. I am looking to buy a YHM SS phantom suppressor. I am curious if the 7.62 works okay on the 5.56 as far as actual sound suppression? I am not sure whether I will buy the 5.56 or the 7.62?
If anyone has some input on actual use of a 7.62 suppressor on a 5.56 I would like to hear what you have to say.
Also would like to know if there is another brand that I should be looking at other than the YHM?
All input is appreciated...
Thank you,
Dan

Re: YHM Phantom SS 7.62 OK for 5.56?

If you've got other calibers between 5.56 and 7.62...then a 7.62 can for all is a good place to <span style="text-decoration: underline">start</span>. Eventually, you may want a dedicated suppressor for your 5.56, but by planning ahead...you'll be able to cover all your bases, for now.

I have the 7.62 QD and although I don't run it on a 5.56, I DO run it on my .243WSSM and it works more than good enough. I have plenty of video shooting it inside a building with no sound dampening carpet or furniture and the suppression is just fine.

Like I said though, eventually, you may wish to choose a dedicated 5.56 suppressor, because the 7.62 SS Phantom is grossly over sized. Think of it like putting a truck muffler on your scooter. It might make it quiet, but the length and weight are a point of diminished return.

I'm in the same boat regarding a YHM 762 Phantom can. I have multiple 556 AR's and only one .308. Budget dictates only buying one can right now. From all that I have read the 762 can runs about 3db's louder on a 5.56 but is mitigated by the larger volume of the 762 can.

The only drawback is obviously the 762 phantom is larger both in length and diameter and heavier then the 556 phantom

i purchased a aac cyclone which is a 7.62 can but i intend to use it on my target ar15.. it is always shot from the prone so the extra weight and length wont be an issue..it really depends on how you intend to use your rifle as to whether the added weight and length will come into play..

I have the YHM 7.62 and I run it on my AR occasionally. I have to say, on a 16" AR it is still pretty damn loud!!. It may be a bit different on a longer barrel but like I said 16" was still uncomfortable the last time I shot it with the 7.62.

Now, different cans will do better jobs on smaller calibers than others based on the baffle design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you've got other calibers between 5.56 and 7.62...then a 7.62 can for all is a good place to <span style="text-decoration: underline">start</span>. Eventually, you may want a dedicated suppressor for your 5.56, but by planning ahead...you'll be able to cover all your bases, for now.

I have the 7.62 QD and although I don't run it on a 5.56, I DO run it on my .243WSSM and it works more than good enough. I have plenty of video shooting it inside a building with no sound dampening carpet or furniture and the suppression is just fine.

Like I said though, eventually, you may wish to choose a dedicated 5.56 suppressor, because the 7.62 SS Phantom is grossly over sized. Think of it like putting a truck muffler on your scooter. It might make it quiet, but the length and weight are a point of diminished return. </div></div>

The 7.62 can, because of the larger bore diameter (not sure if this is the correct term for suppressors, but for lack of a better word I am rolling with it) will allow more gases to escape when shooting 5.56, making it louder than a dedicated 5.56 can. Something to keep in mind. But like c_bass16 states, its a good place to start if you just want to initially purchase one can.

Put a little water in it and rock on. I use the exact set up on my 300 blb 9" and my 556 10.5" and love it. ( yhm TI )
Sounds GREAT, but..... I ran R-1340 radial engines on my cropdusters for 12 years with no hearing protection,so I am half deaf anyway !!

Can anyone tell me how the AAC suppressors stack up against the YHM? Just saw a clip on "shooting Gallery" about the AAC stuff. Is it worth the extra money to go with the AAC. Some of the production I saw looked interesting such as how they weld all the way around the baffles for strength to the finishing of the product.
Any input on the AAC vs. YHM?

Never owned an aac. The price on the yhm ti and the no b.s.warranty sold me on it. I have a mixed bag, swr,silencerco,and now a yhm. So far, so good with all of them.

Looking here and doing some other reading would it be worth the extra money for the TI YHM whether I decide to go 5.56 or 7.62?
Not opposed to the extra weight, I am a bigger guy so that really does not matter. I may end up just going with the 5.56.
So at this point is it worth the extra money, or do I put that money towards a different toy?

I have an AAC Cyclone- k (direct thread on) and a YHM SS both 308 and I prefer the Cyclone over the YHM. The YHM is a good budget option and it does a good job but the Cyclone weighs much less and in my opinion is quieter. If you are shooting prone and weight isn't an issue the YHM will serve you well but if you can swing a better suppressor I would after all you will have it for the rest of your life more than likely.

