• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You don’t know what you don’t know.

LuckyDuck

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    1713049409468.png

1713049920097.png

Over 70 years ago a team of engineers were neck deep in the Cold War and trying to find a solution on how to keep tabs on what the Soviets were doing- one engineer suggested that a plane be built that flew above their SAM capabilities... Can you imagine being a fly on the wall for that suggestion?

-LD

1713050393590.png

Over 60 years ago, a team of our brightest engineers sat at a table wondering how to counter the Soviet's once again. One engineer questioned whether they could build a plane that flew faster than their SAM's...

-LD

View attachment 8396002
    Over 70 years ago a team of engineers were neck deep in the Cold War and trying to find a solution on how to keep tabs on what the Soviets were doing- one engineer suggested that a plane be built that flew above their SAM capabilities... Can you imagine being a fly on the wall for that suggestion?

-LD

Francis Gary Powers would like to refute the engineers claim of the U-2 having the ability to fly above the Soviet SAMs.

Reactions: EddieNFL and lash
    In tonight's edition of a single person's idea that changed everything by understanding the obvious but their initial suggestion being far outside of the 'groupthink' box- I bring you the development of the A-10 Thunderbolt/Warthog.

As I understand it- the USA was coming out of Vietnam and still neck deep into the Cold War with the Soviet Union and the stakes were still high with both sides waiting for what was perceived as an inevitable nuclear exchange between the two nations. One of the problems that were at the forefront of all of the strategists minds was countering the Soviet Union's ability to manufacture Tanks.

Admittedly- I don't have the bandwidth tonight to provide supporting stories to corroborate this as I prefer to do but as relayed to me by several AF officers (so that may be a clue that it's biased). A bunch of military strategists argued for a long time on how to counter the Soviet Union's tank production and increase our production to meet it (that much is rather believable to me). Then there was one person with a counter thought to the groupthink that had the idea and successfully pitched it that we were approaching the problem the wrong way by looking at going "tank for tank" with the Soviet Union and instead to develop a new counter-tank weapon.

The way the story went from there is for the first time in history- the anti-tank gun was developed in response and once that was designed to meet it's stated goal- they then took the gun and asked the aircraft manufacturers to build a plane around the gun rather than build a plane and retrofit a gun to it. And that became the A-10 which is quite an aircraft on its own merit. I understand that it has an incredible survivability ability to damage and is absolutely adored by the grunts but for decades has been offered time and time again as a budget cutting measure because the AF doesn't seem nearly as thrilled as our nation's ground pounders in keeping it in inventory. But that's today- as for the story, the introduction of the A-10 essentially negated all of the Soviet Union's tank efforts at the time.

I'm ok with being slightly off with my recollection since I wasn't able to provide supporting documentation. I'm sure someone will be along to either correct or support that rendition of the A-10's story and merits.

-LD

edited to add the pictures I forgot to include...

1713326925325.png

1713326951574.png

-LD

You don’t know what you don’t know.​

Da fuck did you come up with that pearl of wisdom ?
    One of the dumbest things I've ever come across.....along side of....
    "I see what you're saying"
    No, you hear what I'm saying (dumbass).

Better brrt meme...

brrt.jpg

Better brrt meme...

View attachment 8398421
    Sorry- but I'm not following your post on whether you're calling me out specifically or somebody else. It'd seem to me that your post is actually aligned with everything I've shared/posted here hence my confusion.

-LD

Better brrt meme...

View attachment 8398421
    You can’t hear what someone types, unless you read it out loud, and when speaking with some face to face, it’s quite a bit easier to watch their mouth move, and see what they’re saying.

Francis Gary Powers would like to refute the engineers claim of the U-2 having the ability to fly above the Soviet SAMs.
    It was a lucky shot, at the maximum range. But it did happen. They fired like 20 missiles at him and finally got a hit.

In tonight's edition of a single person's idea that changed everything by understanding the obvious but their initial suggestion being far outside of the 'groupthink' box- I bring you the development of the A-10 Thunderbolt/Warthog.

As I understand it- the USA was coming out of Vietnam and still neck deep into the Cold War with the Soviet Union and the stakes were still high with both sides waiting for what was perceived as an inevitable nuclear exchange between the two nations. One of the problems that were at the forefront of all of the strategists minds was countering the Soviet Union's ability to manufacture Tanks.

Admittedly- I don't have the bandwidth tonight to provide supporting stories to corroborate this as I prefer to do but as relayed to me by several AF officers (so that may be a clue that it's biased). A bunch of military strategists argued for a long time on how to counter the Soviet Union's tank production and increase our production to meet it (that much is rather believable to me). Then there was one person with a counter thought to the groupthink that had the idea and successfully pitched it that we were approaching the problem the wrong way by looking at going "tank for tank" with the Soviet Union and instead to develop a new counter-tank weapon.

The way the story went from there is for the first time in history- the anti-tank gun was developed in response and once that was designed to meet it's stated goal- they then took the gun and asked the aircraft manufacturers to build a plane around the gun rather than build a plane and retrofit a gun to it. And that became the A-10 which is quite an aircraft on its own merit. I understand that it has an incredible survivability ability to damage and is absolutely adored by the grunts but for decades has been offered time and time again as a budget cutting measure because the AF doesn't seem nearly as thrilled as our nation's ground pounders in keeping it in inventory. But that's today- as for the story, the introduction of the A-10 essentially negated all of the Soviet Union's tank efforts at the time.

I'm ok with being slightly off with my recollection since I wasn't able to provide supporting documentation. I'm sure someone will be along to either correct or support that rendition of the A-10's story and merits.

-LD

edited to add the pictures I forgot to include...

View attachment 8398402
    View attachment 8398403
    -LD
    Not a new idea. 37mm in the nose.

1713352904049.png