• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Thoughts On CCI Standard Velocity .22lr

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Made an ammo trade with a friend of mine today. He had 7 boxes of CCI Standard Velocity .22lr (1070 fps) 40gr LRN, and wanted something with a bit more poop (so to speak) so I offered him 7 boxes of Federal 510B .22lr (1240 fps) 40gr LRN, for his CCI ammo. He was happy to make the trade. He shoots a standard Ruger 10/22 and was worried the CCI wouldn't cycle for him - so I figured since I like the bolt action and like to shoot at 200 yards, this subsonic ammo would be worth a try.

To those that have shot this CCI ammo, what was your opinion of it? I'll most likely try it out in my Savage MK II FVT... Don't know if this particular rifle will like it or not, but I felt I couldn't pass up the trade. I kind of think the CCI Standard is somewhat at the bottom of the barrel as CCI ammo goes, but Federal 510B is far from the top of the barrel, at least from my results with it.

I love cci std vel when I can find it. Its a bargain compared to ammo like Wolf Match, (about $20 less per 500) so I can tolerate a flier or two for the money..

It's cheap but inconsistant. Good for practice but no good for competition where one shot off determines whether you win or don't win.

I've shoot at least a thousand 40 grain 1070 fps CCI out of my 10/22 and have never had an issue. I shoot the Green Tag version, which is a more consistent, cheap match grade ammo. From an accuracy stand point my rifle (20" Green Mountain S/S bull barrel) likes the lower velocity round, groups are double in size with anything over 1200 fps, and it really doesn't like the 1300 fps Winchester Super X. The SV should shoot fine for you and you might be surprised at the accuracy, just don't expect match grade groups.

for shorter than 50 yard practice and backyard varmints it's not bad ammo at all... It's no match grade accuracy but for the price you shouldn't expect it.

Thanks guys. Sounds like the CCI Standard is to CCI - what Eley Sport is to Eley. First chance I get I'll get out and try the CCI Standard. I don't think I'm any worse off trading away the 7 boxes of Federal 510B for this CCI ammo. Thanks again for your input.

I have a 40xb that loves them...on occasion there is an unexplained flyer...but for the cost, I can live with them. Definently not match ammo, but a good practice round.

Last edited:
I'll echo pretty much what everyone else said. I shot a ton out of my TRR-SR when I first got it. Good general ammo for the price, pretty consistent at 50 yards, occasional flyer. Have switched to Wolf for the most part and looking for a better match round. I'd buy some now if I could find it.

It is a consistient shooter for me in my savage MKII, and a lot cheaper than the wolf match ammo (or it used to be cheaper). And I know it will be .2mil adjustment @ 50yds...

I have a Marlin XT-22 VR that loves it. Shoots identical to CCI Green Tag for me at a much lower price... when I can find it.

It should be ok for 200 yard shooting since its fps are under the speed of sound (1070 fps listed) where as where I live the average speed of sound is 1117 fps. I've always had better results at 200 yards with the slower stuff, and the higher velocity (such as the Federal 510B - 1240 fps) just fails completely. At 50 yards and under the 510B is ok, but IMHO from the testing I've done, it just doesn't cut it at 200 yards.

It should be ok for 200 yard shooting since its fps are under the speed of sound (1070 fps listed) where as where I live the average speed of sound is 1117 fps. I've always had better results at 200 yards with the slower stuff, and the higher velocity (such as the Federal 510B - 1240 fps) just fails completely. At 50 yards and under the 510B is ok, but IMHO from the testing I've done, it just doesn't cut it at 200 yards.

The dreaded transonic wobble

I shoot the shit out of it in my handgun. For a precision .22... I want ammo with more precision.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to do well in my CZ455, especially at 100 yds. It isn't downright terrible, and the price is digestible...but I'm getting much better results with Wolf MT. I've sort of written it off as an ammo my rifle doesn't like, but hey I'd take any of it at this point!

i don't mind the CCI std. vel, i did alot of testing with it, but with the new site, lost most of my testing linkies.

as mentioned above, for more serious competition, i'd go with wolf or sk or eley, but for general shooting i love it for the price.

through the CZ 455V at 200 i'm getting 6"ish, at 100 usually 1.25" or less. through the savage mkii, 200 around 7" and 100 1.5" or less with it (bipod, prone, from the shoulder.

it's definately a cut above the bulk stuff, but not quite the standard of wolf and sk. but it is half the price too, and reliable enough to satisfy if using 200-300 rounds per range trip.

Thanks guys. Sounds like the CCI Standard is to CCI - what Eley Sport is to Eley. First chance I get I'll get out and try the CCI Standard. I don't think I'm any worse off trading away the 7 boxes of Federal 510B for this CCI ammo.

