• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Local Gun Store -

the "gun store guy" behind the counter

Ours is the the best. Conspiracy theories, government rants, etc.

Interestingly enough, been listening to him for years.

Right after Covid... 60%+ of it came true already with the current admin in power.

Like the guy in the streets ranting about red & blue aliens...and 2 years later NASA discovers red & blue aliens living among us.

• Haha
Reactions: rhsc and 308pirate
I avoid gun shops religiously. They are all overpriced, and you have to ask the govt for permission to have your rights via a form. And pay a fee for it.

Whereas via a private sale I got a gorgeous 1960s clip slot Remington 700 in 30-06 for 500 bucks the other day.

Why the hell would I go to a gun store?

In 1722 if Bob wanted Joe's musket he paid him for it and took the musket home.

In 1822 if Bob wanted Joe's rifle he paid him for it and took the rifle home.

In 1922 if Bob wanted Joe's rifle he paid him for it and took the rifle home.

In 2022 if Bob wanted Joe's rifle they both went to a government licensed institution where Bob filled out a form to ask the government if he was allowed to buy Joe's rifle and if the government said yes he paid him for it and took the rifle home.

What was the Supreme Court ruling recently that said something about laws must be consistent with our history and tradition when it comes to firearms?

I will patronize gun stores when they are no longer record keepers for the federal government. They are no better than tax collectors in the colonies.

• Angry
Reactions: Steel+Killer
I’ve got two within ten miles of me.

Neither of which are that great.

One will do transfers for $25, but an NFA item was $75. I wasn’t impressed with that.
They have about ten long guns, a few handguns, and three pounds of powder that’s probably as many years old, if not older.
They are friendly when you go in and can order some things, mainly guns.

The other is relatively new. They have a handgun range and sell some ARs and handguns and a bunch of tacticool shit.
No reloading supplies and some ammo.
The one time I went in there were three guys in there, two of which were employees. Not even one said as much as hello. I don’t have time for that.

An LGS doesn’t have to have everything for me to shop there.

Some reloading stuff would be nice, and some decent cleaning tools.

A small shop just isn’t going to sell a lot of the mid to higher end items that a lot of us here are interested in.

It won’t pay for them to stock a set of SAC Precision Dies in 6GT, or Tangent Thetas unless they have a decent online presence.

The "LGS" used to be the place to go. They helped you, they had good prices, they had just about all the best brands you could buy. They always touted themselves as "better than a big box store". Since the "big box store" closed they decided to expand buying the building of the big box store.

Guess who is now "just another big box store". People at the counters don't really help, they are always stocking "the best new gimmick" product, etc etc etc.

There are very few new guns.....

Most are from Amoskeag Auction or an insurance man shows up and says "Damn Joe, another grandpa didn't make it down to breakfast. what will you give me for this collection?"

Type "visited the honey hole" or just "honey hole" or "Damn, bought an M1A" in this sites search box........or maybe don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
Jerry’s? If so, yeah, that is pretty much off the beaten path. He used to keep a ton of higher end optics in stock. I haven’t been down there in years.
You’re right. I figured someone would know where I was talking about.

They have Nightforce, Swarovski, Meopta and a decent bit of thermals always in stock. Over the last couple of years, they’ve started carrying more and more suppressors as well.

Reactions: Jsp556
Most I go to are just to waste time or if I'm bored or want to play with something before I purchase it online for cheaper.

Most don't have anything close to what I'm looking for, especially reloading items. They have the weirdest things in stock...270WSM brass. 40gr 224 cal bullets, shell plates for 303 brit but not for a 308 case head.

Prices are always way higher than the internet. No deals whatsoever. I'm not gonna pay 250 more for a optic than I would pay online.

Doc

This is pretty much the story here, at least until Midwest Shooting Center opens in the Dayton area sometime next year.

Worked at the last one for 3 years. Owner ran it in the ground with high prices and refused to listen to Me or customers about it.

Where in Ok is this one, Mike. We have a store called Ares here in Lawton. Nice selection of suppressor but I havent had call to buy from them yet.
I'm in the complete opposite corner of the state from you. You're welcome to come on up but after your time and gas you probably won't save much money.

Mike

Reactions: Maggot
Gene Sears store is local to me. Usually a good selection. buy it online and pick it up in the store.
My dad used to buy wholesale from Gene Sears in the 70’s when he had his shop

I support the LGS's here - there are two with ranges and I take my CCL certification classes and training from them to support them and keep them functioning. I also use their ranges and support them that way. But for guns and supplies, I buy everything online. If it's a firearm I'll pay them their transfer fees and such. But the big ticket items I buy (gun accessories, glass, reloading supplies, etc.) I source online and have it sent directly to my home.

The place across the river (Iowa) has a nice selection of firearms and I'd buy from them as they generally have stuff I'd be interested in *but* their prices are outrageous. Their Range is awesome and I sell stuff on consignment and they get me a good price and make good money on it as well.

The politics and legal advice I get from their counter guys? I have literally had to walk away shaking my head....like the discussion of a stock vs a brace. Bone Head couldn't get it thru his head that a pistol with a 16" barrel can have a stock but a 9" barreled pistol cannot have a stock. Only a brace . He thinks that's only because I live in Illinois and could not be convinced that putting a stock on a <16" barreled pistol makes it a "SBR" and you must have a tax stamp. No matter what State, an SBR needs a tax stamp and comes with rules - a 16" + "pistol" be it an AR platform and whatever is a carbine and can sport a stock.

