• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeiss Comparison

ScottVA

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2012
How would the Zeiss Spotter 60 compare to the Zeiss 85mm spotter? Is the glass the exact same in both models?

All they have in common is the factory name and general quality. If I remember correctly the Zeiss 60mm has laser filters built in which typically degrade the picture quality to some extent giving it a yellowish or bluish tint but saves your eyes from military laser emitters.

The 85 has better optical clarity and picture quality but the 60mm versio is ruggerized for military use and has a reticle. You can not buy a reticle ocular for a 85 spotter. Basically you are comparing a military spotter to a high-end bird spotting scope. You can get better view quality but you will lose in ruggedness and general sniper usability if you choose the 60mm version.

My pick was/is Discope 65 (straight) with the 30X mildot ocular. You can not buy these brand new anymore and I suggest you take a look at the Leupold 16-40X60 spotter with the P4-reticle.

Thank you for the information. This is what I was looking for.

I just picked up a leupy 16x40x69 spotter from Weby shops for under a thousand with a mil dot reticle. The price was so good I called Leupold to verify authenticity, which was confirmed, and the guy I spoke to could not believe I got it for that price (new). I know it''s not what you are asking about, but it was such a good deal I thought you might benefit.

You can get better view quality but you will lose in ruggedness and general sniper usability if you choose the 60mm version?

It's quite opposite as the first half of the post said.

The Hensoldt spotters have good quality glass though, some of the best, and coupled with a mil reticle and rugged construction it's really hard to beat. Just the price that might be hard to swallow.

The Spotter 60 and Spotter 45 use a 72 mm objective though.

Well, I WOULD have bought it, but it's double plus ITAR.
There is an identical one, non ITAR, which is $500 more ;-)

I've look through the Zeiss DiaScope 85 and a Henny spotter 60. Both have amazing glass, best I have looked through period. counting blades of grass or finding 4 leaf clovers at 250 yards no problem. Spotting .17 cal bullet holes near dust @ 400 yards, no problem at all. One of these days Ill pick up a DiaScope 85.

The Leo 16-40X60 spotter was also nice and worked well with the Ashbury tripod. Must better glass on the Zeiss and Spotter 60 tho

Cell phone pic through DiaScope 85. about 250 yards, If i remember correctly it was at 60 power

Last edited:
All they have in common is the factory name and general quality. If I remember correctly the Zeiss 60mm has laser filters built in which typically degrade the picture quality to some extent giving it a yellowish or bluish tint but saves your eyes from military laser emitters.

The 85 has better optical clarity and picture quality but the 60mm versio is ruggerized for military use and has a reticle. You can not buy a reticle ocular for a 85 spotter. Basically you are comparing a military spotter to a high-end bird spotting scope. You can get better view quality but you will lose in ruggedness and general sniper usability if you choose the 60mm version.

My pick was/is Discope 65 (straight) with the 30X mildot ocular. You can not buy these brand new anymore and I suggest you take a look at the Leupold 16-40X60 spotter with the P4-reticle.

There is no laser filter in the spotter 60. It used the same FL T* lenses as the birding equivalent. It has a folded optical design to get a slower optic into a smaller package for increased depth and resolution. It utilizes a 72mm objective lens.

There are a couple birding spotters that beat it by a little by using a bigger objective lens. This is physics and can't be avoided. We're not e Hensoldt guys anymore, but there's still not a better spotter made that has a reticle.

There's always the Vortex Razor HD 85 with their mil ranging reticle.
Call Scott at Liberty Optics, bet he'd cut you a good deal.

Joe