• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision You want a visit? This is how you get a visit!

What makes one thermal scope ok for civilians and another off limits? Just trying to learn

Reactions: 308pirate
What makes one thermal scope ok for civilians and another off limits? Just trying to learn

Wondering the same thing.

I don't want to read the US Munitions List to try to figure it out. That fucking things gives me migraines.

Reactions: TheHorta

Hi,

Well there are all sorts of "excuses" of it has this spec vs that spec, etc etc but it is more along the lines of the method of its' purchase.

The manufacturer does not pay the excise tax on items sold direct to .gov, same as if they export an item...they do not pay tax on it.

Then you get into the behind the scenes of IF any .gov funds went into progressing the actual development of it, etc etc

L3, BAE and other .gov manufacturers pay millions and millions in fines per year for exporting shit illegally, allowing foreign employee to have access to technical manufacturing data without DDTC approval, etc etc and nobody bats an eye and just keeps sending them money.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
What has the better chance of being true:

- This isn't stolen .gov property

- The seller doesn't have a car loan at 34.9% APR with the added balance of an upside down trade-in

FIFY

It is still up and if you act now, you can have it in time for Xmas - a real stocking stuffer.

Looks totally legit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 9.10.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 9.10.13 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
It is still up and if you act now, you can have it in time for Xmas - a real stocking stuffer.

Looks totally legit.

Stuffer was an appropriate descriptor. Although, if you buy this, it wont be your stocking that gets stuffed.

Reactions: JRaven
Someone is going to have an awkward/uneasy conversation with CID and they are fun to talk too :eek: ;)

I have an old friend that was CID. Cool cat.

I got interviewed by CID when I showed up to my first unit. Unfortunately, my platoon was under investigation for drugs when I got to it. CID agent tells me he has information that I was at some club doing ecstasy. I had to explain I just got to the unit, had never been to that club, and had no clue what they were talking about. It was pretty sweet.

The problem with military units is depending on what department of the DOD they reside they have very, very deep pockets and things go missing often and no one bats an eye.... Actually, they just spend money every quarter on replacing it with a significant lack of accountability. I've worked in places where a lost lensatic compass was the end of the world, whereas I've worked in places that treated half-million-dollar boats like you'd treat a $500 car...

It's pathic, but I'm sure everyone has experienced this in one-way or another.

Reactions: deersniper
You guys are such skeptics, believing the worst in people.

Im going to make an offer from n the device, I think it's legit.

About to post an Ill take it on this M40A3 too.

They will go great together.

• Haha
Or just buy it with a gift card and put the ship to and bill to address for the local crack house near you that the local authorities won't or can't do anything about.

Or just buy it with a gift card and put the ship to and bill to address for the local crack house near you that the local authorities won't or can't do anything about.

Only if you can get a local crackhead’s eBay account too.

If someone is willing to spend that kind of money and then give it away then that shouldn't be to hard to get their account of someone that they stole from.
Hypothetically speaking of course.

Not saying ^^that one ^^ is legit, but it’s actually possible. I’ve worked for two security contractors (low level stuff). All kinds of things happen that are outside the “norm” from an outside perspective. They are making MILLIONS per month. If they like you they won’t think twice about letting you take a couple 15K dollar items at contract completion.
In addition, I’ve worked for a company that produced military equipment for government contracts. If you have a decent relationship with the management, buying items, being GIVEN working prototypes, etc. are not out of the question.

Blanket statements like “all tan ones are stolen” are close to accurate, but false. You think the owner, team lead, designer, etc. don’t have a couple of these each? They aren’t going to change software or color before grabbing some for themselves, etc.

yes, I know the odds aren’t great. But the more realistic asking price of that one lends a little more credence.

That one is legit — but it’s a UTM, not a UTM-X. And now that Trijicon is releasing a batch of X’s (in BLACK no less!) with full warranty and support for less than this eBay dude is asking, it’s a seriously BAD deal.

Not worth more than $8K, IMO. No TracIR support, not as good a clip-on as the X.

Reactions: Evolution 9
Has the older, .MIL issue rail grabber. New CIV units generally come with the LaRue QD rail mount. So that would raise a question in my mind.

That said, it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s some overlap between units when they came off restriction.

ETA: Data panel is visible. It’s a 2013 unit with the .MIL contract number clearly visible. That’s another red flag. However, it could be an overrun before they started relabeling them. Not 100% stolen, but up to 50/50 now.

Also, no way I’d pay Halo-LR prices for a 7-year-old 1x thermal with no warranty or support and questionable provenance. Might bite at $5K, but it’s just not as good as today’s commercial thermals from Trijicon and NVision.

Reactions: wsaelee
Who cares, like all the other restricted gear, my LEO friends sisters brother who's boss works for the DOD who's boss got it legally said their Director released it for sale! All good...

You see, I have this issue with steel bars...

I already bought something once on the 'Hide before I found out about all the stolen crap... and had to surrender to Fort Huachuca. Customs told me I could keep it (working for the DoD at the time) but did verify that it was stolen and it was part of a lot that they'd already arrested the perp for, but it wasn't worth it.

Last edited: