• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your go to rifle chassis?

man32ahan

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Fairfield, Illinois
What is the one rifle chassis you would choose if you could only pick one?

Pros/cons of your specific choice and your style of shooting with it please.

I’m currently building a lefty PRS rifle based off a Remington 700 SA.

So I’m just interested in what everybody prefers. Me personally I think I’m leaning toward the MPA BA competition chassis.

What you guys think? Thanks in advance.

It really depends on your intended use of the rifle (hunting, target shooting, PRS, a combination of two or more, etc.).

Currently I have a KRG X-Ray, XLR Evolution, JAE 700, and a MPA BA Competition (off the top of my head, I think that's all the ones I have).

X-ray and MPA are the best for PRS (I feel) due to their lower weight (easier to handle when transitioning a stage). The MPA folder (quite honestly) sucks. The X-Ray doesn't have a folding option, and the grip can seem a bit too vertical for some. The MPA comp grip is probably the best one out there (especially if you shoot with a thumb shelf grip). The integral Arca Swiss rail in the MPA is a nice option for easy mounting in a tripod (via an RRS leveling base or ball head) as well as bipods with adapters.

The XLR is nice because it is just so adjustable to your body, and you can hang pretty much anything off of it. It can get heavy though. Their folder is rock solid (aside from AI, it has the tightest lock up I've seen). The side folder doesn't lock into the folded position though.

JAE 700 is just a plain work of art and comfortable as well (but heavy; I have an early version, so it may be heavier than the ones now available). It's adjustable mag well is an ingenious design, that allows really smooth mag changes and lock up. Makes a great prone shooting rig. The quick detachable cheek piece is nice design as well (for cleaning).

This is all off the top of my head, and just my personal impressions, so take it for what its worth...

HTH...

Last edited:
There’s so many routes a guy could go.

What it really boils down to is you need to find a shop that carries a lot of chassis and get behind a few of them and see what you like. Brotherhood arms is a shop near me and they basically have a “build a gun work shop”
One wall of chassis’s, barreled actions, bipods and triggers, that made the selection process very easy.

When I started I didn’t know what I wanted either so I got a cheap Magpul hunter. After a year running that I’m either gonna jump into a manners with a ingenuity gun works rail or a krg whiskey 3 with a igw rail. The thumb shelf on the whiskey 3 is what I like most about it and it’s priced competitively.

Reactions: man32ahan
I don't know if this comes as a lefty but the most standout of chassis systems I've been behind is the GRS Bolthorn. It's my go-to now. I find it very well made, ergonomic and it's not very heavy. It has push button quick adjust cheek height, LOP and butt pad height, the length of grip to trigger can be adjusted and a folder adapter is available.

These didn't become very popular in the states which was fine by me because I got it for $600 off MAP. I think it looks cool too and it's different enough that guys come up to me asking what it is and if I'd mind them trying it. They always like it, especially how small the grip feels and how it fits in the hand.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody! Wish there was a shop close to me where I could go try out a bunch but unfortunately there is not.

My buddy has a JAE and it is nice.

Thanks everybody! Wish there was a shop close to me where I could go try out a bunch but unfortunately there is not.

My buddy has a JAE and it is nice.
Try one out. If you don't like it, I will buy it from you!

T, what don’t you like about the MPA folder? I’ve preordered A MPA BA Hybrid to use with the Nucleus barreled action that I ordered from PVA.

I decided to use a KRG Bravo with my Stiller Spectre 223 action.

Reactions: GONE BAD
It doesn't lock up tightly, unless you screw in the adjustment so far, that it will not unlock to fold. I can see the design seems to be well thought out, but something seems off, like a screw engagement or something is just too short or the pocket recess too deep.

It doesn't lock up tightly, unless you screw in the adjustment so far, that it will not unlock to fold. I can see the design seems to be well thought out, but something seems off, like a screw engagement or something is just too short or the pocket recess too deep.