Well, not really. Eley sport is loaded by Aguila. It is really more Aguila than Eley. Eley does do the same thing that CCI does with lot selection. The best testing lots of CCI Standard are actually sold as Green Tag. Of the highest end Eley for the rifle, that with the EPS bullet, you can buy it in Team, Match, and Tenex flavors with Tenex getting the best lots. Eley also does something similar with lot selection for the lower cost ammo it produces but that gets more complicated to explain.

I think that CCI STD is unquestionable the best stuff that can be bought for $26 a brick (last time I bought it) some folks have purported to get some really incredible groups from some lots. It seems like all American ammo is subject to this higher than European degree of lot to lot variance. The lots I have shot did not do as well as the Eley Sport (~30 a brick) I have had in testing still, for $26 a brick in the paper box its pretty amazing. I do not buy it in the plastic box. That comes out to something like $38 a brick and isn't worth it.

Pretty simple, the CCI SV is a cut above the bulk stuff, a cut below Wolf MT (which in turn is a cut below Wolf ME, which is a cut below the good Eley stuff ... so on and so forth). You do pay for what you get, but for what you pay (or used to pay) for the CCI SV, you get a pretty good bit.

My savage MKII loves CCI SV. shot after shot at 50 yds stays within the 1" square of the target. I have shot an entire 50 rnd box of it through the Savage and it makes a ragged hole about the size of the 1" square. I've also used the rifle and CCI SV to kill all manner of vermin. a very confidence-inspiring rig with this ammo.

My Remington 504-T HB hates CCI SV, doesn't shoot it worth crap. Loves Wolf MT, though, and shoots it consistently into slightly smaller groups than the Savage with the CCI SV.

I don't own a .22 that won't shoot at least one of these two types of ammo well. If I'm buying for my rifles, I'm buying one of these two.

p.s. the CCI SV is the most accurate ammo in my Ruger MKIII as well ...

I was going to test the CCI at 100 yards yesterday, but the gusting 10 to 17 mph cross-wind yesterday just didn't appeal to me. Aside from the wind, it was a nice day

My Cz's Tend to like it quite a bit. Its no Eley or anything like that but for some accurate plinking and plugging critters I love it. Im just frustrated tht my supply is dwindling and fools are asking prices of Centerfire ammo for it now

I noticed that cci has different product numbers that say CCI SV. The ones I've had good luck with are the 0032's. Are the other ones just packaged differently?

The one's I traded for came in 50 round boxes, #0035... The stated FPS is 1070... They are 40 grain lead round nose... Is the 0032's the 100 count box?

I've fired a few thousand of them and have usually been pleased with the performance.
They work great in several S&W M41s that tend to be a bit finicky.
I've shot a 392/400 in 4P on A17 targets with it from a Winchester 52C.

the downside...
An occasional unexplaineable flier and it chambers too hard to shoot in my Anschutz 2013.
My 4-Hers happily burn it up in entry level Anschutz rifles without a problem.

Agree with most of the comments. I use it when I want to shoot suppressed cheaply. It's pretty accurate but not like Green Tag, Wolf or Eley for accuracy.

However, I will take anything I can get.

CCI-SV is more accurate in my CZ453 than Wolf Match Target is. It's like winning the lottery: finding out your rifle prefers the cheap stuff!

Question;

Has anyone used a Rimfire Thickness Guage to sort these CCI SV's before doing any testing at the Range with them? I understand that one of these guages is a useful tool.

CCI SV is good stuff. It's my ammo for suppressed shooting. I just can't get over the fact that there's no .22 around nowadays.

I have shoot our forum 100 yard fun comp with CCI SV 0032 for the last year or so, used to be about 7 cents a round, with front rest, rear shoulder, 25 rounds can group close to 2 inches if i read the wind right, but most times there will be 2 fliers or so out of 25. I will try some Wolf MT when i have a chance. I like the the CCI SV 0032, since it is cheaper, so i can shoot more. I have shoot 0032 as well, i think it does not groups as well as the 0032. I read somewhere, they are the same ammo if the tray that holds the round is plastic in the paper box.

CCI std. Velocity has always performed excellent in my rifles and it is my budget go to ammo when not shooting the higher end Lapua and eley match ammo.

I've got a 10/22 with a fenderson barrel that shoots the CCI standard vel better then wolf but not so in my savage mkII.

CCI generally runs really well in 10/22's. Quite accurate stuff too.

I have 2 kinds of CCI standard vel 40 grn. One w/ 50 rd in the box & 100 rds in plastic casing. The 100 rds more pricey than 50 per rd & more accurate.

most people rate it good period. as do i. Is there a bunch of stuff that shoots much better out of my sticks. yeah. but for off the gunshelf .22 cci rates pretty high next to all the regulars.

I havent been on this forum in a while (.22) Maybe its an influx of new members or something but aren't most of you guys aware that .22 in particular is especially picky about what gun might shoot what ammo better than everything else. Im surprised to see people asking what ammo is best for there gun or what gun to build around a stash of ammo.

Sure there are different levels of .22 but your are never really gonna know whether its eley or lapua or rws until you shot a bunch.