• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zermatt Arms New "Origin" Bolt Action Receiver

Zermatt Arms

Machining Accuracy
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2017
Bennet, NE
www.bighornarms.com
Sorry for the delay to the Forum,

NEW PRODUCT ALERT - $750 Promotional Price through January 31, 2018
Zermatt Arms, Inc., manufacturers of Bighorn Arms actions, is proud to announce The ORIGIN action. Not just another “me too” action, the ORIGIN is a value priced, full feature custom action held to the same levels of quality and precision you’ve come to know from ZAI’s Bighorn actions. The ORIGIN takes features from multiple platforms and incorporates them into a single do-it-all type product that anyone can enjoy.
The ORIGIN action by ZAI will include some major features from ZAI’s Bighorn line of actions such as:
- pinned rail
- fluted bolt body
- floating and interchangeable bolt head (interchangeable between ORIGIN and Bighorn as well)
- controlled round feed
- fully enclosed mechanical ejector
- Remington style feed lips
New features for the ORIGIN are:
- pinned recoil lug
- swept bolt handle
- DLC coated bolt heads
- Melonite treated receiver and bolt body
Standard compatibility options include but are not limited to:
- Savage small shank pre-fit barrels
- Remington Model 700 inlet stocks and chassis
- Remington Model 700 aftermarket triggers
- Hinged floor plate internal box magazines
- AICS style detached box magazines (not AW)
- All of Bighorn Arms bolt knobs (5 options)
ZAI is offering all orders placed between now and January 31, 2018 a promotional price of $750 with a $100 deposit. Full pricing will go in to effect on February 1, 2018 at $825 with the same $100 deposit. Full release of the ORIGIN is planned for Summer 2018. Taking orders now.

Reactions: 5RWill
Ordered mine yesterday. Wasn't planning a second build yet but what the hell.

I'm thinking I'm going to jump on this. Just too good to pass up and I'd be considering a Bighorn for awhile.

I ordered 2 for my son and I. Thank you for this.
QUESTIONS: Does the ORIGIN come with Trigger pins? Any introductory pricing for extra caliber bolt heads?
I want to get as many parts in hand so I can build these when they are ready

Got my order in, this is looks to be an awesome action. I want to do a switch barrel, I wonder if the ARC barloc for shouldered barrels will work with this.

Got my order in, this is looks to be an awesome action. I want to do a switch barrel, I wonder if the ARC barloc for shouldered barrels will work with this.
It can be made to work. We have already figured it out at Patriot Valley Arms and we will be stocking BarLoc systems for other actions.

Is the rail a 0 cant or a 20 moa base? If not will it accept a 20moa base?
Also will the other $650 be charged to the customer when the action is shipped?

Thank you

Got my order in as well. Wasn’t planning on another build but at that price I couldn’t pass it up. Already have an SR3 and LOVE it.

The rail is pinned in place and screwed down.
The bolt handle is integrally machined from a solid piece of bar stock and the angled bolt knob stub is cut directly from the bar stock.

20moa only on the origin. When I called them they said the remaining 650 will be charged just before shipment. He also said guaranteed shipment by August 15th. But that he is trying to under promise and over deliver and it COULD be sooner

Got one on order for my brothers build. Really excited about it. Hopefully it ships mid summer! I need to look into the barloc system if it makes changing barrels that much easier.

It can be made to work. We have already figured it out at Patriot Valley Arms and we will be stocking BarLoc systems for other actions.
Excellent, I was planning on getting my barrel from PVA anyways so that will work great! Now time to be patient and get all my other parts ordered so I will be ready when 8/15 hits.

Last edited:
Got one on order for my brothers build. Really excited about it. Hopefully it ships mid summer! I need to look into the barloc system if it makes changing barrels that much easier.

My ship date is aug 15th, but we can always hope for sooner

Attachments

• 62A3B206-1344-4EB5-A909-43397DEB8B53.png
    62A3B206-1344-4EB5-A909-43397DEB8B53.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 240
Yeah when I talked to them on the phone he said guaranteed August 15th. That’s what my invoice says too.. I hope it’s sooner. Anyone have some videos from shot show? I saw one but it didn’t show up close or anything..
My ship date is aug 15th, but we can always hope for sooner

Reactions: nrspence
I have been looking at a TL3 action for a new rifle this year. Still not knowing all the minute differences in these why would I want an Origin over a TL3? What's the selling point, cost?

I have been looking at a TL3 action for a new rifle this year. Still not knowing all the minute differences in these why would I want an Origin over a TL3? What's the selling point, cost?
The selling point is cost. The differences in cost are because it’s chormolly vs stainless. And a pinned lug vs one piece machined on lug. I was told by bighorn arms that they went from a 55$ block of material to a 7$ block. Not sure if that’s the whole block for the action and lug or what exactly that means.. . But also they said they can make a pinned lug 10 times faster than machining one on to an action .. Also the TL3 is customizable. The origin comes in the standard tl3 config and you can’t change it besides bolt heads. Other than that you don’t lose ANY features. That’s just my understanding of them both !

