• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Zeroing Question

powereng

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
West Michigan
I know this has probably been asked a million times, so forgive me. I finally got my N6 all put together and I'm off to the range tomorrow to zero my Vortex PST 4-16x50 scope. If I'm going to be zeroing in at 100yds, does it matter which magnification I have the scope set at. I've always heard use the highest magnification, but 16 power seems a little extreme at 100yds. Thanks in advance.

Re: Zeroing Question

Shouldn't matter. It's a quality scope and zero shouldn't shift with magnification. If it does, send it back and they'll fix it.

I am "no" expert, but I always boresight mine, then start at 25 yards on the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">lowest</span></span> magnification.

I then move it on out to 100 yards, or whatever distance I plan to set my zero at.

Depending upon conditions using a high magnification can distort the target. Use enough mag to aim small, but not overkill. People often over mag and it can show in the results.

Use all the magnification you have, provided there's no mirage and you can see the aiming point clearly. I often shoot my 22x at 18x for 300m, but 16x should be fine at 100m.

What is an N6?
Use what ever power as long as you can see the hits, changing the power up or dowm will not change POI (point of aim), if it does
there is something wrong with the scope. If you change the ocular adj. after zeroed POI will change some times.

N6 = Noveske 308 rifle.

I already bore sighted the rifle, so I should be close. Thanks for the replys

I think you are confusing zero or POA with range finding. Set your parallax and
zero at any power you are comfortable with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is an N6?
Use what ever power as long as you can see the hits, changing the power up or dowm will not change POI (point of aim), if it does
there is something wrong with the scope. If you change the ocular adj. after zeroed POI will change some times. </div></div>
+1

It is just me, I always Zero my rifles at 27 or 33 yrds first then move out to the long range for true zero. POA/POI should not be effected by power setting.

I simply yank the bolt, peer down bore, sight on corner, adjust turrets to same location...then let 'em rip at 100. Always on paper, and zero in 10 or less. But whatever works for you, go for it.

For what its worth I always start at 50 yards and then move to 100. Really does not matter at what magnification your at as long as your paralax is set right. Again just my two cents on this.