• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Your best first round hit & conditions

Struggles

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2013
Minnesota
Thought it would be fun to hear what ya'lls best/favorite first round hit was and weather conditions.
Mine was a clay pigeon at 740 yards, 6 mph crosswind from 6 o'clock. Not too impressive compared to what some of you can do I'm sure but thought it'd be fun to hear your stories.

At Butner range, N.C. they give wooden coins indicating first round in the x ring, which is fairly coveted by most. there used to be more of them when the x ring was 10 inches. Not so many now that the NRA changed the target to a 1/2 moa x (5 inches) at 1k.

I once shot an empty spray paint can on top of an AR500 steel plate at 972 yards cold bore with a GAP 6.5 Creedmor and a 140 Berger hybrid. Conditions were HOT & HUMID as they usually are in Mississippi in July. 2 to 3 mph wind
Was a little skill and ALOT of luck

415 yard first round kill on a coyote that was trotting into a 3-5 mph wind after being spooked by me in my truck on the way to confirm the holdovers on my new G2DMR that had just showed from the group buy. I was headed out to hang steel at 500 when a live target presented itself. I saw him at 200, stopped the truck and starting getting ready for the shot as he picked up speed. The gun was propped on the roof of my truck and I was standing on the side rail. At around 400 yards I think he started feeling a little more comfortable and began to slow down while looking back in my direction. Dropped him on impact. Not the worlds greatest shot by any means but probably my best first round hit to date.

415-yote_zps8c80a8d3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
488yd first round hit on this mule deer. My favorite first round cold bore shot so far. .25-06 Ackley Imp. with 100gr. TTSX, 3mph wind, 24°F., 7300' AMSL, across a canyon.

My 11 year old daughter had a first round hit on an 8" rock at 865yds. Same gun, different load though. 100gr. SMK, 8-10mph 3o'clock full value wind, 3300' AMSL.

Last edited:
565 yards, 10inch plate, sunny, light winds from left to right. Nothing really to brag about, but it was good for me!

785 yards on the 'into the abyss stage'. Shooting at a IPSC torso with spotter calling wind and elevation....done with a shorty 308 and 178bthp's :)

Weather was a bitch that day, hottest day of the year at 112 degrees and humid NC air.

*Into the abyss stage is a stage where the target is out of site to you but not your spotter who is at an elevated position. A reference target is given and your spotter must direct you on your hold from that reference target. Shooter is basically shooting into nothing, hence the name of the stage,

Last edited:
ASC Fall 2012, hit a Larue(ish) size target @ 1220 with my 284, followed by the "too small for you" popper right next to it. Judged the wind at 15mph 3/4 value (was coming from ~4 o'clock), so ~3.3mrad. Hit the Larue solid but a bit left, held 3.5 for the popper.

I'd rather be lucky than good...

Dozen years back a buddy had a scope go tits up and wounded a bull a few hours before dark. I was tagging along carrying a Weatherby Ultra Lt Weight in .280 Rem simply in case I saw a coyote or a truly huge muley or whitetail.

It was windy and we were losing light when we found the bull in an open field with a few dozen others around him. My rangefinder said 555 yds. We couldn't get any closer, no more cover. And we were afraid if they spooked it would be too dark by the time we hopefully could sneak up on them again.

I gave my buddy the rifle, set up the bipod and had him dry fire it. He was all over the place. Rattled having wounded his elk. He asked me to shoot it as it was my rifle, I was accustomed to it, etc. The bull was laying down and the others knew we were there so they were milling around. I don't recall the amount of holdover I dialed in but do recall thinking I'd try 8 inches to give me 40+ inches for the wind which was really strong.

Luckily I double lunged him with my first shot. It was memorable as I was able to help a good friend in a time of need and able to harvest that elk without any further suffering on his part. Few things sadder than wounding and losing a game animal and they go to the coyotes.

1100 yards, in Georgia. About 55º with an 8 mph full value left to right crosswind. Hit center mass of my steel torso target cold bore. I was particularly happy with it because I ranged it with my reticle and it was the first time I had shot that distance. 338 Lapua makes it a little easier though :)

1087 yards, 66% IPSC, 20 mph right wind. 7mm Rem Mag 162 Amax. Winter afternoon maybe 50*F, don't remember exact pressure probably close to 30 inHg.

The first shot of the Sniper's Hide Cup in 2013. On the clock, had to run up a hill, find the 5 targets and get shots off from 2 positions. The first one I found was only 230 yards away and was maybe 6 inches round, but the wind was blowing 20 and I my head was spun not knowing what the hell was going on. I got the first 2, but then the clock expired.

I once hit a gopher steel target at 800 yds with a 6 MOA windage hold with a 308. I cannot remember what the wind was, but it was a lucky guess.

1500-Meters (1640-yards) with my Rem 5R 308 shooting Prvi 175-gr FMJBT. First time I did it, it took eight more shots to hit the target again, which was a steel plate 1-meter high by 1/2-meter wide. A week later, I did it again, with two more hits following the cold bore. I tried several times with the same target by moving back making it a mile, same rifle and ammo, but no luck.

That ammo wasn't the best, but for some reason it shot very well in the 5R, and believe it transitioned well through the trans-sonic barrier pretty well.

At the cup a few years ago. Laser said 1102 to the steel. We shot this stage in the afternoon so DA was 8500 plus. Temp was 90ish and I tried to account for 3 winds, there may have been more. I can't remember my wind hold but dropped the hammer and waited. After what seemed like to long for a hit miss call I was about to run the bolt for a follow up when the spotter called a hit. I'm not sure of the steel size but best guess it was 14-16". They were hanging the steel by the corner making a diamond target. As I learned that match you want your elevation strong or the target get skinny in a hurry. There was more than a little bit of luck on this shot.

