• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

zeroing at distance?

ghorsley

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
Georgia
I am trying to shoot more at 600. On a good weather day I can pick up holes with "shoot and see" targets at 400. My question is; should I get my zero as far out as I can see and then use my come ups assuming that I will be on at 600? Also, it seems to be accepted as fact that no spotting scope can see holes at 600....correct or not? (not talking about one that costs 5K either)
Thanks

Re: zeroing at distance?

Get yourself some 18" Shoot-N-C round targets. Use an extra fat black Sharpie to color in all the circles and numbers, leaving only the black background and red bullseye. This way, every hole is bright yellow and easy to spot. If you don't darken out the lines and numbers, holes can be much more difficult to distinguish.

I do this routinely and can easily see .308 holes at 600 yd with spotting scopes ranging from $200-$300 up to my current Vortex Razor. In fact, if the mirage isn't too bad, I can usually see the holes pretty easily through a 5.5-22x50 scope mounted on the rifle. Sometimes even a 3.5-15x50. With the large blacked-out splatter targets, it's not as difficult as you might think

Below is an example of one of these modified practice target shot I at 600 yd with a recently acquired GAP Hospitaller. I colored the inner 4.5" diameter ring with a red Sharpie on this one, but usually do it all black. The holes are relatively easy to spot unless the mirage is extremely bad. These can usually be re-used at least a couple or three times with the black/red repair pasties, so the cost is not so high.

HospitallerA10-3-11600.jpg

If your range allows is, get a steel target and a couple cans of white spray paint. You'll see your impacts.

Thanks. This will work.....great idea, plus I already have everything I need.