• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Youth 22LR Rifle

Re: Youth 22LR Rifle

I started my 5 yr old grandson with a Chipmunk rifle.
He is 10 now and uses a Browning BL22 with peep sites.

Coach

Same question was asked on another board and people were mentioning getting a 10/22 with an adjustable stock because as they said then you dont have to buy twice. I got my 8 year old a Henry youth and it was great. single shot, light enough for him and his friends to shoot and accurate. My son shot it till he was 10 or almost 11 then I got him a 10/22 which even at 11 was a strugle for him to shoot off hand. I eventially replaced the barrel with a tacsol aluminum barrel and it was more managable for him. Now at almost 14 he shoot all my adult guns. So really it depends on your childs age and strength. Dont buy a rifle for him/her to grow into because if your child shoots a gun thats too big for him he will learn to shoot incorrectly and you dont want that.

I got a 'pink' cricket for my daughter when she was 5. Single shot, pretty solid, and cheap. Found out she had an eye problem about the time I had a rail machined for it and put a red-dot on it. Super fun to shoot. She used it until about 8, at which point she started shooting a Savage Mark II. I favor bolt guns for beginners (well, and myself) over a 10/22. The cricket is now painted fire-engine red, to be gender neutral
wink.gif

Started my daugter out on a CZ 452 scout (not the Pink one, I just couldn't) the Crickets were just too small and I like the CZ trigger much better. Mounted a weaver V16 scope on it and she is very happy and very protective of "her" rifle. I am looking at her next rifle ( will take the CZ for my son)looking at a 10/22 in a Pink Youth stock.