I have used the YHM on a 16" AR and it is hearing safe but not quiet.

I said the YHM would be my only one and I just wanted to mess around with it. Now I have three.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an AAC Cyclone- k (direct thread on) and a YHM SS both 308 and I prefer the Cyclone over the YHM. The YHM is a good budget option and it does a good job but the Cyclone weighs much less and in my opinion is quieter. If you are shooting prone and weight isn't an issue the YHM will serve you well but if you can swing a better suppressor I would after all you will have it for the rest of your life more than likely.

I said the YHM would be my only one and I just wanted to mess around with it. Now I have three. </div></div>

I agree that "once you pop, you can't stop", but here are some stats...just to offer the OP some apples to apples.

The Cyclone-K meters almost identical to the Phantom, with the Phantom edging it out by mere decimal points. Not even enough to notice. (You may be experiencing a difference in tone that you find more pleasant, but I, personally, do not like the tone of the Cyclone I've heard. It sounded like a tuning fork.)
Independant data

The length is almost the same...the Cyclone-K being 1/4 shorter.

Diameter is 1.5 on the Cyclone-K and 1.625 on the Phantom.

Wight is the difference, Cyclone-K being 10 oz less.

MSRP of the thread on Cyclone-K is $795
MSRP of the thread on Phantom is $650

To some people, that 10 oz is worth almost $150. To others, it's not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an AAC Cyclone- k (direct thread on) and a YHM SS both 308 and I prefer the Cyclone over the YHM. The YHM is a good budget option and it does a good job but the Cyclone weighs much less and in my opinion is quieter. If you are shooting prone and weight isn't an issue the YHM will serve you well but if you can swing a better suppressor I would after all you will have it for the rest of your life more than likely.

I said the YHM would be my only one and I just wanted to mess around with it. Now I have three. </div></div>

I agree that "once you pop, you can't stop", but here are some stats...just to offer the OP some apples to apples.

The Cyclone-K meters almost identical to the Phantom, with the Phantom edging it out by mere decimal points. Not even enough to notice. (You may be experiencing a difference in tone that you find more pleasant, but I, personally, do not like the tone of the Cyclone I've heard. It sounded like a tuning fork.)
Independant data

The length is almost the same...the Cyclone-K being 1/4 shorter.

Diameter is 1.5 on the Cyclone-K and 1.625 on the Phantom.

Wight is the difference, Cyclone-K being 10 oz less.

MSRP of the thread on Cyclone-K is $795
MSRP of the thread on Phantom is $650

To some people, that 10 oz is worth almost $150. To others, it's not.
</div></div>

I appreciate the info. I am leaning towards the YHM from what I have read and the input I am getting. Now would the cost for the titanium be worth it? I plan to do mixed shooting with it, prone, standing, whatever it may be. Weight to me is really not all that big of an issue as I mentioned. So besides weight are there other advantages to the Titanium?

The harmonics on the barrell will be better with the TI. If ya decide to get into 300 BLK SBR or AR pistol, you will be thankfull ya got the TI. I like my SBR's light and quick. I am glad I followed a friends advice and went ahead with the .30 TI YHM. All my Ar's are glad too !!!

I'm about to get the same thing. Good to hear from experience. Instead of the "gun shop experts"

On a further note, I have never owned a .556 can, but have shot a few, and I can honestly say that I can't tell the difference in a .556 vs. a .30 can. The value of having a .30 TI can that is so versatile made it a no brainer for me.
The guys that sell the cans probabley don't like to hear this.
JMHO.

any one have any videos of 30 cal suppressors on a 223? i have found several on youtube but was hoping to hear a few more?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 07zx6r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any one have any videos of 30 cal suppressors on a 223? i have found several on youtube but was hoping to hear a few more?</div></div>
Ya, like the guy shooting his rifle out the window of his back room! I found it in another discussion on the Hide. It is priceless!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IFlyLow1959</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The harmonics on the barrell will be better with the TI. If ya decide to get into 300 BLK SBR or AR pistol, you will be thankfull ya got the TI. I like my SBR's light and quick. I am glad I followed a friends advice and went ahead with the .30 TI YHM. All my Ar's are glad too !!! </div></div>

Barrel harmonics won't necessarily be "better"...they will just be different. There is nothing to prove that Ti will improve accuracy more than a SS can JUST BECAUSE OF HARMONICS, and there is nothing to prove that a Ti can will have a better tone or suppression level.
One could argue that a heavy suppressor actually helps to reduce barrel vibration, due to the increased weight. I'm not saying it does, but you can't tell me that it doesn't either. You could test POI shift, but unless you're measuring the amount the barrel vibrates with a micrometer...there is no way to say which one changes harmonics the most.

