• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your light mountain rifle

iceshooter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2011
Looking for some ideas for a mountain rifle build...... Reliable bolt action, crispy hunting trigger, compact barrel, light stock (folder?), nice little optics......you get the idea. Caliber selection would be small in my case.....221-270.

I bet someone has built this before. Would be great to hear your ideas. + see pictures of your gem.

Re: Your light mountain rifle

For a factory light mountain rifle, I really like the Tikka T3 rifles. They have proven to be very accurate, even in their light weight hunter formats.

It would be pretty sweet if KRG would build a lightweight folding stock for this rifle.

Tikka T3 is awesome and close to perfect. Wish there would be more options for aftermarked parts though...

Lets see those pictures

Not my thing these days but always liked the look of of the Sauer 202 Highland and Forest models as compact and portable stalking/game rifles....that detachable butt really helps if hiking/trekking to shoot

Ive got a coule of heavy barreled long range rifles BUT never take them with me on those long hikes. Just too large, too heavy.

I cant believe Im the only one thats looking for a tool like this.....

Dont think you can get much lighter or cheaper than the new Ruger American. Check out the reviews on youtube and gunblast.

I think Ruger is onto it here. Ive been looking at that one too.....wondering if there are any stock options here?

I was thinking it might be fun to rebarrel and add a traditional recoil lug. Im sure i could get and uninlet by mcmillan and make it function with AI mags.

+1 for the T3
Don't worry about the aftermarket lack of support. It doesn't NEED anything added to it.

[img:left]http://
miscpictures054Custom.jpg
[/img]

Hard to beat a Tikka T3 for this application. Especially one that has this option. My bad.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul.

Back when APA was PAI, they built my 7-08
Patriot7-08014.jpg

Rem Model Seven
Broughton 5C #3 contour, 23"
AWR Stock
Black Cerakote on metal, OD on stock
VX3 2.5-8x36

Weighs a bit over 7 lbs. and shoots 120TSXs @ 3100 fps very well.

Good luck with your build!

Pick up an old mauser from your local gun show. Found a 1909 mauser made in Germany with a light hunting barrel and iron sights. Originally built for the Argentinian military the rifle was tastefully rebuilt by Santa Fe Arms Company into a .30-06 hunting rifle. Its worth maybe $300 - $400 depending on condition. Nice firepower in a small, easy to carry package. I keep on thinking about scoping it, but its been great out to 500 yards so why bother? Guess I need to post a picture, eh?

1909-Mauser-01-600x200.jpg

1909-Mauser-06-600x224.jpg

1909-Mauser-04-600x191.jpg

Depends on your budget. If you want about a $1500 gun, I'd check out Red Hawk Rifles. They make a good gun that's pretty much a semi-custom. If you're looking for a custom rig (and come on, that's what you really want, right?), then I'd give Robert Gradous a call. That thing will be a lightweight laser.

Again, depending on your budget. Take a look at the GA Precision Non-Typical.

I don't own one yet, but these are very nice, and very light:
Rifles Inc.

Carried and shot my friend's lightweight Strata in 300WM two years ago and was blown away by what a difference two pounds makes at the end of a long hunt. I've been lusting after one of these in 270...

Im currently building a 7SAUM with a #3 3groove 22" Lijia with a Lazoronie Carbon fiber stock. Should be light and I should have it done this weekend all but the stock, still waiting that! So no pics just a box of parts but this is going to be my Very first Light gun. Getting older and mountains are getting taller...LOL

I have a 223 AI on a rem 700 SS action with a 21" pac-nor 8 twist 3 groove in a remington mountain contour. I bedded it into an old Ti stock and it weighed right at 6 pounds without the scope. I run 75g Amaxes at 3100 fps.

I also have a similar rifle in 7-08 with a rem take off mtn contour in a Ti stock. I shoot 162 amaxes at 2700 in it and it works well.

Another lightweight I run is a first gen rem 700 Ti in 30-06. I run 155 lapua scenars at just over 3000 fps from it and it shoots about 1 moa. It's just as it was from the factory except for some trigger work.

My favorite lightweight is a rem action with a carbon wrapped 22" shilen blank in 260 rem in a ti stock that was opened way up. It weighed 5 pounds 12 ounces without the scope. It shoots 1/2 moa consistently with 130 accubonds of h4350 at 2900. It really hits deer hard.

Bb

Bb

Rem 700 SPS 30-06. Cut bbl to 20", Leupold 2.5-8x36 with M1 turrets in Talley LW mounts, McMillan BDL stock.

CopyofPA250058.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem 700 SPS 30-06. Cut bbl to 20", Leupold 2.5-8x36 with M1 turrets in Talley LW mounts, McMillan BDL stock.

