• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Zero Lathe experience. Is it possible?

MDM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Ohio
Let me start by saying I have no machine experience. I have toyed with the idea of getting a hobby lathe for the past year and a half. I'd like to be able to chamber and thread a blank, intall a brake for my self and a few friends if I got comfortable. I'm not looking to go commercial or anything, just tinker.

I guess my question would be, Is it possible for someone with no experience to learn to do these things? I'd like to think I am a fairly smart guy. I'm more or less a carpenter that taught himself to use several computer programs over the years and now I make a living off of that.

I have found several lathes on craiglist within my state, but I would not know the first thing to look for, nor do I have any machinist friends that could look at something with me, so I would probably be in the market for something new. I've been looking at the PM 1236 and the Grizzly 4003g.

Anyone else out there that started from scatch with no experience? This is just something that I've always wanted to tinker with. I think I have a good grasp on the monetary commitment, I'm just a little apprehensive because I don't have and experience. Thanks.

Re: Zero Lathe experience. Is it possible?

We all started with no experience. Your worst enemy is learning bad habits early. There is a lot of cash spent on indicating equipment alone, and tooling is a never ending expense.....but if you want something.....go for it.

There is a old smith that sells vids cheap. I forget his name or site....but Richards custom guns rings a bell. Look it up and order a vid str has some good ones too....free on YouTube.

Don't just focus on guns, general machine work is good for fundamentals.

Go for it mate, up until 2years ago I'd never even set my hands on a Lathe but I decided to jump in and have a go, I ended up with a Sieg C3 mini lathe and an X2 mini mill which were great for learning the basics and teaching a bit of patience (very important)
I recently upgraded both machines (Hafco AL330A, very similar to what your looking at)and haven't looked back.

If you have an intrest/passion for it and you can afford it then why not, the interweb is such a blessing when it comes to machining too, there is always someone willing to help out a novice who is keen to learn.

Good luck

I had zero experience,I never had any formal training. I have been lucky enough to have benefited from the knowledge and patience of some very talented people. Had some buds that were tool makers and one gentleman that built rifles they were nice enough to let me hang around and watch them work and answer alot of questions. As mentioned above the learning curve might be expensive and if your not careful these machines can wind you up and spit you out before you know it. It is very gratifying to build an accurate rifle. What part of the buckeye state are you from

Just south of Cambridge. I'm still mulling it over. I wouldn't even be considering it if it was for the local gas and oil boom. I thought I might splurge on myself for once.

Absolutely it is. Rifle work isnt rocket science. Solid machine shop practice will yield excellent results. There are a ton of online references and posts on this site to help exponetionally. FWIW, the fellow that has helped me a bunch is a machinist by trade with 10+ yrs of experience with both manual and CNC machines, and he basically equates rifle work to a little above basic machine work.

I am a carpenter by trade also. Love guns and shooting and wanted to build my own rifles also. I bought the same Grizzly machine you are talking about and in just a year and a lot of chips, I have made dozens of muzzle breaks for myself and friends, and I have built quite a few custom rifles and am presently giving thought to building some for hire. I had absolutely no machining experience prior to a year ago. Like they say ,it isn't rocket science, but you have to learn you are dealing with thousandths of an inch and not thirty seconds. Lots to learn from videos and you tube. Go for it!

I have been considering this for a while and after talking to a friend that is a pistol smith, he says that I will catch on fairly quick. It's just a matter of having him help me find a used machine since he knows what to look for.

Did you go to the Umberger (Sportsman Haven) sale Saturday at Old Washington? They had 3 lathes, one was a Cut Master Mod. YCL-1236 6H Chinese model that looked pretty good. Also sold two Atlas, the really small one went for $500.00 but wasn't paying attention to what the bigger one went for. It went for more than I wanted to pay but someone got a decent machine. I think the bigger one went for $1600 or so.

Most things did go pretty high, like you mentioned the gas and oil checks must of come in the mail for a lot of guys around the area.

Maybe see ya at Rayners this summer?

Topstrap

Topstrap - Yes, I had my eyes on the bigger lathe at Sportsmans Haven. I've got a newborn and wasn't able to make it to the auction, but had a guy there watching it. I figured if it went for more than $1500, I would just be better off to get a new one, since I didn't know what I would be getting into. He said he thought it went for closer to $2000. He also said all of the tools went really high. Maybe see you at Rayners, but I have to get back to TVP first.