Have you asked MPA about why this might be? I was considering getting a BA Lite with the folding option, but your post has made me question this.

I haven't, since all the other adjustable options on the chassis are the same way. You can move them via roller wheels, etc.; but once set to the adjustment, grubs screws have to be used to lock everything down and take any play out it (butt plate, cheek rest, etc.). I just figured it was just the way it was designed (not necessarily a bad design, since it doesn't have to contend with wear over time).

I only fold the chassis for long distance transport and for cleaning, so it isn't a bad thing; just a hassle some times trying to find that T-25 torx bit for my Fix-it Sticks. I do like that it locks in the folded position.

Reactions: PJC
I love my MDT LSS chassis...fit and finish were perfect...ergonomics are great. I'm also in love with all of MPAs setups...as well as KRG...lol...ugh...theyre all sweet....personal preference really is the only way your'e gonna find what you want lol

Thanks everybody for the advice! Actually ordered the new John Hancock rifle in lefty with the KRG bravo.

So I’ll see how I like the bravo when it comes in. The JH seemed like the best bang for the buck for a semi custom lefty rifle. Thanks again everybody!

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on my first chassis... going with a Cadex Light Competition. I'm looking forward to it for sure.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the Bravo was available for lefties! This is really exciting!

I’m not actually sure it’s available in lefty model.
I think Josh from PVA is doing something special to make them lefty for the JH rifle.

I read it somewhere but I can’t remember where.

I haven't, since all the other adjustable options on the chassis are the same way. You can move them via roller wheels, etc.; but once set to the adjustment, grubs screws have to be used to lock everything down and take any play out it (butt plate, cheek rest, etc.). I just figured it was just the way it was designed (not necessarily a bad design, since it doesn't have to contend with wear over time).

I only fold the chassis for long distance transport and for cleaning, so it isn't a bad thing; just a hassle some times trying to find that T-25 torx bit for my Fix-it Sticks. I do like that it locks in the folded position.

I called MPA and inquired about the lock-up of their folding stocks, citing your experience. Janna said they are aware of a handful of issues with their current folding design and are in the process of a re-design which she says will be complete in the next six weeks.

KRG Xray for the feel/setup/weight, and price. Very curious to get hands on a Bravo.

Next step up I'd get the JAE. However, I likely never will because I like the Mcmillan A5/Manners T2,T4,T6,Eh1 etc. feel.

2022 edit since this got resurrected: American Rifle Co. XYLO is the bee's knees for competition use. You get chassis features/perks with a Manners/Mcmillan feel.

Last edited:
I'm the odd guy - I'm right handed but left eye dominant. So I'm shooting right handed rifles left handed/left eyed and so far it's working fine. Shooting the stock chassis and lusting after the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 after handling a buddies rifle in that chassis but not shooting it.

MDT looks like my poison.

VooDoo

I'm left handed and I'm also 5'6" so length of pull is also a consideration for me as well. My length of pull is 12.5" so it cuts out a couple of really nice chassis. I asked Lisa, from J Allen if they could go that short because that chassis is awesome, she said that ~13.25" is as short as they can go. If they were short enough I'd have one. I've passed two up on prize tables because I knew they will not fit a shorty. That being said I have been shooting an MPA for about 5 months now and it is by far the best chassis that I have personally used for this game. I think with the new weight tuning system that they came out with it will make the decision between a J Allen and an MPA even harder than it already is... The weight and balance of the J Allen is beautiful, but now being able to add weight to an MPA, in the places that you want/need it will be a pretty sweet feature. I am currently in love with the MPA, they were able to custom build it at 12.675" length of pull and I've been very happy with it! I'd recommend the MPA to anyone looking for a sweet PRS setup. (I had mine built I little funky, I didn't want the side mag cut out and I also wanted a flush cup cut half way up the bottom of the forend.)