CopyofPA250058.jpg
</div></div>
Dang that's nice! How do you like the 20 inch barrel shooting the .30-06? Do you notice any lack of punch shooting the 208's out of a 20 inch .30-06 barrel?

Depends on what you consider a lightweight rifle. For a production out of the box, lots of folks like the Kimber Montana rifles, I think they weigh like 5 1/2 lbs or something like that.

I've got a few I like, this one is a Remington special run they did for Gander Mtn, its their Mtn Guide rifle in .243Win, basically a stainless 700 in a Ti take off stock. With Talley Lwts and a Leupold 6x36 and the Long range dotz, bolt fluted by Kampfeld Customs, this one weighs 6 lbs 10 ozs.

IMG_0598.jpg

Another one I really like is this Kampfeld Custom built .243Win, McMillan Classic Edge stock, Lilja #3 contour fluted & finished @ 23", Borden action, Borden rings, Mark 2 3x9x40 scope with dotz. All up weighs 7 lbs 4 ozs, balance is perfect and it shoots:)
3Kampfeld243-1.jpg

Another favorite is this Jon Beanland built 7mm08, also on a 700 action, bolt fluted by Karl @ Kampfeld, fluted Brux #3 contour @ 22 1/2", Edge Classic stock, Mark 2 3x9x40 scope, all up it weighs 7 lbs 4 ozs. Balance on this one is about perfect - just a bit weight forward which I like. Jon will be building another one like this as soon as I have my stock.
Beanland7mm08-2.jpg

Lots of good stuff out there!!

These are nice tools. I bet they are ok to carry for a couple of days and still shoot well.

I recently got a new "light-weight" hunting rig. At 7.8 lbs it isn't the lightest in the world, but better than the 11.2 lbs my custom rig weighs. I posted this on the photography board, but I will re-post it here, since we are talking hunting rigs.

CZ 550 FS
6.5x55
20.5" barrel
Still debating the scope, but it will be something light.

(I will say, this is one of the best feeling rifles I have ever shouldered. Wasn't sure I would like the "hogback" comb, but I love it.)

DSCF1044.jpg

Just finished this one for some Mountain Muleys. VZ 12/33 in 7x57, Numrich 19.5" reconditioned bbl, Boyd stock, Lyman in rear, Williams up front, Bold trigger. Throws 140gn Sierra SBT's like a charm. In this config it weighs 7 lbs. I also have a scout scope with QD mounts, but this will be a thicket rifle so I'm going old school.

dsc04863800x413.jpg

If I was to purchase an off the shelf, it would be a Model 7 or Tikka T3 in 308.

My T3 in 6.5x55 is about ideal. It weighs 7 lbs. 14 oz. with a Bushnell fixed 10x scope and DNZ mount. I plan on replacing the scope with a Weaver 3-10x mil/mil one of these days, which actually weighs about 1 oz. less. We really don't have any mountains in Texas, but it's easy to carry all day and accurate. There is a 1" orange dot stuck on the inside of the scope cap with 3 shots in it as a confidence booster when I'm hunting.

I have 3 Kimber 84M Montana's (.223, .243, and .260) and all three have been tack drivers with loads they liked. My goto rifle is my Montana in .223 when I head out the door, either calling coyote's or just driving logging roads.

If I were going to buy another I would pick up one of the new Kimber 84L Montana's in 25-06.

Love my T3. Also hear really good things about Christensen. Super light weight and accurate. Priced accordingly.

Mine is a rem 700 SA with a kampfeld fluted bolt and knob, a fluted 4.1 Broughton 8tw 260 rem. It is in a MCM BDL stock it has a RB trigger, Talley LW rings and a 4.5 -14-40 leupy Just under 7.5 lbs ready to hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santee116</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently got a new "light-weight" hunting rig. At 7.8 lbs it isn't the lightest in the world, but better than the 11.2 lbs my custom rig weighs. I posted this on the photography board, but I will re-post it here, since we are talking hunting rigs.

CZ 550 FS
6.5x55
20.5" barrel
Still debating the scope, but it will be something light.

(I will say, this is one of the best feeling rifles I have ever shouldered. Wasn't sure I would like the "hogback" comb, but I love it.)

DSCF1044.jpg

</div></div>

That's a great looking rifle. I love the classic styer style check pieces.

check out Kerry O'Days rifles right here in Texas. I have one and love it...comes in around 5lbs. Feels like your nothing in your pack. I had him make me a 300wm with a brake (of course). Shoots Barnes 180grains like lasers.

http://mgarmsinc.com/ultra_light-new.html

+2 on Redhawk Rifles as well, I have one of his and it is great. Standard remington action with fluted bolt, cyro barrel, jewell trigger,B and C stock, for around 1300.00. Dick Churchly is a good guy!!

