• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Muzzleloader Load Developement

kenzup

Facta Non Verba
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Hey Everybody,

I didn't know where else to post this so here I go.

First, I am super excited I drew a bull elk muzzleloader tag this year. It is in a pretty tough unit. I am going to try and get the most out of my Remington UML. I grew up using traditional muzzleloaders and need some help with load development. Remington says that the UML is a 300 yard muzzleloader but I think I can get much more out of it.

Second, this is what I know. I am going to use 325 grain Parker Match Hunters. Based on the BC which I know I won't get 2800 FPS but it the best I can go off right now. 2150 FPS 8000 ft DA 50 degrees is my atmosphere that will be close to my hunting conditions. 740 yards is showing 1284 fps and 1198 ft lbs and 580 1535 fps and 1497 ft lbs. I look at both of these numbers because 1200 ft lbs is my absolute min energy for elk and 1500 is my preferred. (I am not looking for arugments on this. This is what I have used and comfortable with.)

Third, load and development. The UML is suppose to be able to take 200 grains by volume. I plan on using BH 209 powder but measure by weight. I would like to give my self a pressure buffer. I was thinking 10% or 180 grains by volume that is 126 grains by weight (based on BH 209 volume x .7 conversion). I plan on weighing my charges to be as consistent as possible. Unless there is a compelling argument 126 grains by weight will be my max load. Normally in load development with a centerfire rifle I use a .2 grain jump for 5 - 10 groups. This allows me to find multiple nodes. Now, with a muzzleloader I don't know what jumps I should use to use the same theory.

Finally, my big picture plan. Due to the cost of the Parkers I am going to shoot around 5 charges of 3 groups. The tightest group I will then shoot 3 through the chrono to get velocity and SD. Then get dope out to 700 yards and make the app match.

The questions:

What grain jump should I use for load development?

I don't know what I don't know. Am I missing something in this plan?

Thanks for the help in advance