From my understanding, Titanium gives a stronger material in a lighter package. It gets hot much faster than SS, but it also cools faster too.
Titanium is great, if you can afford it, and the YHM is very competitively priced titanium can.
Just like with the SS Phantom...there are better .30 cal cans on the market, but when you add up pros and cons...it really comes down to the value that you place on the individual stats.

I think if you've got the spare coin, get the Ti can, simply because of the weight savings...but the OP, like myself, has placed a small value on weight.
I don't shoot off hand, and I'm a 30 year old former college athlete...I don't mind packing a heavy rifle and all the gear associated with it.
If you want a can for a "mountain" rifle...the SS is not for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 07zx6r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any one have any videos of 30 cal suppressors on a 223? i have found several on youtube but was hoping to hear a few more? </div></div>check out the oneill ops predator hunting supressed video i shot a .223 with a 30 cal can on it in that video

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IFlyLow1959</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The harmonics on the barrell will be better with the TI. If ya decide to get into 300 BLK SBR or AR pistol, you will be thankfull ya got the TI. I like my SBR's light and quick. I am glad I followed a friends advice and went ahead with the .30 TI YHM. All my Ar's are glad too !!! </div></div>

Barrel harmonics won't necessarily be "better"...they will just be different. There is nothing to prove that Ti will improve accuracy more than a SS can JUST BECAUSE OF HARMONICS, and there is nothing to prove that a Ti can will have a better tone or suppression level.
One could argue that a heavy suppressor actually helps to reduce barrel vibration, due to the increased weight. I'm not saying it does, but you can't tell me that it doesn't either. You could test POI shift, but unless you're measuring the amount the barrel vibrates with a micrometer...there is no way to say which one changes harmonics the most.

From my understanding, Titanium gives a stronger material in a lighter package. It gets hot much faster than SS, but it also cools faster too.
Titanium is great, if you can afford it, and the YHM is very competitively priced titanium can.
Just like with the SS Phantom...there are better .30 cal cans on the market, but when you add up pros and cons...it really comes down to the value that you place on the individual stats.

I think if you've got the spare coin, get the Ti can, simply because of the weight savings...but the OP, like myself, has placed a small value on weight.
I don't shoot off hand, and I'm a 30 year old former college athlete...I don't mind packing a heavy rifle and all the gear associated with it.
If you want a can for a "mountain" rifle...the SS is not for you.</div></div>

So, in your opinion there is no point spending the money unless weight is a major concern?

Thanks,
Dan

Correct.

FOR ME PERSONALLY, I would not buy a titanium suppressor for the extra money, UNLESS it also offers a substantial increase in suppression.

If two cans meter at the same dB level, one is titanium and $350 more. NOT WORTH IT FOR ME.

If the titanium suppressor is 10+ oz lighter, <span style="text-decoration: underline">AND</span> meters at least 3-5 db better...then I might consider it, but again...it depends on your budget.

The nice thing about it is that, unless you've got a lot of buddies that shoot suppressed with high dollar cans. You'll never know the difference and you're gonna be happy to have a can.
Save the $$ and put it toward your stamp.

The Titanium Phantom is worth the extra money--and it's still the cheapest ti suppressor I've seen. The 762 Phantom on the 556 works extremely well. If you are shooting supersonic ammo, the tiny difference between the 762 and 556 will be drowned out by the supersonic crack of the bullet anyway IMO. So, get the QD titanium 762 and a handful of adaptors for your ARs and run it, you won't regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtrmn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Titanium Phantom is worth the extra money--and it's still the cheapest ti suppressor I've seen. The 762 Phantom on the 556 works extremely well. If you are shooting supersonic ammo, the tiny difference between the 762 and 556 will be drowned out by the supersonic crack of the bullet anyway IMO. So, get the QD titanium 762 and a handful of adaptors for your ARs and run it, you won't regret it.</div></div>
I am really not sure the $300.00 is worth a few ounces on the end of the barrel? Like I have mentioned, weight does not really bother me. As for the QD I have not decided if I will do a direct mount or QD. I am not a big fan of the QD flash suppressors, just my opinion looks wise. I have 2 AR's and then a Tikka T3 Varminter that I plan to have the barrel threaded on. Anybody have input on the direct screw on vs. QD?

Good info. I've long been wanting a YHM but have been thinking the AAC might be where I'm heading now just with the weight difference and people keep claiming its 'quieter' than the YHM. Still a tough decision...

