• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Youth Rifle

bassani

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Mandeville, LA
Considering putting together a youth rifle bolt action for my 11yo son to hunt whitetail.

Obvious concerns are stock and recoil.

Has anyone done this recently personally that is willing to give some advice to a novice?

With all the adjustable chassis/stocks and such, I figure this would be the best way to get some longevity out of a rifle.

I was thinking a 243 caliber to start.

Thanks for your input

Re: Youth Rifle

I would go 7mm-08 Rem700, maybe a sps youth for now with managed recoil ammo, or roll your own using H4895. Later drop it in a adult stock and with the 20" bbl will make a nice mountain rifle.

I made a 7x57 Mauser(ballistically similar to 7mm-08) for my twin girls (12) 120gn Noslers over some H4895 they both harvested Antelope this year.

Another vote for 7mm-08 or 7x57 - both very nice ballistically and will put the meat in the freezer.

My girl started killing stuff with a Micro Medallion from browning in a 7mm-08, The boy had a much better set up in weight and length with a Model 7 in 260.

scan0015.jpg

4thjuly016.jpg

scan0013.jpg

Dec.jpg

bear008.jpg

He was also bad to slum a Micro in Hornet

scan0010.jpg

sounds like the model 7 has the consensus
what are your thoughts on one with a pistol grip
i have always traditionally hunted with a non pistol grip rifle but find that pistol grip rifles have a more natural feel to them and would likely be easier for someone just learning to handle

Don't go with a single shot light rifle, even in 243 there is too much recoil. Even the Ruger youth 243 had a lot of recoil for my 11 yr old boy small frame.
DO NOT buy a single shot 20g youth, it almost brought tears to my eyes after I got done laughing at the boy and I took a shot.

What I did was get a Tikka T3 Light in 30-06 and if you reload start out with reduced loads. There are a lot of reduced load data for the 30-06. Check your caliber to see what is offered. Trail Boss has the lowest recoil and thats with a full load. I tried several reduced loads with 100g 110g bullets and then tried Trail Boss. No recoil with Trail Boss. Nice thing about Trail Boss is the youth can load his/her own ammo as there is no chance to over load with Trail Boss.
With other reduced loads, my boy can shoot the 30-06 all day long as there is hardly any recoil. I slowly worked up to the Remington Reduced loads they offer and by the time he was up to 16, he was shooing full loads.

You can do this with other calibers but if you start with a youth rifle/small caliber you will be replacing it soon after.

Its strange to see a small boy shoot a 30-06 likes its a 22lr and its even funner to shot it your self...Till the boy throws in a full load to the mag!!!

I don't know why ammo manufactures don't make "Starter Load" for youths and woman??? Even the Reduced Recoil Rem loads have a kick. More people would get in to rifle shooting if they could work their way up to full loads.

Never thought there was much of a difference between a bolt rifle and crack-barrel with respect to recoil?

Now a semiautomatic is a different story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landtoy80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can do this with other calibers but if you start with a youth rifle/small caliber you will be replacing it soon after.</div></div>

heck im 6'5 about 240 and love shooting my model 7. i dont see replacing it because i outgrew it. small lightweight easy to manevure.if you load for your guns you can reduce loads no matter what caliber you go with. theres a youtube video on the hide somewhere with a 8yr old kid shooting a 338 lapua mag over and over. recoil can be tamed many different ways.