• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss or Leopold??

dreamdrummr

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Hammond, Louisiana
I purchasd a Remington vpss Tactical in 308 and I opted to have a zeiss conquest 3x9 mounted on it. Its a nice scope but I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I have a VX3 in 6.5x 20 and was wondering if maybe I should have that on the 308 instead of the zeiss..
Does anyone have a similiar setup and if so are you happy? I like both scopes but the zeiss has a heavy retical.
Im just looking to optimize my setup and want everything to be the best it can be.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Jimmy

Re: Zeiss or Leopold??

depends on what you want and what you do with it. What reticle is in your zeiss? the leupy? what knobs on each scope? what will you be doing with the rifle? targets? police work?

The zeiss has far better glass, the leupy probably has better knobs, but you didn't give us enough info to help you much...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">depends on what you want and what you do with it. What reticle is in your zeiss? the leupy? what knobs on each scope? what will you be doing with the rifle? targets? police work?

The zeiss has far better glass, the leupy probably has better knobs, but you didn't give us enough info to help you much... </div></div>
Yes, need more info.

Sorry guys, I shoulda gave more info... The Zeiss is a 3X9X50 Conquest with Rapid Z-600 Reticle.
The Leupold is a VX3 6.5X20X40 AO with fine reticle. I really like both scopes and each one has its good points. Both are very clear to me. Ive never used a "rangefinding" reticle, but like I said, the zeiss seems a little heavy. The Leupold has the fine reticle. Seems like it would be better for smaller targets farther away.
As far as knobs go,the only knobs are the windage and elevation adjustments that are covered by caps.
Are the knobs I see on most of the guns here, is that aftermarket stuff?
Please dont laugh. I've been hunting for over 35 years but up until the last 5 or so years, I didnt have a need for anything else but the 3X9 Redfield thats been on my '06 forever. I want something new to play with. The .308 will be used mostly under 600 yards on whitetails, paper, and the unsuspecting unfortunate coyote.
Thanks
Jimmy

Put the Leupold on it. You'll appreciate the extra magnification out to 600 yds. The Zeiss is a nice scope. I had one mounted on a hunting rifle I used to have.

+1 on what 1911 said

I use a Zeiss Conquest 3-12X56mm with a duplex on my long range rig at the present. The Zeiss is good glass but the reticle get to big on small targets at long ranges. Will be getting a better scope or may I say a better reticle pattern in the future.

Ken