• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Youtube video

ELKMAN338

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2014
roosevelt ut
Hey guys I just wanted to post this and see what you guys thought. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjRFRcUjf3g
I was dying watching this video a lot of people watch his stuff. If I ever saw somebody mounting a scope like this I would rip
it out of there hands and take it home and do it myself. There were so many issues I had with this I don't know were to begin.
He first said its his wife rifle but he was setting the eyerelief with his cheek position. No torque wrench he has pretty good feeling
for this kind of stuff. Didn't clean out the oil for the mounting holes. Did this little wiggle thing when wrenching on the bases instead of
pushing them forward same with base didn't mention you should check fit of base to see if you need to epoxy. Holy crap I could go on and
on but I digress watch vid and have some laughs or cry like I did.

I wouldn't question this guy's method on anything. When he says he has a good feel for it, I believe him. I've watched his entire series and it is more comprehensive than even many of the books written on this topic. He has a lot of experience and seems to really know his stuff. Plus, he's a great shot.

However, to your point, I wouldn't mount my scope like that either. Mostly just because I don't trust myself to get it right without instruments and tools.

The only reason I care so much is I don't. Just wanted to get some different opinions on the vid. I take a lot of care when mounting my optics on my guns it doesn't do you a lot of good to have a 3000 dollar piece of glass if its not mounted correctly.
I use to be a engine machinist and put a lot of engines together and theres reasons we have torque wrenches I cannot tell when im torqueing headbolts down by feel alone. Shit maybe it does bother me I hate seeing people being
instructed wrong. Then it just starts a cycle of what not to do. Oh well just wanted some opinions got them

First lesson I learned from mounting is never underestimate the recoil for big caliber. Both my of Bushnell Elite 6500 on top of Tikka T3 (30-06) and Valdada Crusader on top of Steyr SSG004 300 WM) shifted under recoil. Valdada sent me a beefy 6-scews scope rings and I added a base ball bat handle wrapper tape to the inside of the rings and no further issues. For my Tikka I had to replace the rings with a Tulley base with half rings and no further issues. Lesson learned, never cheap out on rings/base and use some friction enhancing stuff.

The only reason I care so much is I don't. Just wanted to get some different opinions on the vid. I take a lot of care when mounting my optics on my guns it doesn't do you a lot of good to have a 3000 dollar piece of glass if its not mounted correctly.
I use to be a engine machinist and put a lot of engines together and theres reasons we have torque wrenches I cannot tell when im torqueing headbolts down by feel alone. Shit maybe it does bother me I hate seeing people being
instructed wrong. Then it just starts a cycle of what not to do. Oh well just wanted some opinions got them

I once watched his series on LR shooting and it wasn't too bad.
Plenty of misinformation in the first 5 minutes of this video so I'm not going to watch the entire thing.

Loctite has practically no effect as a threadlocker unless the male and female threads are completely degreased.
Changing the base screw to 8-40 (pronounced eight forty or maybe number 8 40 tpi) is for preventing recoil from loosening the base; the chambering and the weight of the rifle are considerations as well as the weight of the scope.
He dropped the base on the action without wiping off or even checking the mating surface, and what about the fit (does it require bedding)?
Lastly I would never create an instructional video advocating the use of feel for torqueing ring screws. Why would you do that to a precision optic?

I don't have time to watch the rest, but I expect more bad advice.
Rex may be a good shooter but he's a clusterfuck when it comes to mechanics.

Last edited:
OP, just an FYI, Rex is the man. He doesn't baby his any of his guns and he knows his shit through and through. I wouldnt question anything he does. Watch all of his vids and come back and tell me you can shoot better than him.

OP, just an FYI, Rex is the man. He doesn't baby his any of his guns and he knows his shit through and through. I wouldnt question anything he does. Watch all of his vids and come back and tell me you can shoot better than him.

I almost thought you were serious for a second. Tell me that you believe he smoked a beer can at 1236 yards on the first round using GPS distance?

You can learn a lot from SH and Rex.

I prefer Rex because he comes off as just a smart, honest guy who isn't frustrated at the world.

SH on the other hand, not so much.

Who can blame "SH"? I know I am damn sure frustrated at the world! That being said, I enjoy Rex's videos and he seems like a stand up guy.

Hey you're in the right place!

I doubt everyone who comes off as nasty on this site are as bad as they make out.
It seems to me a lot of it probably has to do with folks trying to impress or follow along with the site owner.

I could be wrong...

I wonder if T-Rex had a site if the banter would be as foul as this one? Or if folks would more or less follow his lead?

Rex videos are free too. He spent a shitload of time making those with not much to be gained monetarily. He is the reason I got into this sport. Humble, knowledgeable, and eager to teach. He has personally answered any questions Ive ever sent him. Never seams bias just a straight shooter. Good guitar player ass well.

I'm gonna chime in here and defend Rex as well. I watched his series, and I really appreciated the time and effort he invested to share his knowledge. He may not mount scopes the way that you'd like him to, or chose the equipment that you would have chosen, but I don't see you (directed at OP) making an instructional video. There's an old saying that when you throw dirt at others you not only end up getting your hands dirty but you also lose a lot of ground.

Last chime in on this discussion. Did nobody else notice that he said "6-40 screws, pretty much industry standard"? I am sure he meant 6-48 but he said 6-40 incorrect twice, not once but twice. He also mentions the correct size for the 8-40, but apparently details do not matter in his world, unlike details in long range shooting. Remember that you get what you pay for with education and the SH classes are some of the best. I am not affiliated with SH at all, that comment is from small views of the lessons posted on here and are just my personal opinion. I am not trying to bash on the guy and I am probably no better than he is but I would challenge him to show up, make one of his first round hits on anything beyond 1000 yards that are like his videos. I have seen guys make first round hits at 1760 with cold bore, but those guys are few and far between and none post to youtube those feats. Let the lashings commence.