Some of those guys are clueless.

VooDoo

What makes it special, different, or stand out? Is there a product or something that keeps you coming back?
Three generations, all of whom love what they do!

The 'Grandson' who is in his '20s... is one of those millenials who give me hope for the future. Patriot, shooter, understands business. Never takes a day off. Eats, drinks, sleeps The Family Business. If I send him an e-mail at 2AM on a Sunday morning... I have a response at 5 am... Sunday morning. Even when I say "Ethan... save this until Monday, enjoy your day off!".

He started their CIII business. He handles their transfers. He gets Gunbroker and apps.

I go there because I want Ethan to succeed like his dad and grand-dad did! And then some!

Cheers,

Sirhr

My LGS is outstanding with knowledge, customer service, and pretty good inventory. I can't say enough good about them.

However I usually avoid it during hunting season though because there's almost always a bullshitter sitting on a stool telling anybody he can about his great marksmanship feats.

the "gun store guy" behind the counter

Ours is the the best. Conspiracy theories, government rants, etc.

Interestingly enough, been listening to him for years.

Right after Covid... 60%+ of it came true already with the current admin in power.

Like the guy in the streets ranting about red & blue aliens...and 2 years later NASA discovers red & blue aliens living among us.
Yep. We're living in strange times, aren't we?

----------------

hlee mentioned Primary Arms, and I'll second that. If you're anywhere in the Houston area or within a couple hours drive, they're the place to go. They've got friendly, competent staff and all sorts of deals on offer.

If you just want to kill some time browsing, Collector's Firearms in Houston has a good mix of old, new and historic stuff, but their prices tend to be pretty high.

I have 5-7 LGS's within 1.5 miles of my residence. Each one has a "specialty" of sorts.

My preferred for me is the low/mid-tier modern firearms. They are along my path to the drive-up liquor store where I get my Twisted Tea by the Unknown Quantity. They have standard configuration glocks, AR's, CZ'z, Canik's, and some Sigs.

2 doors down is a mid/upper tier modern firearms. Sako TRG's, DD, LMT, all the tannerite, and others. Up the street is an indoor range with full-auto fun things as well as a good varying selection of firearms for purchase. Across the street is Fudd Central with Muh Colt Pythons n Smiff n Wesson n Rooger Wheel Guns and an appropriate spattering of grand-pappy's shotguns. A few blocks away is Sig FanBoi Central. They got mostly mid/upper tier Euro pistols there with all the Chy-Nuh red dots 🤡.

A couple pawn shops in town sell typical pawn shop stuff. But, I roll through the pawn shops because you might find a gem 💎 in there.

Overall, they are knowledgeable in their niche with the occasional proliferate Fudd who still thinks all firearms need to be spotless clean all the time... usually a peacetime veteran from the 70's-90's era where weapon maintenance was used as a way to soak up 2-3 hours of time in the day (still that way with USMC units I was with 🤣).

The LGS's know I know more than they do and don't bother me anymore. They refer people to me to do individual/small group tactical medical training for them. It works out.

Last edited:
Reactions: MK20
Have two in my local area without driving an hour away, one is extremely overpriced and full of the cheapest quality equipment/accessories I've ever seen. They also talk to you like you're stupid.

The other has been great. Local pawn/gun with reasonable prices, knowledgeable staff, buy/sell new and used guns. All my business goes to them now.

Well at another LGS today....the big conversation behind the counted that I had to wait till it was finished.....Dudes yacking about Call Of Duty, PS4, their controllers, etc etc etc

Well at another LGS today....the big conversation behind the counted that I had to wait till it was finished.....Dudes yacking about Call Of Duty, PS4, their controllers, etc etc etc
fuck that. I'd walk up, put my stuff I *was going to buy on the counter and say, "Good luck with your video games", then walk out.

I have one Palmetto State Armory with a 10 min drive and another with a 25 min drive both are in former big box grocery store locations. They both stock high end optics, NV, and thermals. I feel blessed to live here in the Palmetto state except Yankees are moving here by the truckloads.

• Love
Reactions: clcustom1911
My LGS doesn’t stock much of what I’m looking for but I’ll usually give them a call and ask if they can come close to an online price.

They’ll either tell me to order online because it’s a better price than they can get or they’ll match it. They know they’re at least getting the transfer fee.

When they run ammo specials or specials on some guns with rebates they have some good deals.

overall though, they are more expensive than online, but if they don’t stay open then those online prices don’t do me any good

So I give them as much business as possible

I will never shop the big box stores for guns.

fuck that. I'd walk up, put my stuff I *was going to buy on the counter and say, "Good luck with your video games", then walk out.

I had my eye on a nice 1911.....I said...F-this place. I'll find someone online selling one, and buy thru an FFL transfer.

I don't physically shop for guns today, with FFL holders abound and gunbroker readily available. But I still find myself buying guns in LGS's if I spot something I like while shopping for other crap. No longer is 20 to a100 bucks more an issue. Through the 80's, 90's, 2K's, saving 20 bucks seemed like it would keep me afloat.
I needed a 22LR pistol in August, LGS had an FN 502, it was a best fit for 459, I didn't hesitate one bit.
I can't handle the gun counter bullshit, either side of it, for every dipshit behind the counter, there is four in front of it spewing his knowledge of shit.

But I still like having LGS around, you just never know when you may need a 10/22 that day, I seem to give those things away like candy bars.