• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your choice, DPMS or AR10

Outsydlooknin75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
DulUth Jawja
Guys I am taking sort of an impromptu poll here.

A local AR manufacturer is thinking about building a 308 Ar, which would you rather see, a DPMS compatible weapon or an AR10 compatible weapon?

Re: Your choice, DPMS or AR10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You must be talking DD right? </div></div>

NOPE.

A company that I may be sponsored by here in the future.

Head Down Products LLC, currently they are making complete billet rifles.

I played around with their offerings today at a local multigun match and they were pretty nice, they are on the second generation with their uppers, and are working on a second generation for their lowers.

Currently they are only offering AR15's in 556 chamberings, but they are wanting to get into the 308 world as well.

I just want to be able to say "look if you are going to make a 308 rifle do it in this style due to thats what people are wanting".

DPMS-pattern .308 ARs are more common. The only big names I can think of that make AR10 pattern guns are Noveske and Armalite.

I'd say DPMS, unless, of course, they can make better, cheaper magazines than the Armalite standard...like the .308 Pmag. If they could, that might swing business back toward the AR-10 side. Right now, though, I think there are so many great new DPMS-based rifles that the Armalites are losing market share.

Given the DPMS platform is based off old SR-25's we sold them years ago, they share much in common. The Mag to me is the gold standard, and it is foolish to build any 7.62mm system on a non SR-25 style mag these days.

I would reccommend neither. The SR-25 pattern of Knights, Larue, and LMT seems to be becoming the standard, and this is what I would choose to manufacture.

DPMS is not an SR-25 pattern rifle, it just shares some parts and uses the same magazines.

Big fan of Armalite, I've had nothing but great rifles from them over the years. My AR-10 are fed by the old first gen mags and some converts and they work like a top. I like the fact that I can use a Magpul or a run of the mill M-14 mag in my rifle with very little work to make them work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given the DPMS platform is based off old SR-25's we sold them years ago, they share much in common. The Mag to me is the gold standard, and it is foolish to build any 7.62mm system on a non SR-25 style mag these days.

</div></div>
well, there you go...accesories, mag being what I am talking about, move me to one platform over another and right now there are more different mags for the DPMS platform than the Armalite.

I have to jump on the band wagon as well. From what I can tell, the DPMS is a little more flexible so it offers more to the consumer. IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to jump on the band wagon as well. From what I can tell, the DPMS is a little more flexible so it offers more to the consumer. IMO </div></div>How so? (other than it's machined form billet and not forged
wink.gif
)

Man this poll is looking like the Presidential election 2008, wrong winner lol. Armalite AR-10 for me. I'll put up a picture of one of mine. Never much of a DPMS fan, not sure why.

DPMS, better parts availability and i haven't found a gas gun i like more then mine
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given the DPMS platform is based off old SR-25's we sold them years ago, they share much in common. The Mag to me is the gold standard, and it is foolish to build any 7.62mm system on a non SR-25 style mag these days.

</div></div>

I dont know, Armalite is the original and no one will ever have anything on that. I think its just brand loyalty, like those of us who keep old American made cars and what not.

I personally have had 2 Armalites. Never have owned a DPMS. The mags are pricey, but they work well. It also helps that I have an Armalite dealer in town that stocks everything.

I do have a fiend that bought DPMS SASS's in both 223 and 308. One was single shot and the other one had FTF issues. I am assuming they were sent back and fixed. Haven't heard from him lately. I'm sure one of them was just a gas block alignment issue.

I have rifles in both style. until the Pmag came out, I would have said Armalite due to better magazine.

Pmags are great, limits you on OAL a little more, but they run great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to jump on the band wagon as well. From what I can tell, the DPMS is a little more flexible so it offers more to the consumer. IMO </div></div>How so? (other than it's machined form billet and not forged
wink.gif
) </div></div>

Haha Aside from DPMS having more magazine and parts choices along with being billet...I suppose they're about equal.
smile.gif

OK...I don't get the DPMS magazine thing. The Gen2 Armalite mags are readily available, 5 rnd, 10 rnd, 15 rnd,20 rnd (not 19) and 25 rnd, and they are probably the best made, best functioning mag around, and only $30.00 ea. $27.50 if you buy ten. Armalite has a lifetime guarantee and their customer service is outstanding. Feature for feature they're a better rifle than the DPMS, which is why they're a little more expensive.
If you're talking about which is a better "pattern" to copy when it comes to building another 308 semi auto, then you have to consider parts availability like bolts, carriers, barrels and extensions, hand guards (some work with both AR and DPMS, some don't) LPK's (DPMS uses M15 take down/pivot pins) mags and so on, unless you plan on manufacturing all your own internals. Then it really doesn;t matter which rifle you pattern after, other than mags. Personally, I'd rather have a stack of AR mags (which I do). Mostly it comes down to cosmetics, and I really dislike the trigger guard designs on the DPMS rifles, which you're stuck with, but that's something that can be changed when building your own rifle.
Side by side, I think I'd depend more on an AR than a DPMS when things get rough, but again, when talking about a third party design, that pretty much goes out the window, especially for the purpose of this thread.

