• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ZCO 527 long term review

NorthWesterner

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA

Zero Compromise Optic 527
(MPCT2)

By: NorthWesterner

I have spent the 2020 PRS/RTC season using the ZCO 527 on my match gun. This is a short review of the features, benefits and perceptions I have noticed over the course of this year. Before diving in, I find it important to mention the team members at ZCO have been very helpful and accommodating in helping me acquire this optic. Nick Gebhardt spent a good amount of time working with me on the model and reticle selection. Nick has many years in the industry and has been shooting competitively for many years. Jeff Huber also walked me through the technical side of the optic. He is extremely knowledgeable and also touts decades of experience building optics for various OEM’s. Now that we have the intro set aside, I will dive into some both technical and objective observations about this top-notch optic.

First impressions

When first received, the optic was packaged in a fairly plain box. The scope was packaged very well and I had no concern for the possibility of it being damaged in shipping. The box didn’t look like it was very costly, which I prefer. I don’t want to pay extra money for packaging; just enough to get it to me safely is all I desire in a box. This scope exudes quality at first glance, from its aesthetics alone. Its build quality is tightly controlled. The ZCO team only produces a small number of these scopes daily due to the labor required to conduct the level of testing required to meet their build standards.

Turret operation

A major component of any scope’s usability is the operation and functionality of the turrets, zoom, parallax adjustment, and reticle illumination. I will break this down piece by piece for easy reference.

The turret design is large; I prefer this to a smaller diameter turret. Both elevation and windage knobs are not only large diameter but have notches cut for a better purchase with gloves or in inclement weather. The clicks are very positive and markings leave no question as to where you are located in the range. Zero stop is incorporated into the elevation in form of fixed angle below zero, which on my scope is .6 mil under zero. The elevation and windage both lock by depressing the knob, which is very easy and intuitive.

Parallax is located on the shooters left side. As a lefty this is usually an issue, but on the ZCO it’s large and easy to access both with my left or right hand. The design mimics the feel of the elevation/windage knob, so it’s no issue using blind.

Illumination is nested inside the parallax knob. At first I thought it would be easy to actuate the illumination on accident while adjusting parallax. Over time I found that not to be the case. I have never actuated the illumination by accident. Even if someone were to do that, ZCO has built in feature that shuts off the illumination if the optic is vertical or not touched for a period of time. I won’t go into too much more detail about that, if you are interested their website outlines that in more detail.

Zoom control direction is zoom IN clockwise from shooters position. The tension of the zoom is perfect, not too hard to move with cold hands or gloves, while remaining tight enough to not move if bumped or other unintended inputs.

Mechanical performance

Reticle and erector calibration/repeatability was spot on from my box test. Performing this test is a normal process for me, but there is noting I can do more than or even close to what is done in assembly and QC. Each scope is checked for reticle calibration along with turret calibration. Jeff informed me they not only do a standard 10 mil box test; they also test for full sweep of internal adjustment along with each individual click. At this point I have 100% confidence in the mechanical performance of the ZC527.

Optical performance

This section outlines what most people refer to as “glass quality”. I try to stay away from generalizing about the optical performance. The attributes below are several components that contribute to optical performance. Every person has a different interpretation of which of these attributes are more important. To my eyes, I seem to gravitate to a well-balanced blend of the following.

Resolution
This attribute is easily described as how detailed an image appears in the scope. The ZC527 is best in class for resolution. Fortunately this is a quantifiable, non-subjective metric. To put this in perspective, when viewing a steel target where alpha glass would see the impact point, the ZCO will allow you to see the splatter in the paint.

Brightness
Also a quantifiable metric where the ZCO is impressive. I find it on par with scopes that put this attribute at the forefront of design such as Kahles. The image is very bright even in adverse conditions such as low light heavy rain days.

Contrast
Described by most as target or image “pop”, contrast is important to picking up targets. In a lot of competition, steel targets get shot up to the point they are difficult to see. I found it very easy to pick out dull targets in cover, coupled with brown/grey background in rain. In my experience, this is the worst-case scenario for target acquisition. In this extremely difficult scenario I have found the ZCO to perform exceptionally well.

