• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss......opinions?

Steelhead

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2003
Idaho
What do you think of Zeiss scopes? Is the "Reticle 43" a true Mil-Dot?
Are the turrets in mils or moa? How much come up do you have?

How would you compare them to Leupold and/or Nightforce?

Thanks!!!

Re: Zeiss......opinions?

Hensoldt which is Zeiss's military side is the finest scope I have ever looked thru, I passed one around at the Cup and everybody who looked thru it had the same reaction, "WoW"!

I had a 4.5-14 Conquest scope. I had the mildot reticle with .25 MOA clicks, it was a second focal plane scope so for correct mildot ranging it had to be set at a little greater than 10 power. If I remember correctly it had about 45 MOA of elevation, which is a little on the low side of things. The glass was great and it tracked fine during my range sessions. In my opinion its a great scope for the money.

I did a test on the conquest scope against others a couple of years ago. Up til the test, I used Luepold scopes and 1 NXS. I do alot of hunting,and like to hunt til it is black. I set up all the scopes during bright light hours,glass looked good in all 3 brands. Leupold and NXS both have 30mm tubes compared to the conquest 1" tubes. Conquest beat out the leupold on making out the deer size target at 100 yds in low light. Leupold loss target at 8:50pm and conquest lost target at 9:05pm. That is 15mins. more on the scope during the hunt,morning and evening. The conquest scope preformed as good in making out the target in low light as the NXS scope,at a third the price. Now not cutting the NXS scope short, it is a great scope. But not every member on here is reading to let that kind of jack$$$$$ go to a scope. For a great scope to hunt with the conquest would be my pick for the money. I'm still a big Leupold fan for target shooting and ringing some steel. But not in the low light hunting area. My 2 cents.

I am waiting on my first premium quality scope and have been wondering, as I await the arrival at Liberty Optics of a Sightron SIII, if I should be considering a Conquest or even a Nikon Tactical X, since I will be hunting primarily, and when target shooting at 100-400 yards, it will be in preparation for hunting. Rifle is a TRG-22.

The 43 reticle is a standard mildot.

Conquest turrets are 1/4. The 4-14x50 has 67-68 of elevation. The 4-14x44 has less.

The Diavari Line 6-24x56 and 72 are both .5cm clicks with 57" of elevation.

Cant compare to Leupy or NF without knowing your application.

The Conquest line is rugged, durable, has very bright and clear glass,
and excellent lowlight-capabilities. I think it's impossible to beat the Zeiss Conquest-line of scopes in their pricerange.

Thanks for all the replies.

I want to use this scope on a .308 for shooting out to 1000 yards.

I have Nightforces on my other rifles and 1 Leupold. I prefer the Leupold, but the Zeiss caught my eye the other day when I visited the local Cabela's store. I didn't get a chance to look through one and they look a bit "weak" compared to my Nightforce's, so I thought I'd ask and see what other's thought about them.

I have a Zeiss conquest 6.5x20x50 on my remington 700 300 win mag. It is the absolute brightest scope i have ever looked through. I have just started shooting longer ranges. I had no problems seeing and hitting clay pegions at 600 yds....am now starting to shoot 36"x36" steel targets at 900-1000 yds...have the scope on a 20 moa base..i love this scope and it is tough as hell...have accidently dropped it off the tailgate and no worse for the wear.

1"...but most companies us 30mm to make up for thier lack of glass quality

I have S&B 5-25PM II and NF 8-32 Benchrest I used both Henslodt Wetzlar 4X24,1.5-6X40 and played a lot with the Zeiss 6-24X72 and feel that it's a good scope but with click value of 0.5cm is on the delicate side and anyway it's too big and bulky for the 0.308 type of shooting maybee one of the new small ones like 3-12,4-16 are very good but I didnt have a chance to really use them so I can't tell.
For tactical shooting with 308 WIN NOTHING (0-1000 meter)I will not replace my Leupold MK IV Mod 3 10-40 it's the best for this kind of shooting if I take into consideration all the necessary qualities like the 1 moa elevation and 0.5 moa windage clicks clarity repeatability and optic clarity. I will keep that scope for ever.

Good Luck

I run a 6.5-20x50 conquest on one rifle and a 3-12x50 Schmidt zenith flash-dot on the other. This time of the year I go foxing about 3 evenings a week. I love the zeiss, great light scope and very good at dusk, plex reticule is also ok at last light.. but I'm sorry it is not quite as good as the schmidt at last light.
edi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a 6.5-20x50 conquest on one rifle and a 3-12x50 Schmidt zenith flash-dot on the other. This time of the year I go foxing about 3 evenings a week. I love the zeiss, great light scope and very good at dusk, plex reticule is also ok at last light.. but I'm sorry it is not quite as good as the schmidt at last light.
edi </div></div>

Sure, but that's like comparing apples and oranges. the 6.5-20 1"tube will never let as much light through as a 3-12 30mm tube.

Now if you had the 3-12x56 Conquest with the 30mm tube, I'm sure you would be very impressed.

For use on a .308, look at the 6.5-20x50 with the Rapid Z 1000. Zeiss has a very good calculator on their site that will enable precision hits at long distances with this reticle.