• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your logic ?

Gunfighter14e2

Hunter/trapper of Remora's
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2002
Lick skillet Alabama
eham.net
If your only mode of transportation for the next few months is shoe leather express would you prefer a 1/2-3/4 moa 13+lb heavy stick or a 1-1 1/2 moa <8lb lite stick? Weights are based on ready to engage or hunt.

Looking for the why part of the logic, nothing more. Also assuming both sticks are of the same chamber'ing, which you can list if you want.

How much moving is required?

Edit to add. What location, what season as well

@Gunfighter14e2

The lighter rifle is preferred every time. More so if living outdoors full time. Fatigue is cumulative. It degrades all physical and mental processes. Lightening the load delays onset and depth of fatigue, so lighter and less gear is generally better as a rule. The theoretical 1.5 MOA is good to 500 yards for an 8 inch vital zone. That’s plenty in our terrain.

And to think the rifle Uncle Sam issued us was built to a 4 MOA standard when brand new. Somehow we still managed to do fair work with it out to the ballistic limit of the cartridge.

And to think the rifle Uncle Sam issued us was built to a 4 MOA standard when brand new. Somehow we still managed to do fair work with it out to the ballistic limit of the cartridge.
I learned long ago lite is right, but it seems these days everyone (may be gamer's only) seem to prefer heavy. I'm trying to find the logic difference. Could be I don't understand the different levels of dead, or they the concept of working closer?

The E2 I preferred to carry, would do moa at 100yds with just irons most any day, with most lots of TW ball. LC was about 1.5-2 depending lot #. Special ball was a crap shoot even in the same lot numbers.

Fatigue is cumulative. It degrades all physical and mental processes.
But it can be managed if the user understands how to. Work/rest cycles so have some benefits, along with knowing how to manage the weight you are carrying. Most people don’t have a clue what the basic weights of items they are going to carry are in the first place.

Load distribution into sustainment, approach, and or fighting/hunting loads are another key to managing weight and fatigue. You might not always have the chance to lighten your load before you go to “work”, but that should be a high priority once the opportunity presents itself. Probably a lost art, but we used to practice using the quick releases on our gear to drop it as we were reacting to any kind of opposition that would more than likely require movement or maneuver. Come back for it later, leave someone to watch over it if possible.

My ranch AR (FN DMR II) is a 1-1/4 MOA rifle with the discontinued 64gr Speer Gold Dot ammo that I "accidentally" won 3,500 of about 4 years ago. The rifle wears a XTR II in 1-8. Not a great optic, but it has never lost zero in the years of abuse I've put it through...so it'll stay on the gun.

I see no real-world disadvantage to this setup. I've busted running pigs at 25 yards, running skunks at 125 yards, and I've busted coyotes at 250 yards. It just so happens that the first vertical hash mark on my (stupid) reticle is 1 mil and is dead-on for 250 yards.

that bullet flat shoots through big hogs that are under 100 yards. The rifle is light enough and compact enough that it doesn't become an issue to tote. It carries a good amount of firepower on board.

I foresee 99% of the issues occurring 50 yards and in, not 500 yards and out. Therefore weight and maneuverability become more important than max range.

I've been wrong before though.

Im grabbing the shorty Grendel. Its light and accurate well past 500 and will take down big game easily. I know its unlikely to find more ammo for it but if it has come to me scavenging for ammo chances are there is a rifle to go with it.

Feed/eject. You have to run it real straight and kinda baby it. Its a great little gun for kids and beginners because of size and recoil but they really have hell with feed/eject, mostly feed.

OK, thanks.
That is an easy fix with either tooth paste, or polishing compound on a 12 gauge swab & drill motor in the receiver, or correcting the same on the bolt body. High spots on/in the bolt or receiver can be found easily with This

Most of us have multiple rifles and pistols, in different sizes and weights, for different uses

Dumbass
I guess I am misunderstanding. How is this helping? I mean, it's not funny, which can be redeeming for me. In fact, it sounds like vitriol that is meant to create dissension.

The question is if you could only walk and had to carry something that could also hunt.

Being salty and contentious doesn't solve anything and also does not answer the question.

Reactions: joer308
I guess I am misunderstanding. How is this helping? I mean, it's not funny, which can be redeeming for me. In fact, it sounds like vitriol that is meant to create dissension.

The question is if you could only walk and had to carry something that could also hunt.

Being salty and contentious doesn't solve anything and also does not answer the question.
There are lots of different types of shooters on this board.

Some of them are pure gamer gun guys, and anything other than min-maxing a gun to their specific game is trash.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have the apocalypse preppers for whom anything other than bomb proof mil spec duty grade guns are trash.

These 2 groups never see eye to eye. One uses a Polaris razor to move 75 lbs of shooting accessories from station to station, covering 15-50 yards per movement. The other fantasizes about a valiant insurgency of foot born resistance fighters- carrying their worldly possessions from redoubt to redoubt on their backs.

Then, there is the “horses for courses” crowd. A Kolar 12 ga for clays games, a nice 28 ga side by side for quail, a beretta a300 ultimate patrol for HD, heavy chassis bull barreled bolt gun for PRS, light weight bolt gun for elk hunting, ar-15 for pigs, truck gun, edc gun, loaner gun, bbq gun, etc…

308 is just using his unique way to say that you can have more than 1 gun…

There are lots of different types of shooters on this board.

Some of them are pure gamer gun guys, and anything other than min-maxing a gun to their specific game is trash.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have the apocalypse preppers for whom anything other than bomb proof mil spec duty grade guns are trash.

These 2 groups never see eye to eye. One uses a Polaris razor to move 75 lbs of shooting accessories from station to station, covering 15-50 yards per movement. The other fantasizes about a valiant insurgency of foot born resistance fighters- carrying their worldly possessions from redoubt to redoubt on their backs.

Then, there is the “horses for courses” crowd. A Kolar 12 ga for clays games, a nice 28 ga side by side for quail, a beretta a300 ultimate patrol for HD, heavy chassis bull barreled bolt gun for PRS, light weight bolt gun for elk hunting, ar-15 for pigs, truck gun, edc gun, loaner gun, bbq gun, etc…

308 is just using his unique way to say that you can have more than 1 gun…
Yeah, I get that. I also realize in retrospect, that is just how he is. Somewhere along the way, he learned that this is the way to behave. And it's not personal. He will be salty with anyone, I imagine.

Also, in retrospect, I am the foolish one. I pointed out he is abrasive or salty and I am sure there was a rousing chorus of "no shit, Sherlock."

Now, that begs a question. In real life, even if on foot, are we going to have only one gun? I know I wouldn't. I would have some kind of rifle. And my 9 mm on my hip, as well. Does this maybe lead to the rifle choice of an AR-15? It is good for self-defense. And a few people have hunted deer with it. Or would a 6 ARC be better?

I don't think the intentions of the original question was that you could not have more than one gun. The question was, if were going to have to spend time walking, what would carry? Ounces make pounds and pounds make pain.