• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Your opinion on Mid-Range optic for AR-15

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
I have an AR-15, 1:9, 16" barrel (Stag Arms so nothing too fancy) that I have staring me in the face in need of a medium range scope. I had a Trijicon Accupoint 3x9 on it but sold it to fund a NF for my .308. I also had an Eotech XPS 2-0 but never used it so I sold it as well. The Trijicon was the first scope I ever owned so I have no frame of reference as to compare it to others. I'm going to be taking some rifle classes and I "think" having a scope that ranges from 1-6 or 1-8 would be good to have since it can serve 2 purposes right? I would also use the scope to punch paper at lets say 100-300 yards max so I can try to fine tune my skills to help me be more efficient with my .308. Am I mistaken not mentioning a 3-9 or a 2.5-10? Lets say I'd be willing to spend max $600-$700 give or take $50.

Come to think of it, would it also be a better idea to get a more powerful scope and have a cheaper red dot as well (Primary Arms, Bushnell, Vortex etc..). I would be using the AR for more precision work.

Re: Your opinion on Mid-Range optic for AR-15

I'd either go with the SS 3-9 or wait bit for the SS 1-6 to come out. Or if you cant wait, get the 3-9 and trade it in towards the 1-6 when it comes out, they hold their value excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVT_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd either go with the SS 3-9 or wait bit for the SS 1-6 to come out. </div></div>

I would wait for the 1-6 ... the 1-4 is a good little scope and this one is gonna be better.

I think the SWFA 1-6x would be worth waiting for. I really like what I have seen so far.
I have the 3-9x SWFA and love it. Lot of scope for the dollar.

If you're taking carbine classes then get an Aimpoint, not a magnified scope. The simplicity and ease of use of an RDS free you up to focus on improving other skills. A magnified scope is just a handicap. You'll never take it off 1x anyway, and then you'll have to deal with eye relief and eye box issues so why bother?

Now I know someone will chime in to say they use a 1-4x for carbine classes and it works great. Yes it CAN work. I'm just saying there are better options for that particular scenario.