• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Z8i vs vx6 hd glass

ouborat

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2014
Has anyone compared the glass on the leupold VX – 6HD 3-18 versus the glass on the Swarovski Z8i 2-16?
I'm wondering how big of a difference in quality there is In glass ( low light, resolution,clarity) and just in the quality of the scopes in general?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the VX 6 HD 3-18 as well. Really little out there with it's feature set for a lighter weight, do it all rifle. The low profile locking turrets on both elevation and windage, illumination, light weight and some decent reticle choices (liking the impact 29 MOA) appeal. This will be mounted on a Tikka CTR in 7-08 that will pull duty as a hunting rifle and back up comp rifle. 40 MOA of adjustment gets me out to a 1100 yards with my load. Hoping the glass compares favourably with some other higher end scopes.

The regular VX6 has very good glass so I was interested in what the VX 6HD looks like.
I think I got a really good deal on the z8i.

I am going Z8i on my new lightweight mountain GA precision 6.5 SAUM.

I've got the 1-8x24 Z8i - amazing glass with daytime bright illumination. I've compared it in low light with my NF 2.5-10x24 and NF 4-16 F1 ATACR. The Swarovski glass is noticeably better to me. I'm pulling the 1-8 off my AR and putting it on my custom 6.5 Creedmoor coyote rifle. I'm also puttIng a Z8i 42 or 50 on my 6.5 GAP 4S. If I could only have Swaro glass and illumination combined with NF turrets - ya buddy. :cool:

So I'm playing with a Z8i 2-16. Was looking at this cat maybe 20 yards away. So the cat looks pretty awesome on 2x, so I was trying to zoom in and get up to 16 X to really see details on the cat, but I could not get it to focus that close at high power. I kept playing with the diopter and the parallax but I could not get it to focus. I realize this is not a typical thing that the Scope will be used for as I will probably never use it to take a shot that close at that power but I was wondering if there is a way to focus it better?
I was also trying to look at some trees about 100 yards away and they were blowing around a lot and I wasn't 100% sure that I can get them to focus. Maybe due to the fact that it is hard to hold the scope stable by hand on 16x.
I didn't get to play with this very long yet so I'll have to try it again later.
So basically the diopter will focus the reticle, and the parallax will ensure the center point is inline, but do either of these have anything to do with focusing the image?
I guess I better go back and read the manual and play with this some more but just wanted to ask if somebody knows.

WARnerve,
can you give me more details about the glass comparison you did on the Swarovski Z8 I versus the in NF ATACR 4-16? Are u basically just saying it is better low light glass or all already better glass?

Dino, I have the regular VX6 3-18x44 and the glass is impressive so I doubt you will be disappointed with the HD model which I haven't seen yet. I think it is a great hunting scope from what little I have used it thus far.

I have the VX6 3-18x50mm on my AR. Its very good glass,but its not on the same page with any of my HD glass scopes like SWFA ss Zeiss HD5 or my Athlon Cronus BTR. But It will work great on MT Prairie dog fields.