• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Mighty Armory 223 FL vs FLHS

banditti

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2011
On the newer side of reloading for sure. I am trying to get setup on my XL750 for 5.56.
Looking to get the Mighty Armory sizing/decapping die. There is the FL and the FLHS. Thoughts on which one I'd need and why?

Thanks!

I use the FLHS on my 550. It will allow you to get at least .005 shoulder bump I prefer for gas guns. Look up lanolin case lube recipe and I use a creedmoor sports lube rack for best results. The die is butter smooth with this combination.

Yes, get the FLHS die. A few years ago, I bought a 308 FL die. This is before they offered the FLHS dies. This die WOULD NOT F/L bump down to SAAMI minimum (1.630").

I spoke to Wayne about it. I sent the die in and he skimmed .008" off of the die bottom & sent it back. It now would F/L size properly. Apparently, I wasn't the only person with this issue and I noticed some months later, he offered the FLHS dies.

Another issue I have with that 308 die is if you use any brass that has thinner necks than a .335" bushing would use, the die wouldn't size the necks enough to hold a bullet.

I have a bunch of the older Winchester thin brass that needs a .331" bushing and some Hornady brass that needs a .333" bushing. For those two brass types, I have to use a separate neck sizer with that die to get proper neck tension.

The first die I bought from him was a 223 F/L die. That die worked perfectly from day one with no issues, that's why I ordered the 308 die from him.

I believe most current 308 brass types have thicker necks than my older brass. May not be an issue for most.

Reactions: simonp