• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors YMH Turbo 556 for Lefty with AR?

Greg88

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2019
Another question. I am looking at a suppressor for my 556 AR with an 18" barrel.
I think I have settled on a Turbo 556, seems hard to beat for price and performance combined, but I shoot left handed.
What is the Turbo 556 like on back pressure, is it an issue, or is there a better option out there I need to look at for shooting lefty?

I'm a lefty, ar15 with charging handle sux, I just got a stoner side charging upper and that fixed my problem.

Reactions: Greg88
I have a YHM Nitro, like it. Have heard good things about the Turbo also.

My ARs, at least, do not get over gassed from adding the suppressor. They run apparently the same, eject the same place, and I get no gas face, anywhere, even opposite shoulder.

It appears that this varies from gun to gun (based on how the system is balanced now), so no guarantees but I have not found issues from adding a YHM suppressor to my guns.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
If it generates good numbers at the muzzle, it's probably going to put a lot of gas in your face. All the YHM products appear to fit into that category from everything I have seen. I definitely would not buy without trying it first if it's critical to you.

Turns out I lied, a bit.

I have been shooting mostly with my goggle/glasses. And compared to what I have gotten from really over-gassed suppressed ARs — Feel the blast, get particles on your face — nothing.

But today I was shooting my Nitro on the SBR and had only normal household glasses as my eyepro. About 3/4 sec after firing, a notable acrid gas cloud wafts over my face after every shot. Enough that if I didn't get the followup shot off immediately, I had to wait 3-4 seconds to blink away the eye burn.

Then it was fine. No eye wash injury sort of thing, just annoying. So... I'll make a point of the better eyepro with the suppressed gun.

That's why I went with the side charger, my yhm is not out of jail yet but I'm using a gemtech tracker, for me it's unbearable because I don't always wear glasses

I almost gave up on the AR platform

I really like YHM stuff for the money. Their QD Mount is one of the best. If you’re worried about blowback you can always get an adjustable gas block for around $50. Even then you’re still going to tend to get more stuff blown in your face than normal. Without one you definitely will.

I love my YHM cans, have Nitro and ULT, and a Resonater in jail. All my AR's have adjustable gas blocks. Most have H2 or H3 buffers as well, those 2 things combined really cut down on the gas escaping around the action.

Being that you are a lefty, Lantac's enhanced BCG has the gas hole cut so that the the gas escapes the BCG (excuse my extreme technicality here) going forward toward the muzzle, instead of 90* directly out the side of the BCG. Midway has them on sale for a great price right now.

Another option is to get a lefty AR, I know stag makes one, I'm sure there are others.

Last edited:
My yhm got released from jail, I love the suppressor but even with the side charger I'm not too happy shooting it.
I don't get any gas in my left eye, but I still get some crap from the ejection port on the right side of my face.

So now I'm thinking of getting a left hand sidecharger to have the ejection port away from my face.

So just to be clear this has not really anything to do with the suppressor, just me being whimpy and spoiled

IMG_20190704_072831478.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
Do you have an adjustable gas block on that rifle? Specifically a Superlative Arms?

Do you have an adjustable gas block on that rifle? Specifically a Superlative Arms?
No I don't have an adjustable gasblock yet, that and the jp buffer assy is next.

Ok well there is your problem. A Superlative Arms AGB cuts down blowback by a very large amount.

Only after that and maybe a heavier buffer would I start looking at the lefty upper.

As a lefty I feel your pain. Anytime I shout my ar, most are SBRs, with a 556 specific can I hate it. For me the answer was use a .30cal can all the time. It’s still hearing safe and I get no AR Skeet in my face