• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Your thoughts on the Zeiss #4 reticle?

Hondo64d

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
The Big Country
Getting ready to send my 3-9 Conquest off for an elevation turret and am torn on whether or not to change the reticle to a #4 or just leave it as the Z-Plex. I like the idea of the #4, but on the only one I've had (a Leupold), the centerwire sub tension was too big (1" at 100 yards) to allow as precise a shot placement at longer distances as I would like. IIRC, Zeiss' #4 supposedly covers 1/2" at the same distance. That might be ok but I can't decide if that would still obscure too much target at longer distances to allow the most precise shot placement.

The purpose of this scope will be primarily hunting. Want to be able to place shots precisely at longer ranges, but still have a bold enough reticle for pigs at sunset +45 minutes. What do you guys think? Add the #4 or stay with the Z plex?

John

Re: Your thoughts on the Zeiss #4 reticle?

It depends on how far you think your longest shots will be. For me, the #4 reticle is better in low light, and on moving targets, than the duplex, but only for hunting situations where I am expecting running game, heavy brush, etc. Bear and wild boar hunting are examples. I would not use such a reticle for mountain deer or sheep hunting.

If your hunting includes all of the above types, I suggest you stay with the duplex.

Good hunting!