• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Youth 22LR

armydog

Staff Sargeant Ret.
Minuteman
  • Nov 26, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I need your Opinions, my grandson will be 6 years old when i get home from Deployment and i want to start teaching him to use a rifle, his Mom was 4 but he wasn't as mature as she was at that age. What model rifle should i buy him to learn on? I'm going with a 22LR, been looking at the Crickets but is there a better more versatile unit out there? Kids grow up fast and i want him to get the most use he can out of it before we need to get him something better, larger. I know i want a bolt action, single shot I think would be best so we can't chamber a round without me giving him one. Any way what are your thoughts.
    Best regards,
    Jeff

Re: Youth 22LR

I bought the Marlin 15Y for my then 7 year old daughter. I had to cut an inch or so off the stock to fit her back then. When she got older I got a new stock for it.

My local gun guy talked me (thankfully) out of buying the cricket. At his suggestion, I went with a CZ452 Scout. It's 22 lr and as Jason stated above, it comes with a single shot adapter, but they sell true magazines. It's built like a rifle should be and my oldest has enjoyed it's use for 7 years. Hell, I enjoy shooting the rifle.

Same as above, I bought my boys a CZ 452 Scout when they were 7 and 9. I was hunting around for a youth 22 that 1) I did not have to manually cock for each shot and 2) had the ability to accept a magazine, but could be used as a single shot during their learning phase. They were really inexpensive but still a quality little rifle.

I took a stock 10/22 cut the stock down and modify grip alittle. Then you have a great rifle that as they grow you can put 15.00 used stock cut to fit on.When the kids are big enough new barrel/stock then they have there first custom.I know it's not a bolt gun just what I do for my 3 boys

I bought my daughter a Marlin 917vls .17hmr rifle it is really set up and your kid will grow into it really well. Plus the rifle is great for you to practice positional stuff and is accurate out to 300yds.

I topped it with a BSA sweet 17 scope that has all the features of a real tactical scope so it is a great training tool for your kids too.

Cricket for child 1, Remington Model 5 for child 2, CZ Scout for child 3. While they all served the purpose the 5 and the Scout are better suited for them as they grow and the CZ is hands down the better rifile of the three. I learned as I went....you can benefit from that!

I think the Savage MKII GY provides a full sized, full featured bolt action .22lr repeater with a stock that is appropriate to a youth's proportions. When the stock is outgrown, the rifle is still perfectly usable, restocked with an adult proportioned aftermarket stock. This makes economic sense, long run; but even more, it allows the young shooter to stay with something trusted and familiar.

Greg

^^^^what greg said.

might as well get a regular sized rifle, then cut down the stock to youth dimensions, then restock later, or add one of those slip on recoil pads for instant extra LOP. the market for rimfires isn't what it used to be, there are many options is restocking now available, and you can always buy a replacement stock from the manufacturer.

i'd probably go with a savage mkii or marlin 925 (or wait a few months until the XT22 series becomes more available) with sporter barrel and synthetic stock and open sights to keep down on weight, and still have the options to add "goodies" as far as bases / scopes / stocks / drop in triggers, etc. as the kids grow. plus the mkii - 925 series base models can be picked up at walmart for under / around $225

for the single feed you desire, pick up and extra magazine or two, with one round in each. teaches some mag changes and muzzle dicipline as a side benefit.

the CZ as mentioned above has more of that "big rifle" look and feel, and IMO better shooting - but a little pricier.

the remington model 5 is also a nice rifle, . a really good shooter, big rifle look and feel. i've shot it a few times, still kicking myself in the butt for not getting one when cabela's were selling them for 180.00 2 years ago. unfortunately NOW DISCONTINUED, it'll be tough to find parts / restock if needed to.

back to the savage and marlin, if the barrel length matters you can always cut it back yourself
    LOW BUDGET .22 SIL. RIFLE/TRAINER - shortening the barrel you'll end up losing the front sight, but if handy enough you can drill / tap / and install one yourself, even maybe JB weld one on.

but in the end, IMO the full sized .22 is the way to go, slightly modified for a youth now, then "reset" later as they grow.

Beat me to the link, admittedly its not without modification.

However I don't thing its not in the spirit of snipershide for <span style="text-decoration: underline">anyone</span> to leave <span style="text-decoration: underline">anything</span> stock for any amount of time.

Accurate, cheap, and specifically designed as a starter rifle for kids. I and all of my friends will testify that it is fully capable of functioning for adult sized shooters.

I've been very happy with a Savage Mk II .22 for my kid (I think it's the GY - youth version). I got the grown-up version to go with it. Very happy with both. And if you're going to 50 yds I'd highly recommend the Redfield Revolution 3-9 for it. Very clear and simple glass. Won't focus at 25 yds, though, so get a rimfire scope if shooting short range.
    Seems to be shooting 40g better than 36g.

I've shot one, I still own it, and both Grandkids I bought it for have outgrown it.

My son is six and I bought him a Cricket for his 6th birthday. I looked around and LOP seemed to dictate the Cricket. I have been very impressed so far. Last weekend my son was making 120 yard hits on a 12x20 plate in heavy winds. For a $120 investment I cannot be any happier.

Something with irons on it, teach him to shoot open sights before a scope. Single shot or repeater is fine, a repeater would be a step up for him later, just limit him to 1 round at a time now. After each shot he needs to be handed a round before he gets to shoot again.

I have a Remington 513T available if you're interested in it. It's a CR elligible, youth Target rifle. Beautiful wood, sights are not the originals, but they are redfield micrometer, diopter sights.