I run a Phantom 7.62QD on .223 to 30/06. We can't hunt suppressed so I use it practicing and weight is no issue. I still would have bought the Ti if it would have been available at the time. My main use is not scaring the heck out of the cows and my long range spot has some homes close enough to possibly be a nuisance. I know there are better cans but for my use and the value of the YHM its hard to beat. As far as harmonics it shifts some of my rifles....one shifts none. Its as simple as just recording the shift and adjusting because it is very repeatable. I think most cans are going to give some shift.

I have a SAS arbiter Ti in .30 cal that I run on the bolt rifle and the AR. I think it works great on both but I haven't been around a lot of cans. As was noted above. Its the way to start. These things will multiply in your safe...don't shoot them after midnight
smile.gif

Here in about 6 months or so.......you'll love it and wish you'd done it sooner. Far as I'm concerned the QD is the ONLY way to go if you're wanting to stifle multiple weapons. Saves all the wear and tear on your barrel threads. The YHM system is very simple and strong.
A couple things I've learned from mine:
I had a local machinist build me 2 alignment rods, 1 for 30 cal and 1 for 22 cal. I polished them glass-smooth after he built them for me. Built about 12" long. 2" or so of the rod is stepped down to just fit snugly in my barrel without damage to rifling. I install the QD adapter on the barrel and torque it down (I use 30 ft lbs), then install the suppressor and gently feed the alignment rod through the suppressor and into the barrel. If the rod comes out in the center of the exit hole of the suppressor you're good to go. You don't have to use this method, but do not fire it that first time without first checking alignment SOMEhow.
I've also found that if I screw the suppressor on the adapter TIGHT, it will tend to seize on the adapter after use and you'll have to strap-wrench it off. I think it's due to heat and carbon buildup. I now screw the suppressor on until it stops turning, then back it up until the teeth click into the very first notch. It may seem to wiggle or be "loose" but mine has had over 200 rounds through it in this position and has never backed off. Use a pencil and put a match-mark on it if you have doubts--that way you won't burn your hand checking it. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boattail308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just wanted to say my YHM Phantom is awesome...</div></div>

Agreed, I don't regret mine at all.

So, like the op asked.. how does 223 do in a .30 cal can? From what I gather the cyclone-k would be a good multi-gun can as it is shorter/lighter lending itself to the AR setup and still availible in 7.62 size for AR10 set up?

I was sold on the Sandstorm can, but how does that compare to the cyclone-k?

A 7.62 can on a 5.56 works rather well. It isn’t as quiet as the dedicated can, but it’s hard to distinguish from sonic crack unless you shoot side by side with a good dedicated 223 can. The big difference is how you use the rifle when the can is mounted. A 7.62 can is much larger dimensionally and heavier as well. It will change the balance and handling of the rifle more than a dedicated 5.56 can (the shorter the rifle the less it affect it has on balance). If it is for offhand shooting I would get a light compact dedicated 5.56 can. That being said you also need to consider that titanium is not as well suited for mag dumps and FA as stainless / inconel.

If this is for hunting I would get the lightest 7.62 can within your budget, use it on anything lesser than 7.62 (except rimfire) life is good.

If you are in Boise, you should get call Gemtech and you may be able to find out in person!
Hands on is the only way to go.

GEMTECH
P.O. Box 140618
Boise, ID 83714-0618
Shipping Address: (NOTE: We are not open to walk-in customers. You must call ahead for an appointment.)
GEMTECH
335 North Edgewood Lane, Suite #150
Eagle, ID 83616
PHONE:
Phn: 208.939.7222
Fax: 208.939.7804

Play video from 1:35 to 2:15. 10.5" Spikes Tactical LE upper and YHM SS Phantom 762. Notice the "smoke show" on the first 3 round fired...a little machine oil in the can burning off. I'm really pleased with this suppressor and it sits on multiple host including a 300WM.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hIPwjzBr4F0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hIPwjzBr4F0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

5.56 is loud pretty much any way you suppres it. Get the 762 YHM (ti if possible) and you'll be better off.

My Sandstorm works well on my .308 bolt, M1A with gas lock change, and several AR15 variants ... saved some $$ by going with the single 30 cal ...

My YHM Phantom 7.62 Ti works great on my 5.56. I have the QD version and have used it on my AR in 5.56 and 300BLK, LR308, R700 in 308 and am going to try it on my AR in .22LR. I know we've tried a 308 can on a .22LR before and it was nice.

I like the YHM so much I'm purchasing a 5.56 QD version.

If you haven't had the chance to try one, find a dealer that will let you put a few rounds down range. You'll be hooked.

Ken