Reactions: demolitionman
The selling point is cost. The differences in cost are because it’s chormolly vs stainless. And a pinned lug vs one piece machined on lug. I was told by bighorn arms that they went from a 55$ block of material to a 7$ block. Not sure if that’s the whole block for the action and lug or what exactly that means.. . But also they said they can make a pinned lug 10 times faster than machining one on to an action .. Also the TL3 is customizable. The origin comes in the standard tl3 config and you can’t change it besides bolt heads. Other than that you don’t lose ANY features. That’s just my understanding of them both !

Thank you. That helps. The TL3 is still my front runner.

The raw material cost is only a fraction of the difference in price for the recoil lug. With the pinned lug, they can start with round barstock and the exterior dimensions are pretty much set. With the integral lug, they have to use a block of billet and machine it down. I'd imagine that's where most of the cost savings comes from.

As a TL3 owner, I think the origin is much better value.

Reactions: Dirtbiker250
Here's the best way I've found to put the differences into perspective.

The TL3 offers a list of different options:

-Stainless steel receiver
-Integrated recoil lug
-Option for DLC coating
-Long actions available
-AW and AI pattern magazine well (as well as single shot)
-Options for right bolt left port or left bolt right port
-3 different tang thicknesses
-3 options for rail incline

That's the main idea of TL3 options that the Origin doesn't offer.

Core features in the bolt (CRF, mechanical ejection, floating and interchangeable bolt head, etc) are the same between the two, the receiver itself will just be standard on the Origin (right or left with no options).

TL3's are available within 8-10 weeks right now where the Origin isn't available until this summer.

The lower price is achievable for numerous different reasons but a decrease in attention to detail is DEFINITELY NOT one of them. The Origin actions are going to be treated with the same levels of quality control that the TL and SR series actions have been, HIGH.

Hopefully this helps everyone become slightly more familiar with the two actions and eases your choice between the Bighorn actions and the Origin.

- Ray

Thank you Ray! I like a lot of others on here are getting all of our parts ordered awaiting the Origin. It's great to hear that you all are giving these the same attention detail as your other products.

While I have a couple of TL-2s and TL-3s, I did not hesitate to “buy it now” when the Origins were offered. The performance and cost of the Origin outweighed whether the action body is stainless or carbon steel or the options are limited. Being offered at a price point well below a “custom” action kinda made it a no-brainer for wanting an action to build a cost friendly rifle. I too would like to see a long action offered in the future.

Origin is, as the name suggests, just the beginning of a new world of custom actions. As we plan to continue the Bighorn line of actions at ZAI, new products will also emerge from Origin. Long actions have never been out of the realm of possibility for this project, it's just not an available option today.

Another thought on this. Will it have a "small" firing pin to be optimized with srp creed or x47 lapua brass?

Getting a barrel spinner up for the Origin right now. Going with a 22br to start with. Can’t wait to try it out.

I just picked up one from Patriot valley arms in 6creedmoor for a new set up for next seasons matches.

When will the barloc for other actions be up on your website?
The barrels should be listed with a checkbox right now that say "Cut for BarLoc"
I don't think we have the BL hardware itself listed on the website just due to our busy pace in the machine shop, Jeremy nor I have had a chance to take pics and list it. We do have them on hand though.

I have one and really like it. With a BnA trigger I had some cock on close so they sent me a cocking piece to correct it for free. After installing a low sear in the BnA my Origin is about as perfect as I could imagine. The action is great but more importantly their CS is among the best in the business.

I was wondering what the dimensions of the radius cut at the leading edge of the the feed ramp was?
I cannot answer your question but I will say that my Origin, short action 308 BF, feeds 6BR perfectly. No hang ups or anything. That is in either a Magpul Pro or a KRG Bravo stock using ARC magazines. If they will feed the short BR rounds I cannot see it having issues feeding anything else.

Reactions: donkiekong
I have one and really like it. With a BnA trigger I had some cock on close so they sent me a cocking piece to correct it for free. After installing a low sear in the BnA my Origin is about as perfect as I could imagine. The action is great but more importantly their CS is among the best in the business.

I cannot answer your question but I will say that my Origin, short action 308 BF, feeds 6BR perfectly. No hang ups or anything. That is in either a Magpul Pro or a KRG Bravo stock using ARC magazines. If they will feed the short BR rounds I cannot see it having issues feeding anything else.
I have tried running 6.5prc in a greyboe stock, mpa chassis, and a mdt chassis and the rounds always get caught on leading edge of feed ramp when coming up from magazine. Using 300wsm magazines and even a 308 without binder plate, I have adjusted feed lips and tried several different magazines. Love the action just trying to keep from wasting this barrel and having another 308 or 6.5cm

I have tried running 6.5prc in a greyboe stock, mpa chassis, and a mdt chassis and the rounds always get caught on leading edge of feed ramp when coming up from magazine. Using 300wsm magazines and even a 308 without binder plate, I have adjusted feed lips and tried several different magazines. Love the action just trying to keep from wasting this barrel and having another 308 or 6.5cm
25 PRC feeds great in my origin. Alpha WSM mag, KRG bravo and whisky chassis.