Parallax forgiveness
To put it simply, this scope is very forgiving with respect to parallax. It’s easy to dial in parallax free operation at any range. The resolution is so good; I found it easy to insure parallax free settings. On a side note, the parallax marking is very close to true at most temperatures. Some scopes fall short in this respect.

Field of view
ZC527 uses a 36mm main tube. This helps it with FOV and astounding lack of edge fringing. I found looking through the scope to have a big screen TV feel rather than a looking through a straw. 21’ of FOV minimum power and 4.5’ maximum power at 100yds is very good for this aspect ratio.

Chromatic aberration
This one is easy, ZERO perceivable Chromatic aberration. CA usually is detectable by color fringing at the edges of the image. The edge-to-edge clarity is unencumbered by this effect.

Conclusion

Overall for my use, the ZC527 is the perfect scope. It mixes all the features and attributes I want in a precision riflescope. I have confidence in its precision, repeatability, and durability. When it comes time for another scope, I will be adding a ZC420 without question. The price tag of $3600 is no small fee. I found this to be a tremendous value, despite the seemingly high price. You get what you pay for, and this optic is no exception to that rule.

One thing I would like to see with the ZCO is the addition of Tenebraex scope covers from the factory. The scope was designed with these in mind, incorporating a locking diopter that accepts the cover. Their reasoning of not including covers makes sense; there are several good covers on the market including what I use (AADLand). But if it came with Tenebraex, I wouldn’t have gone out to buy the AADLand caps.

Many quality ring/mount manufactures make fixtures for this scope. I personally use American Rifle Company rings. Spuhr, RRS, Hawkins, MPA, and Tier One are a few others I know of off hand also have offerings.

If you are in the market for a new alpha class scope, I highly recommend talking a look at ZCO. I don’t know of a single user who has been disappointed. The team at ZCO has spent a lot of time working to build the best scope on the market. I truly believe they have accomplished that goal.

I didn't try it over a full season, but I still liked it. Still not sure if I'd buy one, but I'm extremely interested in their 4-20.

I used a Schmidt & Bender 5-25×56 PMII as a reference.

Here's my conclusion for what it's worth. Probably too many images, but there are some out to 1800 meters.

I didn't try it over a full season, but I still liked it. Still not sure if I'd buy one, but I'm extremely interested in their 4-20.

I used a Schmidt & Bender 5-25×56 PMII as a reference.

Here's my conclusion for what it's worth. Probably too many images, but there are some out to 1800 meters.
I have a schmidt, pmII as well. I much prefer the ZCO. That said, all the tier one scopes sure are amazing these days. Its a good time to be a rifleman.

Last edited:
I have a schmidt, pmII as well. I much prefer the ZCO.

I had and still have the S&B (two) and already have more optics than rifles, so there's a constant battle.
I've done great with the S&B 5-25, which I've used this (extremely short) season, which is probably less than most here do in training.

The ZCO is more orange/red in the color which I think is probably more appealing to they eye not to mention the brain.
A bit like Kahles/Swaro versus the "colder" Zeiss, which - like S&B - are more grey/blue.
To me the warmer colors are easier to appreciate (in the short run), but when I start to compare (in the long run) what I can see I'm not as sure any more.

I decided the ZCO527 wasn't for me, but it's still a great optic but one cannot own them all.
Partly it is down to the reticle, which I know is a lame excuse anyone can use.
I fear what the ZCO420 might to to my S&B 5-20 and the Kahles 3-18 (which I don't own).

I had and still have the S&B (two) and already have more optics than rifles, so there's a constant battle.
I've done great with the S&B 5-25, which I've used this (extremely short) season, which is probably less than most here do in training.

The ZCO is more orange/red in the color which I think is probably more appealing to they eye not to mention the brain.
A bit like Kahles/Swaro versus the "colder" Zeiss, which - like S&B - are more grey/blue.
To me the warmer colors are easier to appreciate (in the short run), but when I start to compare (in the long run) what I can see I'm not as sure any more.