Not taking anything away from Armalite, but I vote DPMS.
Bought my LR-308 w/24" stainless bull barrel new last year for $500 less than I would have paid for an Armalite. I added a PRS stock, a beter grip, a match trigger and a Harris bipod, and I've still got less into it than a stock AR-10. I bought half a dozen C-Products stainless steel 20rd mags for about $16 ea. I've not had a single problem with any of them, and they will also allow for a longer OAL cartridge than most.
It shoots better than I would have expected from a gas gun, 3/4 to 1/2 moa on a good day(for me). If it doesn't shoot MOA or less, I know it's my fault.

Curt S. I wish your buddy good luck with DPMS warranty repair department. And any rifle anyone on the board spends top dollar I'd recommend the member also find out about how that company handles customer issues. When I bought a brand new DPMS rifle that had seriously canted FSB (required over 20 clicks of R windage to zero), rather than replace the rifle, they did me a real "home-garage-fixer-upper-repair-job" (i.e, nicked and marred FSB and barrel, shiny epoxy paint over my parked barrel, overspray paint over my handguards, etc..). I sent it back again and just asked the factory defective rifle be replaced -- DPMS refused. The rifle was under warranty, I paid full price, and their remedy fell way short to an equivalent a "new" out of the box rifle - which is what I bought. My rifles don't have to be pretty, but If I wanted a beater rifle, I'd paid a beater price. I will not buy a product from a company who will not stand behind it, not do the right thing, and does not care about customers - only their bottom $ line. This has been awhile back and just found your post, so this is not a get even thread - just the facts to let the buyer beware. I will never do business with DPMS again - too many other choices, better products, better companies who will stand behind what their products. Just my 2.

**UPDATE 29 June I was contacted by Dillon Jennings, DPMS military sales rep (was not involved in the warranty repair). He did offer to work with me to help make things right, and stated internal measures will be undertaken to prevent this from happening. If you are military and have a similar issue, I would try to work it from the DPMS military rep.

As a DPMS owner, if I had it to do over again, I'd go with Armalite.

They could always do like IRA and do both. Eggs, baskets, and all that.

I love Armalites' and I have owned at least four over the years. I would say neither and get the new LMT. Not much more than the DPMS. However, I have a buddy who shoots comp. with DPMS .308 and his rifle has had over 30,000 rounds fired in it. He obviosuly replaced the barrel (on the third actually) but he said not one other part has needed to be replaced yet. That is pretty impressive. I take him at his word also, he is not a BS-er. So, I have fired no where near that rd count in any Armalite so I cannot compare to say how the hold up. I can tell you Armalites function great with Gen II mags and are very accurate. My AR-10 T shot just under 3/4 moa. 5 rd groups. I guess it is like Ford vs. Chevy!

Armalite all the way. My 1st was a rifle a3 which I still have and I am building another in 308. I bought it as a 243 which was custom built match rifle. I never shot the 243 but a friend who has a 243 and a 308 in the ar10t and they both shoot well under 1". The 308 I have with the standard barrel shoots about 1" once I learned to keep presure off the sling while shooting. The reason I am building the new rifle is the floating forend to see how accurate I can get this rifle. The one person I know with a DPMS has a match barrel and more money than I have in either one of my rifles will not shoot as well as any of the Armalites my friends have. He has put it up for sale so he can get an Armalite. I am going to change the 243 barrel for a 308 barrel or possibly a 7mm build.

My Armalite AR-10 was a jam-o-matic, sold it and got a DPMS LR-308, much, much better, and no jams.

Oh and for Armalites CS, it was of no help. I dealt with DPMS CS also, it wasn't that great either so no preference there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Armalite AR-10 was a jam-o-matic, sold it and got a DPMS LR-308, much, much better, and no jams. </div></div>

Was your armalite a GAP rifle also?

And I prefer armalite. But building an Armalite pattern rifle may limit your customer base slightly, and it may not. You don't see people passing up buying a glock because it won't take a sig magazine.