Did that cost you any extra? Im 5'7" or 5'8ish and may want a custom LOP MPA in the future.

I am a big fan of the MDT LSS simply because it is so light, the Remington 700 footprint LSS weighs about 1.6 pounds. Aesthetically, I love the XLR Carbon but my only compliant with that chassis is that you must use a handguard which puts significant distance between the scope and barrel. One of my pet peeves is too much space between the barrel and objective bell of scope.

Take a good look at the XLR stuff. Solid chassis with good features and they have shorter tubes so you can get that short length of pull. The new Envy chassis will have a full length arca rail machined in the bottom.

I must be the last guy who likes McRees chassis, lol. I buy them used for $400-550 and find them very solid comfortable chassis. I thought the folder on a xlr I shot felt like a afterthought. Mpa ba felt foreign to me, not saying I couldn’t get used to it and like it. I’d really like to try a whiskey3 sometime, but never seen anyone shooting one to try it out. Lots of good platforms, really matters what fits you.

Following up on this thread

I am RH/Left Eye Dominant. I shoot AR rifles easier.

Which chasis system approximates an AR ergonomics best?

Or do all of them?

Thanks

BMT

Sheesh, 4 years necro is "following up?"

If you like AR ergos, look for chassis systems that accept AR buttstocks. MDT chassis accept AR buffer tube attachments, so I'd start there.

Back when I was using chassis the best I tried was the XLR envy pro, good ergonomics and lotta weight options plus it looks good and with the new stock they’re releasing soon even better. I used KRG, MDT ACC, LSS, Cadex and they’re are all quality but if I went the chassis route again I would go XLR.

I now shoot stocks, currently using a manners TCS and just started with a foundation centurion and I absolutely love them if you’re not 100% set on chassis I definitely recommend the stock option, it’s a different animal.

Reactions: Stoweit and PDXGS
I have an MDT ACC and an XLR Envy Pro. Much differences so I'll just call out the things that pop to mind first.

I'm more comfy on the XLR. I get behind it, I feel like home. The cheek weld feels infinity adjustable for your ugly face. That said, their folding adapter is not tight... there's wiggle. Don't notice it while on the line and firing really but you notice it when you move the rifle around and what not and it's kind of... annoying. Just don't use the folding adapter. Or at least their folding adapter. I like that you can do "hidden" buffer tube weights. That allows you to really weight down the rear end... and I tend to prefer the rear to be weighted because I get big heavy barrels. Annoyingly, my plastic mags do not fit in the XLR -- the wont click in... I have to use metal mags. l prefer the plastic mags... can't explain why, I just do.

The MDT ACC is -- how do I say -- more substantial? It's kind of like the feeling you get when you close the door of a car from the 60's. It just THUNKS. You know what I mean? I think it has a lot to do with the buttstock designs between the two, honestly. The MDT's adjustments on the butt are "industrial grade"... like nuke proof. The MDT has a longer forend and thus you can bolt up some weight farther forward, perhaps drop a little muzzle lift if you're sensitive to that. I have never come across a mag that doesn't just click in and you're good with this ACC -- all metal, hybrid, plastic, doesn't matter. Slides in, clicks, feeds rounds... job done. Its a bit... uninspired in the looks department, though. Whatever...

As far as "accuracy" between the two. Meh... gonna be no difference on account of the chassis. They're both metal chunks.

Never used anything else. I do love the LOOK of the Masterpiece examples. I love that Masterpiece will sell you a cut out to sneak in a mag on the left side... that's genius. I like that they're the ones pushing the envelope. Just haven't felt the need to have one... yet.

You can adjust the XLR folding mechanism so that there is no play.
Call them, the process isn’t intuitive but is pretty simple.

Thanks for the info. What u like better the manners of foundation?
I haven’t had the foundation for long so am still sort of getting used to it, but if I had to answer that rn I would say manners, the adjustability of the TCS is superior to the foundation but the foundation does absorb the recoil better.