• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Zero off

pcplodd

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2011
I took my barreled action of my aics stock, which was bedded in including the lug. Got it back together and now the zero is all over the target. Suggestions?

Both sitting at 65"lbs. I have freaking viper skins on my aics. Pain in the ass to work on as you have to take them off to access the screws. No idea why this thin was locked in to a drop in chassis with bedding compound in the first place. Made by Mike Bush a few years ago.

Any other suggestions on a chassis that would be better suited for competition/cleaning than this AICS tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not sure what that torque was since I did not build the rifle and the person that did is out of business.

Why did you take it out? Did you take the scope and rings off? If so did you torque everything back down? Same ammo as before? Did it group before you took it apart? Did you ding the muzzle? Add anything to the action or barrel? New scope? What scope?

When you say "all over the place" did the point of impact shift and the rifle is now grouping in a differant location than before or is it not grouping and the rounds are all over?

Give us much more information. There are 100 things that could be your problem, and You haven't clearly explained your problem.

Ok, I shot in a competition for two days in the worst dust storm I have seen in a while. Had to pull action to get the trigger out because it was fubar.

No grouping now. Scope is good to go. Ie. all screws at proper torque.

I think it is just not fitting well because I had to break the lug free of its bedding an the fact I have no clue what I am doing.

All other factors identical.

Are you saying the action and stock were fused together with the bedding material??

If so, I don't think that is the correct way to bed a rifle and would think that may be your issue. When playing with bedding, I understood that you coat the action in a thin layer of petroleum to keep any of the bedding material from getting on the action or barrel. Though not ai chassis, All of Mine come apart freely.

That's what I thought too, but this yahoo basically cemented the lug unto the chassis with bedding compound.
I think my plan is to start over and just send the damn thing to a good gunsmith GAP etc. it's above my skill level now.

Take it out of the chassis and make sure something didn't fall between the action and the bedding (grit, dirt, etc) which could be inhibiting the action of seating into the stock. Also, did you point the muzzle up as you were tightening the action screws to insure the lug was against the bedding/chassis?

"All over target" to mean very poor groups, versus a zero shift.

Wouldn't the two bolts, torqued to 65"pounds pull the action into place no matter what angle you screw it in?

Zero off

Plus, I can say that there is so much bedding compound around the lug inlet that it could be that. I think this chassis was boned up by bedding in the lug. Plus me pulling it out. No pun.

I'm not sure how that could happen due to all the bedding, but I will check.

Do you have a muzzle break/compensator on your barrel? Looking at your rifle with your eye down the muzzle does your barrel look center in yoru stock? Is the barrel touching or within paper thickness away from touching anything? When you cleaned your rifle did you clean the chanber and bore as well, if yes then what solvent did you use and tools? Is it possible that you switched your actions screw, kind of going along with DAVETOOLEY's therory. If the bedding chipped or cracked any where it may be protuding causing an issue. Also, debris may have gotten in between the stock and action. Let me know what you come up with and please provide the details I am questioning about to better help you troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks so much. I will check all those things after work today and get back with you.

How about take it apart and take some pictures of the bedding and chassis and post them? A picture is worth 1000 words

I checked the screws. They are both the same size and front screw is not touching bolt and would not be long enough to anyway.

Canuckr- I am trying not to have to jack this rifle/chassis more than I already have. Taking the action from the chassis would require I pry it out yet again since the recoil lug was concreted it so well and there is still bedding in the channel causing it to be very tight. My guess is that this is where the problem may lie. I took a considerable amount of bedding from the sides of the recoil lug and polished (unintentionally) the sides of the lug a bit with my dremel while removing the bedding.

I may be sending the whole thing to GAP to get it un f'd since I am not handy in this area. I would imagine the bedding needs to be removed and start over. I may just get a different stock/chassis. Any recommendations on that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

djp

Shipped it off to GAP today. I'll post the diagnosis for anyone interested. Thanks again.