• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Youth Single Shot .22 Suggestions?

Re: Youth Single Shot .22 Suggestions?

The little Thompson/Center is really cool and it shoots good. break action single shot. My other suggestion would be more expensive but a much higher quality firearm. Look at the CZ repeaters, you can get a blank magazine for them that makes it a single shot, then put a real magazine in it after they have shown that they are safe with the rifle. The nice thing with the CZ, they can keep it their whole life and never outgrow it and they are very accurate.

Haven't posted in a while but I'll give you my 2cents.

Look at what you want out of it. Serverl years ago I bought a Savage for my son, curantly the "Cub" is the closest thing to what we bought. The main reason was it was the only one I could find that had peep sights already on it. I won't deny there are better or fancier out there. But we're talking about a starter rifle. He used it until it was passed on to his sister a few years ago. He still says it's his, she just borrows it. He's 17 she's 11, He's got his own AR now and she's shooting an M&P15-22. It still gets a little use but not much.

At beginner distances (15-25 yards) it's plenty accurate to teach on and capable at any "normal" rimfire ranges. The short stock is goofy for my 6'1" hieght, and the old trigger on it isn't a masterpiece either but both are sevicable. I'm sure the Accu-trigger on the currant Cub is an improvement. I have been able to show them when it's "not hitting" that it was them and not the rifle. Once in a while we have hade poor extraction with it but it is usually due to older ammo or crud. Ammo wise it is good for shorts, longs, and long rifle. I started my daughter out with a 20+ year old box of Federal shorts. She ate them up and was onto the next box. A 25 yard rimefire spinner is easy for her in a supported position. I make her shoot farther now or from a different position.
I would reccomend the Savage based on my experience, but wouldn't speak ill of others until having had experience with them.

Don't forget to check into an Appleseed shoot for your young one either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aer454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a good youth single shot .22 LR rifle for a first gun. I bet there are dozen's of makes and models out there, but looking for a few suggestions. Thanks! </div></div>I know that Mossberg makes one that is a bolt action. I believe it has the ability, with the right magazine, to make it a repeater for when the child gets more experienced with shooting. I think it comes with the single shot magazine though and you would have to order the higher capacity magazine from Mossberg. Also, you might want to look at the rifle called the "Cricket". I've seen them, but boy they are small.
smile.gif

Thanks for the reply guys. The intention for the rifle would be pretty strictly an introduction/training gun for the first few years of their shooting experience. Over time it'll be replaced all together by something else.

While googling your guys recommendations I came across this Comparing Youth .22's Website which had many of the rifles recommended and some.

I think the Crickett is the rifle I'm looking for.
smile.gif
Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

Bill,
I recently bought my son a CZ 452 Scout, which is a repeater that comes with a single-shot adapter instead of a magazine. I was afraid that he would outgrow the single-shot limitations pretty fast. The little rifle is quite accurate and very well-made.

I'll look into it, Aubrey, thanks. After my post about the Crickett I've read a few reviews talking about it being really low quality. I dont want or need any sort of high grade walnut stock, sub MOA shooting rimfire for the lad. But I dont want something to break or something to fail and hurt him either.

Marlin 915Y is another one I'm looking into. If his knowledge and skill with shooting starts to outgrow the gun, I intend to 'upgrade' him to something else, 10/22, Marlin 60, or maybe a centerfire. Anyway, we'll just have to see what happens.

The CZ is a nice a nice gun I went with the Savage Cub and painted them for my niece and nephew they seem nice for the money I didn't get the thumbhole stock model as I was not able to see the peep sight with the high cheekweld. Here is a pic.
162.jpg
159.jpg

You did not say how old he is the cricket is only 2.5 lb. or so the savage is a 3.5lb. and the cz 4+ lb. that might be some thing to think about depending on how big he is.

