• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeiss S3 6 36 @$1874 or T6xi 5 30 @$1945 ?

Asiparks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2010
Portland, Or
these are new prices, BUT the S3 is MOA- my pref is Mils, but I can make either work.
I've read a ton of threads ie:https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...3-6-36-vs-steiner-t6xi-5-30-opinions.7152089/, but most reference the S3 as being more expensive than the Steiner.
I'd like decent glass, I don't do much low light shooting, so would trade some glass clarity off against overall ease of use, turret quality etc. It'll be going on a 308 bolt shooting out to 600 and I'd like to see holes if feasible.

Thoughts ?

Before anyone says save up and extra $XXX and buy Y, this is me having saved up already....:(

I love my T6xi. The MSR reticle is great for me. YMMV. Check with Doug at Cameralandny.com, or if you're any sort of first responder or military, Expert Voice could save you a few dollars

I have had and used both in mils. I ended up selling the Steiner. It's a good scope but I liked the reticle and knobs better on the S3. I also thought the glass on the S3 edged out the Steiner. Either will pretty much do what you need.

Where are you finding those prices?

I have had and used both in mils. I ended up selling the Steiner. It's a good scope but I liked the reticle and knobs better on the S3. I also thought the glass on the S3 edged out the Steiner. Either will pretty much do what you need.

Where are you finding those prices?
Hi Rob, thank you, I've read a lot of your posts reviewing optics on here...
Those prices are on Dvor right now. There's only a day left on the Zeiss sale....6 on the Steiner.

Are you able to get on Expertvoice? The S3 is a little more but mil is available and the Steiner is less. If not those are good prices and I would get the mil version you want. I don't like the MOA S3 reticle but personal preference. That's the only reason. MOA is fine in itself.

Reactions: Scopeye
Love my Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 ZF-MRi...

IMG_1288.jpeg

Reactions: Stoweit
Hi Rob, thank you, I've read a lot of your posts reviewing optics on here...
Those prices are on Dvor right now. There's only a day left on the Zeiss sale....6 on the Steiner.

Optics Planet usually matches their DVOR prices or sometimes even give you cheaper prices over the phone cheaper than DVOR advertised prices past the sale when you call them and ask to speak to a senior sales advisor. If you get a regular sales person they won't give you a good discount nor close to the best prices and obviously work on commission while the "seniors" probably don't based on how night and day difference in prices they quote. If no senior sales advisor is available when I call I just inquire about certain items get quotes but didn't order anything and just call back when a senior is available for much cheaper prices.

At least take a screenshot of the DVOR sale price before it expires.

Some things can be bought for really cheap it's unbelievable what a phone call to a senior sales advisor can do.

Reactions: Asiparks
these are new prices, BUT the S3 is MOA- my pref is Mils, but I can make either work.
I've read a ton of threads ie:https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...3-6-36-vs-steiner-t6xi-5-30-opinions.7152089/, but most reference the S3 as being more expensive than the Steiner.
I'd like decent glass, I don't do much low light shooting, so would trade some glass clarity off against overall ease of use, turret quality etc. It'll be going on a 308 bolt shooting out to 600 and I'd like to see holes if feasible.

Thoughts ?

Before anyone says save up and extra $XXX and buy Y, this is me having saved up already....:(
Oops forgot to mention Zeiss has a 5 year limited warranty on their electronics illuminated reticle while I believe Steiner has 3 years electronics warranty if warranty actually matters in your decision to buy anything.

Personally I think the black Vortex Razor Gen 3 at EuroOptic is worth the extra $500 just for the hassle free no questions asked lifetime warranty including their electronics and Vortex even pays for your shipping if and whenever you need to use their lifetime warranty with the quickest turnaround time since they don't need to send it international to Germany.

Thanks for all the input.
As much as I'd like the Vortex, especially after reading the L.O. thread, I had a hard $2k limit, so I went with the Steiner and a P mount from EV.
It might not be the perfect, all box ticking scope, but it'll likely be more than enough for me right now.

I’d buy an NX8 over either of those. Steiner has a terrible track record and the Zeiss is MOA and they suck to deal with on warranty issues. If you have EV you can get the NX8 for less $$ than either of those.

Of course you know you'll have to do a full range report when it arrives. To save you from having to learn the way I did, you're supposed to lock the turret, loosen the set screws, adjust the indicator part of the turret, then tighten the set screws (not the screw on top of the turret) to zero it. I hate reading the instructions 😊

Reactions: Asiparks
I’d buy an NX8 over either of those. Steiner has a terrible track record and the Zeiss is MOA and they suck to deal with on warranty issues. If you have EV you can get the NX8 for less $$ than either of those.
You know the Zeiss S3 comes in MILs, too, right? 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

of those 2, the Zeiss

If you're budget is a strict $2000, I'd stretch it another $100 and grab a lightly used Gen 3 razor in the PX. It is superior to both optically and better turrets/feature overall

The Gen 3 slightly beats out the Steiner but does not beat the Zeiss S3 in optical clarity. It’s a push and the two I had next to each other the Zeiss was slightly better so if anything I would call them the same for any comparison.

of those 2, the Zeiss

If you're budget is a strict $2000, I'd stretch it another $100 and grab a lightly used Gen 3 razor in the PX. It is superior to both optically and better turrets/feature overall
yeah, the thing about STRICT budgets though.....I've done the "incrementalism" thing many times and justified my costs creeping way above budget... Trying to be disciplined here.
The Steiner and mount left me enough from my budget to get 150 quality GM rounds or 3-400 milsurp 308s...

Reactions: Rob01
Of course you know you'll have to do a full range report when it arrives. To save you from having to learn the way I did, you're supposed to lock the turret, loosen the set screws, adjust the indicator part of the turret, then tighten the set screws (not the screw on top of the turret) to zero it. I hate reading the instructions 😊
Yup...I read and learned, thank you, form your experiences.... Let y'all know how badly arse over tits it goes....

There's been reports of Zeiss even offering loaners while their customers' optics were being repaired in Germany if this is true then props to them. I don't know how much they charge to repair electronics/ illuminated reticles past their 5 year warranty though.

There's been reports of Zeiss even offering loaners while their customers' optics were being repaired in Germany if this is true then props to them. I don't know how much they charge to repair electronics/ illuminated reticles past their 5 year warranty though.

Cool, there’s also nightmare reports of dealing with them. They didn’t want to warranty a cheap conquest of mine because it was a store display model and had a display sticker on the box when I sent it in when the POS failed. Fuck Zeiss.