• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

youth .260?

redrum007

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
North West
Thinking of starting my boys out on a .260 Remington(unless you have a better caliber suggestion) for deer and other critters. Any suggestions on manufactures that would have an economical, durable and accurate rifle or carbine that would fill the need. Thanks again.

Re: youth .260?

260 is a perfectly reasonable caliber to start kids deer hunting with. I started with a 7mm-08 when I was 9 or 10 and didn't have any trouble. 243, 260, and 7mm-08 are all based on the same case and are all good caliber choices.

Everyone has a different idea of what economical is, but for a young person's rifle I would look at synthetic stock and all stainless metal. Remington is a classic choice (700 only... don't fall for the Model Seven) but for a stock, factory rifle I might look at the Tikka T3 or one of the Savage rifles.

You may look at the Ruger Compact, it is a light and handy little thing that would serve you well.

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeCompact/models.html

17105.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeLaminateCompact/models.html

17107.jpg

I was going to get one in 260 or 7mm-08 for my daughter but my uncle came through with a 6.5x55 for her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, by the way why not the model seven? Not as "good" as the 700 or?</div></div>

The idea of the Model Seven was to have a more basic, less expensive rifle than the Model 700. Unfortunately they are reported to be plagued with QC issues.

What are the QC issues associated with the model 7? Are there more issues than the model 700?

I'd be getting this one here.
A youth stock to start with and a full size to grow into, would be hard to beat.

I started my nephews out with my Encore, with a youth buttstock installed; 260 Rem/120 NBTs loaded with H4895 "youth loads" (at least 60% of Max specified H4895 charge).

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

Put the full size buttstock back on when they grow into it, add a 20 or 12 ga barrel for fowl and small game, and with barrels ranging from 22LR through 375 H&H plus Muzzle Loader, they can hunt anything they want with it.

Cheers,

Bill

I too am interested in so called problems of the model seven . Myself and many of my friends have several model sevens.

My model 7 has a tendancy to be too easy to pack around. There is no reason a reliable package should be this neat and compact.

hunting buddy has a model 7 in 7mm-08 that has this same problem so it seems to be a consistant issue.

My son took his first buck at age 8 with a Steyr Pro Hunter carbine in .260 caliber with 120 grain Remington ammo. I chose the Steyr because the safety is a three position safety which locked the bolt down on the third position. The stock had an adjustable LOP system whereby removing or installing spacers to adjust LOP as he got older/bigger. Barrel was thin which helped balance the gun. The 20 inch barrel length made it easy to manuever. Also had the best factory trigger I ever came across. The bottom of the forend was sort of flat which helped him steady up in the window of a shooting house for his shot.
The rifle makes a handy tree stand gun too.

I thought a TC Contender carbine was ideal and with the ability to switch calibers was a smart/economic path to go down. He didn't shoot it well and didn't balance well. Personally I suggest getting a descent rifle to begin with (that's where you will end up)and start them off right. The .260 will be fine. You can use 95 gr. for varmint/plinking and 120/130/140 gr. for medium sized game.

Another suggestion getting them started in the right direction (after getting a proper fitting firearm) is not spend too much time having them shooting paper at 100 yards (boring) but have them shooting at ballons in regular field/hunting conditions. Kids enjoy that more. Good luck and have fun.

A Remington 700 with a McMillan adjustable stock so you can adjust the LOP as needed would be awsome.

Caliber wise - I know a lot of us started on bigger calibers as kids, but truth be told. Unless he is a bigger kid, even a .243 can be a little bitty for a new hunter. You want the rifle to be enjoyable to shoot. Something He can take out in a T-shirt and shoot all afternoon and have fun. I'm a big fan of the .223. It doesn't cost much to feed and can take altmost any game withing reason with the proper bullet.

Good Luck,

JamieD

Fair enough. I've heard about problems but can't remember where. Maybe they were exaggerated. I shouldn't have said anything.

I like the Weatherby Vanguard compact. They used to come with an adult and a youth stock.

I lucked into a Ruger 77 International .250 Savage when my daughter was about 13.
The .260 with 95gr reduced loads would be a great choice.
Maybe the Ruger Compact in 7.62x39.