I purchased a cricket for my five year old son. I can say that the particular rifle we use is built well for an $90.00 rifle. Iron sights, scope base, a cricket brand mildot scope, rings and a soft case for all under $150.00 a year ago on sale as a package. Can't beat it. The trigger SUCKS, but is is about fun and keeping them interested at that age. I have shot the little thing more than once, and the accuracy has actually impressed me for a kids starter rifle, and it is built rather well. I have no experience with other brand youth rifles so take it for what it's worth. I plan on using it when the time comes for my 1 year old as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill,
I recently bought my son a CZ 452 Scout, which is a repeater that comes with a single-shot adapter instead of a magazine. I was afraid that he would outgrow the single-shot limitations pretty fast. The little rifle is quite accurate and very well-made. </div></div>

+1

I went threw the same thing. I decided that I wanted it to be a rifle that will last if he wants it too. The CZ is built like a real rifle, not a plastic toy (cricket). I figured that for a little extra might as well get some thing that will last him for as long as he wanted.

I wish I still had my first rifle, and if my son feels the same way when he is my age then it will not because I bought him a cheap gun that fell apart.

My first non BB gun was a Springfield model 53b. It was over 45yrs old when my grandpa gave it to me. After I learned the fundamentals it shoots minute of soda can to about 75yds. Last summer my dad and I were shooting primers out of 20g cases at 25 yds. A good single shot 22 may no longer be in vogue but no one really outgrows them.
That being said a marlin bolt action tube fed would be a good choice as you can load it singly or charge the tube. Plus you can shoot shorts from the magazine, which a box magazine will not do. Also not in vogue but a proven and dependable system.

If you like the manual cocking mechanism of the crickets a used savage 120a is a great choice. Single shot, inexpensive and manually cocked. They can be had for very little if your lucky. I picked up my third for 40 bucks at Cabelas a month ago.

It really depends on what you really want. New vs used. Semi vs bolt/lever/pump. And your price point. I shot single shots and tube feds exclusively until I was about 20. Always thought 10/22s with thier cool hi cap mags were the cats meow. I own a 10/22 and it's been a little disappointing after all that hype. YMMV.

When my dad started me out he got me a Marlin Model 15 yn

Not sure how good they are but it always worked for me and i killed a few rabbits with it when i was young.

Another big +1 for the CZ Scout. If he doesn't have any interest after all, then daddy gets another high quality rifle that only needs either a new stock or a LOP lengthener
wink.gif

Otherwise, Savage is the next best option and much cheaper.

HTH

The Remington 510/511/512etc. are nice and pretty good shooters but they are a full adult size rifle.

My children like shooting a Henry stainless with fiber optic sights.

I forget the model, easy to find though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbuck88</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wish I still had my first rifle, and if my son feels the same way when he is my age then it will not because I bought him a cheap gun that fell apart. </div></div>

Amen to that, brother. Made a damn good point, that never came to mind.

I was too focused on finding a tool to introduce him to something, in hopes that he'll be interested... And not actually thinking of WHAT I'd be handing him, if he were to make it a part of his lifestyle and looked back on 'His first gun, from pa'.

What was I thinking?
confused.gif
crazy.gif

Thanks, jbuck88!

Something else to consider: don't get too wrapped around the axle about getting a "youth" gun. The savage mark ii and cub are identical actions. And you can put an adult gun in a shorter stock. Since I doubt you want to teach off hand right away the actual weight of the gun is negligible on sandbags. Plus many of the rimfires manufactured after WWII have birch stocks and tend to be 'medium' sized.

^Good Point^

The CZ are the same too. They use the same action as the others so you can buy a full sized replacement stock later. Or now and save it for later.

I've found the CZ Scout surprisingly manageable, much like shooting an M4 with stock pushed forward for nose-to-charging-handle length of pull. (I am 5'-10"). Very hand size. Adding a slip-on recoil pad may be all that is required for taller shooters.

The Rem 510 is a great old gun that is much better made than any new rifle. Barrels come on/off very easy (two pins)and are readily available. You can find a short barrel or shorten one yourself easy enough, throw a longer one on as the kid grows.

Stocks actually run kinda small on these, also readily available

My father in law and I found a Marlin/glenfield model 15 at a gun show last year and he bought it for my (then 6 year old) son. I cut the stock down and refinished it. It's a great shooting gun. I have a set if rimfire rings and a Bushnell Banner 4x scope to put on it when he gets proficient with the irons. My father in law bought a new stock for it from Numrich so it can go to full size when he outgrows the cut down stock. My daughter asked if she was old enough for her own rifle a couple of weeks ago so I'm looking for something similar to cut up and paint pink. Beater .22s are still pretty abundant at gun shows.