A friend (and fellow gun nut) and I taught ourselves to build guns and muzzle brakes about 20 years ago. Many of you know Ross aka RWS as he sells brakes on here. We both had next to no knowledge of lathes or mills. I bought a lathe and he bought a drill mill. We screwed up a bunch of stuff learning, even custom barrels, but I figured with the money we saved paying someone we could afford a few screw ups. There is no reward like building your first sub 1/2" gun and then first sub 1/4" gun. He and I use to order about 30 barrels a year from Hart but now I'm probably under 10/year. When you've built about every caliber that interest you it's harder to justify building so many per year, for me anyway.

Yes it is certainly posible. I bought a 4003g in about 2007 for the exact came reasons as you and I had never even seen a metalworking lathe in person let alone used one. I learned by watching videos on youtube and just different forums. I bought a couple books and just went at it. i worked on scrap at first. The first gun related project I did was a upper for a ruger mkII with a 10" barrel. I then chambered and fitted a barrel on a old Mauser action. I then did a 338 Edge on a remington 700 action build. As said above the machine operations are pretty much the basic ones used, there not too much to it. A couple years after the lathe I got a used Bridgeport mill as well and i dont think I would want to do much rifle work without either. If you got the desire and the cash...I say go for it. Ive had a ton of fun with mine.

Hi Nike L

I too would like began to do my own work, as I really like these things, but not sure about the right lathe, who need be not so expensive but who allow me a very good job on rifles.
Will the G4003G lathe from grizzly be a good entry level tool for my project?
Excuse bad english, outside USA guy

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> str has some good ones too....free on YouTube.
</div></div>
+1 he has some great video's... my good buddy just purchased a
HARDINGE Model:HLV-H with a sony digital readout... cant wait to start turning some barrels!!!

I am 100 percent self taught. Albiet not on a lathe YET. Here is the best advice i can give you in no certain order but all equally important.

BUY THE MACHINERY. If you dont have it, you can never learn it.
EXPECT TO SPEND ALOT ON TOOLING even basic machining requires a large investment in tooling
SPEND TIME REASEARCHING AND LEARNING the information is free on the internet you just have to sort through it
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE you will find that the more you do, the more confidant you will be

It takes time and effort, but is a very rewarding hobby. what i have learned from the little i have taught myself has made me a better person in life in general. If you can afford it, even if its over a period of time, its worth the endevour.

35k0com.jpg

Found this looking up Shop Fox lathes on the Hide custom search...........

Be careful.... it's not just the guns we are working on that are dangerous!

that is a horrible way to go out. I had a freind whose coworker lost an arm due to a welding glove in a drillpress. I personally popped a ligament in my shoulder over a stupid holesaw in a 1/2" drill.

think ahead, complacency kills.

The basic operation of a lathe is fairly simple and straightforward to learn. Go to local community college or vocational school if you can to take a few classes, worst case scenario read your owners manual and cut cheap mild steel until you get the hang of it. The tooling costs will add up quickly, but you can purchase as you need them. watch some gunsmith videos and give it a go.

About the picture I have been machining for about 24 years and have seen lots of fingers lost 1 at the wrist and in almost all the instances it has been someone with alot of experience that does it. Fear usually keeps the new guys safe makes them respect the machine alot more. loose fitting clothing did that guy in

I think a drill press and table saw are much more dangerous than a lathe or mill. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

two basic rules of machines. #1. rule of tens. you arrive with ten, try to leave with ten. #2. never put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your face.

Is it possible to start from zero and chamber barrels- Yes, 10 years ago i was content to leave my NRA Smallbore and highpower rifles to the "professionals". A string of broken promises from a prominent "boutique" barrel maker left me with out the rifle I wanted to compete with for over a year and a half. I said never again and started buying machinery, 1 have bought 5 lathes (upgraded 3 times, still have 2) along with three mills-1 cnc, a surface grinder, saws....It is addictive you will find yourself debating if you need components for reloading or tooling. You will not understand How much tooling it takes to do what you want till you try to do it plan on spending at least 4-5 times what you anticipate or twice the machine cost to have a realistic budget. There are a lot of places to learn on the web but do not get caught up in only one way to do it syndrome, many ways to skin a cat machining, follow common shop safety procedures (find out what they are) and enjoy. Look at my home made billet post in the semi-auto section if you want to see what is possible...