• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft Zero0311 Ghillie

Aaron Snyder

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Southern, CA
Just thought I'd share some pics of some of my work, and offer any advice or services to anyone interested. I am not a school trained sniper, but I have a few friends that are. I was an 0311 with 1/5, and have always enjoyed making ghillies and had an interest in long range shooting. I also used ghillies for conducting surveillance in rural areas for insurance fraud. I now do executive protection, but still enjoy building ghillies.

frontbz.jpg

rural3.jpg

rural2.jpg

rural1.jpg

snipercrawl.jpg

img0321r.jpg

img0323k.jpg

img0324zl.jpg

img0325y.jpg

img0326m.jpg

Re: Zero0311 Ghillie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you asking for one? That is if you are selling them of course. </div></div>

I make them for cost of materials, plus $100 bucks. (not including adding the burlap) Adding the jute and burlap is what takes a while. I'll do it, and "weather" the suit to give it a more natural look for another $100.

I get all my ghillie making materials from Mike at Tacticalconcealment and use a sewing machine and/or shoegoo. I can also move pockets around, add thumb loops, and foot stirrups etc.

If anyone is interested PM me. I also can make "viperhoods" and equipment drapes/capes, rifle covers, dragbags, you name it.

Materials cost $265 without cammies, about $350 with cammies and boonie (brand new)

Or you can buy the ghillie kit and have some left over supplies for adding/repairing. All left over materials purchased and not used will be sent with the completed suit.

$100 for the base

$100 for garnishing and weathering.

Full suit complete $550

Full suit base only $450

Viper hood complete $300

Keep in mind that these are handmade and I put my heart into these things. They'll hold up through normal use and abuse and I'll do repairs for free if you send me the damaged suit.

just a suggestion, you are using way too much burlap. the purpose of the burlap is just to break out the 5vs on a human body which create your outline, as well as to tie in vegetation. your camouflage does not come from the burlap, it should come from the vegetation you tie in. although it looks effective for the terrain you are in, if you were to take that same ghillie and put it in a different environment, the excess burlap would just serve as a target indicator for a trained observer. i am not trying to criticize you, just wanted to give you some suggestions in order to help you out.

I use about as much as a school trained sniper suggested. Rule is about 30% burlap, 70% natural veg, but different AO's require different amounts. Do you have any pics of your suit "naked" and vegged up for reference? One good thing about using a little more burlap, is that it cuts the vegging up time down significantly.

Hey man,

I will try to put a pick up of mine sometime soon. Still think you got too much burlap. When you see mine you'll probably think it has way too little, but it is what has worked for me on many occasions. When I made mine for school I had about as much burlap as yours, but after doing a few stalks I cut down big time. Another thing to think about is how much that is going to catch on branches and shit when moving through the woods. Again, I would say this probably is situation dependent, but I know it would be pretty much impossible to move through the woods of eastern NC with that much Veg.

I will say this, I like how you used longer pieces of burlap. Some guys cut their burlap strips too short which makes it really difficult to tie in veg. This was a mistake I made and learned from. Longer, thinner strands seem to work the best. I usually run about 5 individual strings together, with enough length to make tying in vegetation easier. Make sense? Not sure if you did that intentionally, but it is definitely the best way to go.

Another thing you might want to do is tie in strands of 550 cord. They will not knot up on you, and I find it very easy to tie in vegetation with the 550 cord. Just trying to give you some suggestions. Thats badass that you are selling those for that much money though man, good on you!

Yeah, I use the 550 cord veg ties. I posted some pics in the "Adding Veg" thread. Another thing is that I really don't use that much burlap. One of the reasons my suits look thick is cause I use a dog brush on the burlap which takes a lot of the fibers out of the strands but make it look more "poofy". To flaten it back down, I dunk the suit in water. Muddy water is best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zero0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you asking for one? That is if you are selling them of course. </div></div>

I make them for cost of materials, plus $100 bucks. (not including adding the burlap) Adding the jute and burlap is what takes a while. I'll do it, and "weather" the suit to give it a more natural look for another $100.

I get all my ghillie making materials from Mike at Tacticalconcealment and use a sewing machine and/or shoegoo. I can also move pockets around, add thumb loops, and foot stirrups etc.

If anyone is interested PM me. I also can make "viperhoods" and equipment drapes/capes, rifle covers, dragbags, you name it. </div></div>

Glad to see a fellow 1/5.What years were you with them?......I was 1/5 86-94.

What I want to know is how the hell you get into the insurance surveillance and executive protection? Im tired of being an account manager.

I was with 1/5 from November 04, to May 06.

I live near Los Angeles. Lots of work here. Living near Beverly Hills helps in the EP industry.
wink.gif
90% of the firm I work for is prior military, the majority being Marines.