• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Opinion of Leupold VX-1 Rimfire Scopes?

DedicatedShooter

Air Winger
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
NoVA
Just picked up a CZ and I am looking at optics. My price range is no more than $225. I plan on shooting no further than 200 yards, mainly for fun with my suppressor and for the occasional critter or two. I am leaning towards the Leupold VX-1 2-7x. I am not a huge fan of it having those damn friction turrets but other than that it meets all the requirements that I am looking for.

What are your experiences with the scope? ...and please give me more detail than "the glass is really clear and I zeroed my rifle quickly with it and shot a tight group"...that doesn't really tell me much about the scope haha. Please feel free to get nit-picky. Thanks for the help!

Also, What othe scopes have you used or do you recommend me look at?

If that is the scope you plan to buy then you will definately be shooting a damn sight shorter distances than 200yds. Now let me assure you, I am a Leupold man. Owned around 8 in different flavors from hunting to tactical. You will be poorly equiped for anything but bunny hunting out to about 75yds, with the rimfire Leupold. You should be able to find a Bushnell Elite 10X for around the price you are suggesting. It is tough, repeatable, excellent clarity in all conditions, and it is completely capable from 25-200yds. In my opinion you will find nno better scope at that price point. You may find some with more bells and whistles at that price point, but you will be giving up something. Ain't no free lunch.

I like the Bushnell, I'ved used one before on a buddy's .50cal and it gets the job done, esp for the price. My only concern is the parallax setting, I'm assuming it's set at 100 yards and I know it's non adjustable. Won't that effect closer range shooting?

What about the Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10x? it's MOA/mil which is ok w me as I can do the conversion pretty quickly and it has an adjustable objective.

I have the 2x7 or the fixed 4x on all my rimfires and for my shooting needs they are great little optics.
I mostly just take head shots and tree rats and don't use them for any practice.

Sorry I been busy fishing and building a motor this week.

The Kaspa looks good, but then I have bought more than a couple "good looking" bargain scopes that took a shit pretty quick, or simply did not deliver what I needed, nor what was implied by their appearance. Never had one so.....don't start me to lying. Again, it certainly looks good. $195 on Optics Planet.

I have owned the Bushnell, and it is a great scope if that is your priceline. Parralax set to 100yds has never seemed to be a problem for me on rimfires. It will not be great for 50yd benchrest I guess. Maybe someone knowledgable in the science of optics can set us clear on just how much variance is possible without parallax adjustment under 100yds. I can tell you this, great teqnique and consistency can eliminate some of the parallax problem.

Good luck.