• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes zeroing problems

Sackett

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2011
Utah
I took my brand new 700 sps long range 300wm out for the first time yesterday. It has a vortex hs lr scope model 4307, 20 moa base, medium rings. I was zeroing at 200 yds. I then went to 315 yds which i only turned elevation 4 clicks (.5 moa per click) it took a few shots to get on target which was extremely frustrating. After hitting 315 i went back to zero on the scope and back to the original 200 yards and the shots were 5-6" low and 3-4" right. Repeated the zero process then to 315 and back and same issue.
With my old sps 308 and millett scope i could go from 100 straight to 800 and back being in target first shot and perfect zero.
Anyone know what the issue could be? I was careful to not overtighten the base or rings. I leveled the rifle then mounted the scope and leveled that.

Also, with the vortex i had to come up 2 complete turns before it would be close to zero? Is that normal?? I sold my other rifle and scope quite a while ago but i cannot remeber the millett have to turn that much to just get on the paper.

Check the tracking. If it is not tracking correctly, call Vortex. They will take care of you.

Was the reticle level WHEN YOU SHOT?

Thank you. I will double check it like the video states. When i was shooting, the rifle was as level as it could be.

Check the screws on your scope base and rings. I bet you find something loose. Re-torque all the screws and apply some blue loctite. If that doesn't solve it then the scope is likely trashed.

Turret screws are tight.

I'll double check the torque on the base and rings. I did already but couldn't hurt to try again.