I have the Kimber Montana in 300 WSM.

Its light, I'm under 6.5lbs with the Leupold 3.5-12 Vx3 50mm.
The trigger is very vary nice out of the box. When your over 9000 feet its your best friend.
smile.gif

Dislikes:
The barrel,,, just the barrel, gets rust/water-spots easy on the outside, I believe Kimber is not keeping their bead blasting systems segregated and the spots are iron from a regular barrel contaminating the beads. The stock on mine fits awesome, but whatever they coated the stock with is not very tough, it scratches a bit easier than I like.

Its already killed a Elk and deer at +400 yards so I'm happy.

Fact:
The diff in recoil between a 168 and a 180 or 200 gr is crazy...

Dave

Here is mine.

IMG_3583.jpg

It weighs zero pounds. ( as far as I know. The guide carries it..) LOL..LOL..

Rem Model 7 (factory bbl action)
B&C Stock, bedded, Tan with Black Web
Leupold VXR 3-9x40
Warne/Leupold Base/Rings
75gr V Max HSM
Vero Vellini Sling

Great all around light combo

2012-04-10_23-33-27_930.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oregonmuley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Another favorite is this Jon Beanland built 7mm08, also on a 700 action, bolt fluted by Karl @ Kampfeld, fluted Brux #3 contour @ 22 1/2", Edge Classic stock, Mark 2 3x9x40 scope, all up it weighs 7 lbs 4 ozs. Balance on this one is about perfect - just a bit weight forward which I like. Jon will be building another one like this as soon as I have my stock.
Beanland7mm08-2.jpg

Lots of good stuff out there!! </div></div>

Love that Rig !!!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem 700 SPS 30-06. Cut bbl to 20", Leupold 2.5-8x36 with M1 turrets in Talley LW mounts, McMillan BDL stock.

CopyofPA250058.jpg
</div></div>
Dang that's nice! How do you like the 20 inch barrel shooting the .30-06? Do you notice any lack of punch shooting the 208's out of a 20 inch .30-06 barrel? </div></div>

No problems getting the moly'd 208s to 2650 fps via RL22, or RL17.

Plenty of punch, on both ends.....grin.

I've got a Jon Beanland built Rem 700 in 7-08 as well.

- Trued 700 action
- 22" Rock 1:9 #2 contuour stainless barrel
- Bolt work by Kampfeld
- McMillan Sako Hunter Stock
- Worked over "old school" rem trigger at 2 lbs 5 oz.
- Metal Cerakoted in Graphite Black
- As pictured it weighs in at 7 lbs - 12 oz.

It spins 120 TTSX's over RL15 into bullet holes at 100 yards.

DSC02239.jpg

DSC02250.jpg

I took a stainless Tikka T3 Lite in .308 and had the barrel trimmed back to 20"s. It is topped with a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NPR2, in Talley lightweight rings. I run a VTAC 2 point sling, same as on my work guns.

The gun is boringly consistent in the little groups it will shoot. The only negative thing is that it is light enough that any inconsistency on my part will open my group up. I really have to pay attention. It is not like shooting a heavy bolt gun

This last December I dropped a big fat cow elk with the little Tikka .308.

From coyotes to elk, it is a great lightweight "all around"/"practical rifle" performer.

001-10.jpg

070-1.jpg

PracticalTikka003.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this one coming to Glasgow ? </div></div>

I wasn't really planning on bringing this one, but it wouldn't be any trouble to take it along with a few rounds.

I'm bringing the heavy '06 (16 lbs), and the 20" 308 (13 lb).

I've got a .280 AI that is similar to what your goal is. Its got a B&C Alaska TI stock, which I've bedded. The barrel is a custom contour Shilen which is somewhere between the Mt. and normal contour. I'll try to post a pic when I get it back, its off getting graphite black cerakote at the moment.

You could get a very similar rifle in factory configuration from Remington now---their new Mountain Rifle SS (?) in the B&C stock.

i have this one for mountain hiking
anschütz 1780 in 308
it has a alu system and a alu bedding block and its a little over 3kg
phpThumb_cache_waffen-schmeink.de_src9b28c8a837a8d63466c0b5973b105fbb_par0faf73bc550c2c34de623074ff0d6f22_dat1302194113.jpeg

Ti action. #3 Broughton at 22"
7-08
McM Mt Rifle stock, edge fill.
Built by APA.
Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x42 in Talley LW.

IMG_0107-1.jpg