Had a Savage 10 308 as my first LR rifle and had a great, fast load with it, ironically pushing 168's not 175's. Had my brother in law with me, drove out to the range and drove around on BLM land to have about a 980 yard shot off the hill at the steel plate. Wind was 8-10 almost full value and my Bro-in-law had never seen me shoot LR. I dialed dope and he was laughing like there was no way in hell I would hit a target that looked smaller than a postage stamp. Took the shot and saw a hit through the scope, and looked at him grinning and we both heard that satisfying "dooooonnnggg". He could hardly believe it and has been hooked since! (I let him shoot it too, he was so happy to shoot and hit at 1000.)

(W/ a .308) 5 back to back eye box opening and closings on an MGM Precision IPSC Precision Rifle Target [IPSCPRTSD] - $469.71 : MGM Targets, Taking training to the next level...

825 yards, across a draw, overcast, wind was @ 6 mph blowing up the draw and boiling back down at the top (target was near the top).

(W/ a .300 WM) I have also had CB COM hits at 1,475 on the same target.

End of the day, I am less interested about my best day at band camp vs where am I truly solid. For me and with a .308, my CB / any time hits dramatically come alive at 750 and in.

I took a nice doe with a decent snow falling at 480yds. I barely saw her without the scope on her. DRT!
Taken with my LRI 6.5CM with 140 Amax

Last edited:
Thought it would be fun to hear what ya'lls best/favorite first round hit was and weather conditions.
Mine was a clay pigeon at 740 yards, 6 mph crosswind from 6 o'clock. Not too impressive compared to what some of you can do I'm sure but thought it'd be fun to hear your stories.

Doh, i meant to say 6mph wind from 9 o'clock, I dialed .8 mil left with my .308

3986 with the M107 a few years ago in the Stan. One of our ALP out post would regularly take PKM fire from the same rock pile almost weekly. Lacking a PKM of their own the ALP would just sit there a soak up 7.62 from 1200m for 30-40 minutes till we could get a CONOP approved, then Terry would just boggy out as soon as we could role. Due to the ROEs we couldn't fire up any thing bigger than a 60mm with approval from higher which was never given. Needless to say after several weeks of this it was apparent that sooner or later one of our ALP was going to get a hole poked in them and the rest would probably quit. So there we where one fine morning when the PKM fires up again from the rocks. We stood there in the mortar pit of our VSP for about 5-10 minutes watching the bullshit play out again. I turned to my spotter and said "go find the spotting scope and the ATRAg, I'll grab the 107" he smiled and we meet back up on top of the bunker about 2 minutes later. My spotter fired up the STORM and lased the rock pile at 3986m we could not see them but every now and then we would see dust getting kicked up from there muzzle blast. We pick out a big rock (about half a mil tall and wide) in the middle of about where we figured they were and called it as our POA. As I recall the hold over was about 117 mils, and we used the spotting scope to "stack" the mils needed on the mountain behind them. Now wind was another story altogether but I laughed when he said "left...12" I knew there was at least 3 to 4 different wind direction and speeds plus and dirt devil blowing so I just said "fuck it left 12 it is". I touched of the first round and waited what felt like forever. I remember the TOF was some where's around 12 second. Then boom! We both saw the round impact right at the base of our aim point. We fired another 7or 8 rounds before Terry decided he didn't want to play any more and packed up he's PKM. That first shot was by far the best one of the day, most of the others went left or right from the POA. In all a good morn of shooting, doubt we hit anyone but I'm sure a change of man dress was in need.

October of 012 we set up on a prairie dog town in South Dakota with a storm coming, my brother was first on the bench and scored at 700+ yards. My turn was next using the same Stiller, 22 BR Brux 1/8, Night Force with 75 gr Amax at 3250 fps. Range was 825 yds, my brother said hold 10 minutes of wind which I did and the shot was true. Our other partner also made his shot and we had to call it a day as the rain fell and wind blew harder. Dale

Got a couple;
A nice Wyoming coyote, 500 yards right on the mark. Coldbore, 308win, 175 smk. Sunny, clear and it was that time the wind stopped blowing last November.

One shot:

Shot a crow off of an old power pole at 630ish yards, very very cold bore at -2*, but otherwise a sunny beautiful day, with a light 3-4mph wind Lto R. Sorry no pic of that one.

Plugged this guy at 640yds cold bore last fall, waning light of evening, around 50*, calm, 260 rem 140 gr Barnes MB.

I shot this handsome lady at 435 yards, having just ran a couple hundred yards down a hill in order to get the shot. Cold, probably 25*, slight breeze 7SAUM 162 Amax.

Here is another one, shot at 425 on the run, cold bore stopped her, sent a second one to make sure. Close to 9000 ft, 30*, and a storm moving in, 300wsm 190SMK

My best first rd hit was at 0100 hrs on a raccoon with PVS27/338LM. Had a slight right full value wind at about 2 or 3 mph.
My swag was a 1/2 Mil hold off which worked out.

708 yards weak hand (left handed due to slope angle dictating position) on 18" x 30" torso steel with a .308 18" GAP-10 shooting Copper Creek Gas Gun 175 SMK yesterday afternoon with 10 gusting to 20 mph across this valley.

bfc12b94c36111e389bc0002c9d98f6a_8.jpg

Final Shot test of US Army Sniper School.
It's not the hardest cold bore shot I've made, but it did have the most riding on it.

19.5" x 40" Silhouette, estimated at 580 yds, 3/4 value 5-7 mph wind, ~90 Degrees F, 90% Humidity, Full sun

On the final test you don't have your sniper buddy with you to confirm all of your estimations, adjustments, and holds.