• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss Victory 6-24x72

Re: Zeiss Victory 6-24x72

Yeah it is sweet, but you just don't see to many of them.... And they are hard to miss!

Great scope, I love mine! Just not very tactical.... But definitely some of the best glass in the business. Turrets are great, it tracks reliably, and I have every confidence it will be durable given zeiss's reputation although I can't say I've been able to test that personally. I try to take pretty good care of my optics. The new ones come with 1/4 MOA adjustments and their only "tactical" type reticle is a mildot, which isn't ideal. Since I'm just a long distance shooter who isn't on the clock it works fine for me, in fact more than fine since the resolution of this scope is incredible and I can shoot well into the evening with very little light given the lit reticle and 72mm objective. To me, it's a great scope for what it is and I couldn't ask for anything more. Just understand what it is, a big, heavy, but amazing piece of glass. Hope this helps.

I have been considering one of these for my new deer rifle. The big boys come out at last light and this looks like the ticket to close the deal. If anyone in the Houston area has one I would love to look through it.

Thanks guys I would love to see any pics of them mounted on your rifles....I will show you mine if you show me yours.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mine is the Hensoldt version.</span>

fda33cd5.jpg

222fb0ce.jpg

Whew with no room to spare! Is that a 20moa rail? Great looking rig and tanks for the pics, also who made the mount, I was looking at a spuhr but don't know if it is high enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatsie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got one, any opinions good bad or indifferent? </div></div>
As I noted, I have the Hensoldt version (Zeiss's military division). With that distinction noted, I doubt a person could actually see a difference in the quality of the image between the Zeiss 'Sporting' model vs the Zeiss 'military' model. I think of it as the closest thing to true passive night vision available on the planet. I'm not night-vision conversant, but to beat that big Zeiss 72mm Objective (and the Zeiss glass in general) at night, I believe you would have to have some sort of electronically-enhanced image. If there is ANY ambient light, that 72mm objective is gonna suck it in, focus it and deliver it to your retina. Whether it would be enough light for you to identify and engage a target, I believe, would be determined on a case-by-case basis.

The image the scope delivers, frankly, is amazing, and is more than likely wasted on a Philistine like me. But, that's my call...one of the few I actually get to make. So, I'll leave it on my big boomer and continue to enjoy the view.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goatsie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whew with no room to spare! Is that a 20moa rail? Great looking rig and tanks for the pics, also who made the mount, I was looking at a spuhr but don't know if it is high enough. </div></div>
Near Mfg. Just call and talk with Richard. His work could also qualify as art.

Yeah, that's a 20 MOA rail, also made by Near Mfg. His stuff ain't cheap, but it's made to exacting tolerances and it looks good too.

I will hit them up, thanks. Sorry another question for ya, is that sunshade aftermarket, and is that a cover on the end of it, if so who makes it for a 72mm objective?

The sun shade came from Hensoldt. The cap on the end actually fits a large camera lens. I'll pull it out of the safe tomorrow and see if I can identify it. Obviously, Butler Creek doesn't have anything to cover it, though they <span style="font-style: italic">should</span>. I wanted to make sure I sealed that big objective lens from the elements and dust in the house as best I could. I bought three or four of the end caps before I found one that fit.

What is important to know is that you cannot mount the civilian Zeiss on 20 moa mount or rail as the elevation is to little.
While the Hensoldt can be mount 20-30 MOA.

Here is my Hensoldt on my TRG on its 7mils/24 moa direct TRG mount.
386145_10150531987654408_680984407_11683520_211324570_n.jpg

Here is one a Tikka T3 on direct mount.
222195_10150286159344408_680984407_9616985_3623962_n.jpg

I like it a lot, used it before a lot for various hunting on one of my 6,5 caliber rifles. (this was before I manufactured mounts and thus used a Recknagel/apel swingmount at the time.)
img48673652aeebb.jpg

img4867305e25f27.jpg

What gun do you intend to mount it on?
We do likely manufactures mounts that works for your gun as well as we now have exceeded 35! various models of mounts and it increases all the time.

Håkan

Señor Spuhr thanks for the info, I wanna put is on my Gre-Tan custom 6.5-06 it has a seekins 20 moa rail on it now, but just wanna do it once and do it right! Any advice would be much appreciated!

What cap?

The total elevation on 100 meters are 110cm (43")the civilian Zeiss.
That is just below what is needed for a 20 moa rail, it can work out ok, but it might not as well.
So if you want the 6-24x72 and wish to shoot on far distances I would recomend you to go for a Hensoldt (elevation 240 cm/94")

Othervise you will likely not be able to zero at 100 yards.

Håkan

FYI, I have a "civilian" Zeiss 6-24x72 T*FL with .25" locking turrets. I have used it on 2 different 20 moa rails, one Near and one EGW, and I have used it with an Accuracy International 30mm 18 moa mount. I have never had any problems with getting a 100 yard zero.

I also have the same scope but with 56mm objective and have it mounted similarly. They have all been able to zero at 100 yards with MINIMUM 8 moa available to go lower if necessary.

I have used 1.275" 34mm rings on the 20 moa rails. This gives clearance similar to magnumdood's, depending on the barrel contour and pic rail thickness. On a standard 0 moa pic rail I use the Accuracy International 30mm 18 moa mount. This mount is about 1.300 hi.

Also, it should be noted that the turrets are not .25 moa, they are "Inches per hundred yards" or IPHY.

Here is the "civilian" 6-24x72 on a Tikka T3 with 20 moa EGW rail and 1.275 rings
IMG_0700.jpg

Here is the same scope on the same rifle with a 0 moa EGW rail and an Accuracy International 30mm 18 moa mount. The scope easily zero's at 100 yards with either set up.
IMG_0870.jpg

It can work, but as the scope is advertised as 110 cm total elevation, and the normal recomendation is to not have over half elevation in tilt to get the 100 yard zero it is or could be on the limit depending on the the straightness of the gun.
20 moa is 6mil=60 cm
Half of 110 is 55 cm

So it might work, and it might not........

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It can work, but as the scope is advertised as 110 cm total elevation, and the normal recomendation is to not have over half elevation in tilt to get the 100 yard zero it is or could be on the limit depending on the the straightness of the gun.
20 moa is 6mil=60 cm
Half of 110 is 55 cm

Håkan </div></div>

Don't forget mechanical offset which adds just over .5MIL anyway...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It can work, but as the scope is advertised as 110 cm total elevation, and the normal recomendation is to not have over half elevation in tilt to get the 100 yard zero it is or could be on the limit depending on the the straightness of the gun.
20 moa is 6mil=60 cm
Half of 110 is 55 cm

Håkan </div></div>

I have 2 Zeiss Victory Diavari scopes. A 6-24x72 and a 6-24x56. They are virtually the same scope except for the objective diameter. The 56 mm is advertised with a few more moa of windage but both have he same elevation. I just went and tested both scopes. With windage close to center both scopes have exactly 59 IPHY of elevation. Remeber these are not true moa. They are 5% less than moa. So 59-5% is about 56 true moa of elevation.

Do yourself a favor and never believe posted data on the internet. Zeiss does advertise 110cm elevation. They also gave me a supplemental manual wit each scope to cover the "Shooter ASV" turrets. The manual actually recommends a base with "25 angular minutes" of elevation to utilize the whole elevation range.

Bottom line, a 20 moa base will be perfect if you are getting the .25" ASV turrets, which are all that are available on new production scopes in the USA.

If you buy an old scope with cm clicks (non ASV) then you might not have enough room to use a 20 moa base.