• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zero shifting. HELP!

Mtf5104

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2018
My zero keeps shifting with an occasional flyer. I’ll post pics. My point of aim was the top of the triangle. My first group was about 2 inches high and after making my correction (2.0 MOA) my second group was 1/4 inch right but otherwise pretty on. I waited about 10 mins and shot my third group which had 2 rounds that were 2 inches low with a flyer. I made my correction (2.0 MOA) and shot a forth group which was pretty dead on. My fifth again was about 2 inches high with a flyer again. I haven’t gotten a chance to torque down my scope but does anyone else think this could be any other problem then my scope? I’m pretty new to precision rifle shooting so I’ve never had this happen to me before.

Attachments

• CEDC0012-1EE3-4F5D-A9CD-E1090BD44F05.jpeg
    CEDC0012-1EE3-4F5D-A9CD-E1090BD44F05.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 4A6B678A-8110-4E6E-A271-1209BBBF8F85.jpeg
    4A6B678A-8110-4E6E-A271-1209BBBF8F85.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DB001F74-E4AB-43FD-A7CB-B1DD74D7B65E.jpeg
    DB001F74-E4AB-43FD-A7CB-B1DD74D7B65E.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 87
Before you do anything check your scope mount. Make sure all the screws and whatnot are tightened down correctly. That means on the scope and how it attaches to the rifle.

"I haven’t gotten a chance to torque down my scope..."

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by that, but it might be your culprit.

If not, what rifle, scope, and ammo are you shooting?

Hold gun tight against shoulder.
I had this problem 1 time. Some one on here told me that, and that's what it was. Also have same sight, cheek position every time.

Check the consistency of your eye position. Assuming everything else With the screws is gtg as everyone above mentioned then it’s pointing to being you.

Reactions: smoothy8500
Hold gun tight against shoulder.
I had this problem 1 time. Some one on here told me that, and that's what it was. Also have same sight, cheek position every time.
Same for me. Put it in the same spot, and tight.

you breaking position between shots/groups? square behind the rifle? rear bag/rest doing funny things? sight picture clear or are you seeing shadows? shit scope? what's your equipment? more info needed. triangle is actually a diamond.

You've got the list now ...
  1. Scope rings
  2. Scope mount
  3. Action/Chassis screws
  4. Suppressor/Brake loose
  5. Parallax / Eye Box
  6. Cheek weld / Shoulder weld / Position
  7. Trigger control
It's definitely gonna be one of those. Bad ammo is usually "last" on the list.

Parallax being off with an inconsistent cheek weld will definitely fuck with your head.

Honest question: How much do you think you are flinching at the pull?

Reactions: Concrete shooter
Honest question: How much do you think you are flinching at the pull?
Check for flinch by loading a snap cap or dummy round at random in with some live rounds. If your point of aim ends up way off when the rifle goes click, that's your problem. If so, you may want to do a bunch more dryfire.