I decided the ZCO527 wasn't for me, but it's still a great optic but one cannot own them all.
Partly it is down to the reticle, which I know is a lame excuse anyone can use.
I fear what the ZCO420 might to to my S&B 5-20 and the Kahles 3-18 (which I don't own).

Want to trade a PM2 for your ZCO? I will send you a PM. :)

I’ve had my ZCO for several months now and like you, it’s quite the optic. I’m not a major fan of the locking turrets on my ZCO as I found that I would occasionally bump the turret down a little bit and it would grind against the lock when rotating the elevation knob. Schmidt and Benders locking turret design is probably my favorite. A clip of some sort to keep the turret unlocked (@Tyler Kemp looking at you mister 3D printing god) would be awesome to keep the turret unlocked. Other than that I have no other gripes about the scope that gives people Tangent Theta level glass for 1k less.

And to anyone looking for a ZCO feel free to contact us, there's a little wait but we are getting ZCO's to everyone who wants one :)
And to everyone waiting, we appreciate your patience :cool: With the pandemic going on, the supply chain with this whole industry has been out of wack. The good news is that the ZCO's are still steadily flowing, just a little slower than usual.

And to anyone looking for a ZCO feel free to contact us, there's a little wait but we are getting ZCO's to everyone who wants one :)
And to everyone waiting, we appreciate your patience :cool: With the pandemic going on, the supply chain with this whole industry has been out of wack. The good news is that the ZCO's are still steadily flowing, just a little slower than usual.
Any idea what your current wait is for a 5-27 in mpct2?

Before my ZCO I’ve used a couple different Leupolds and a SB for a very short time until I moved to a different platform. Now my current work gun runs a Mark 6. So Im pretty much stuck to what Gov contracts we get...So after I picked up my ZCO, I took it to our work range and had the guys look through it. The consensus was holy hell... the glass is amazing and turrets are fantastic. We have a few NFs atacr’s which just arent on the same level as the ZCO in my opinion. But my decision to get a ZCO over others was based 100% from SH reviews. Which was a gamble, but paid off 10 fold. Now when I use my work gun I hate everything about the glass. I wish I could get out more like you guys and get to matches where I can get to look through the different glasses. But since I can’t, I appreciate the reviews you guys bring to the table.

Last edited:
I’ve had my ZCO for several months now and like you, it’s quite the optic. I’m not a major fan of the locking turrets on my ZCO as I found that I would occasionally bump the turret down a little bit and it would grind against the lock when rotating the elevation knob. Schmidt and Benders locking turret design is probably my favorite. A clip of some sort to keep the turret unlocked (@Tyler Kemp looking at you mister 3D printing god) would be awesome to keep the turret unlocked. Other than that I have no other gripes about the scope that gives people Tangent Theta level glass for 1k less.

You lookin' for just a little snap on piece under the turret when lifted up so it can't return to its down position?

As with everywhere, there is a ZCO wait through me. However I've got some real tasty mounts/rings/levels just waiting for your 36mm love that we can sell you at the same time!

Last edited:
You lookin' for just a little snap on piece under the turret when lifted up so it can't return to its down position?

As with everywhere, there is a ZCO wait through me. However, you'll get a nice 36mm level and lever for free! And I've got some real tasty mounts/rings just waiting for your 36mm love.
That’s exactly what I’m looking for sir!!

Reactions: Stoweit

Well said.

Somewhat related, have 2 ZCOs and 2 TTs. If the ZCO could incorporate TT's tool-less rezero? #money.

Reactions: Krob95
I just received my ZCO 527 from MKM. The Audere mounts are robust and seem to be very high quality. I have several SB PM2’s and Spuhr mounts. The ZCO seems to be an upgrade from the SB. The Audere mounts seem to be just as refined, but a better value than the Spuhr. Tyler provided great confidence and knowledge in guiding me through the purchase. Buy with confidence.

I saw one of these things to in person very impressive. I did not know it had a 36mm tube, wondering if that limits you to mounting options .

Mine is similar as stated above, it sometimes seems like it is between locked and not locked. I rarely lock it, so it would be nice if you could leave it so it wouldn’t lock. If desired.

Reactions: sleeplz