• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ugly reloading precision primer seater

@BuildingConceptsllc

I dunno if this helps, but as you can see the bar is fast and machined nicely on the push/finger end.

Yeah I can tell that it's very easy to push on your video. I called and I ordered so that's done. He said he thinks sometime around end of the month or first of March he will have em ready to ship out. Can't wait to try it out.

Reactions: NiteQwill
So with the adjustable arm on the 419 a bolt on tab could be put on the arm to press the primer loader on every upstroke. I’m sure that would work on most presses. Every time you raise the handle and lower the ram a new primer would be charged. Shortstroking the ram this dang thing could be fast. This seems like an easy home project or someone like mkm could make a universal one if this product takes off. You heard it here first.
IMG_0697.png

Last edited:
I'd really like to see how this + a good press compares to a cps. this looks like a nice unit at a competitive price.

I've got mine in a cheap RCBS partner and i'm very happy with it. It would be even nicer in a press with better leverage/less flex.

Do they stay pretty consistent? Thinking about using my 650 to prime.
I used my 750 on new starline 300blk and cci primers and had a hell of a time getting all of them flush or below. I even have the adjustable height stop that lets you go beyond factory set primer depth. I measured the primer ram and even had Dillon send me another, nothing worked. It just didn't seem to have enough leverage to seat them down to depth. So far though, I haven't had any issues with the ammo.

Do they stay pretty consistent? Thinking about using my 650 to prime.

I used my 750 on new starline 300blk and cci primers and had a hell of a time getting all of them flush or below. I even have the adjustable height stop that lets you go beyond factory set primer depth. I measured the primer ram and even had Dillon send me another, nothing worked. It just didn't seem to have enough leverage to seat them down to depth. So far though, I haven't had any issues with the ammo.
I prime all my brass on my 750, never had an issue with primer depth. I even prime my ELR brass on there, across 10 rounds my ES is about 10 with SD of 2-3.

Saw this post about the derraco poor man primer tool. Sorry for late reply but I had recently bought one and I’m not too happy. But maybe I’m doing something wrong. Pls help me…

So I did everything the instruction said. And I notice unlike the hand ones you can’t feel the primer going in. Also I tried even at max setting the primer did not move in the case the large primer was still flush to the head instead of being slightly lower. I feel like have to bang on the press lever to push up the primer but I think this is not right either I did not do it. It’s difficult to tell on a press how much primer moved without a measuring tool. I wish this had a gauge.

I’m going to buy a K&M with gauge although it’s hand priming at least it measures the pocket the primer and how much pressure needed to seat.
Only negative is that it uses lee holders also.

Reactions: Chargerguy
you can use the end of your calipers to measure depth. I had zero issues setting up my dad's unit. I also just used an old case to set depth very quickly

Saw this post about the derraco poor man primer tool. Sorry for late reply but I had recently bought one and I’m not too happy. But maybe I’m doing something wrong. Pls help me…

So I did everything the instruction said. And I notice unlike the hand ones you can’t feel the primer going in. Also I tried even at max setting the primer did not move in the case the large primer was still flush to the head instead of being slightly lower. I feel like have to bang on the press lever to push up the primer but I think this is not right either I did not do it. It’s difficult to tell on a press how much primer moved without a measuring tool. I wish this had a gauge.

I’m going to buy a K&M with gauge although it’s hand priming at least it measures the pocket the primer and how much pressure needed to seat.
Only negative is that it uses lee holders also.
What press are you using? I have a hard stop if I go too deep. Therefore, I can set primer depth right below flush, or whatever I want.

It sounds like maybe you didn't thread the PCPS deep enough to account for adjustments?

Reactions: bmash
I’m using rock chuck supreme Rcbs. I followed the instructions all the way. The die only has about inch between the bottom of die and top of press.

I dialed micrometer to max deep with case on.
Then dialed clockwise less deep till case barely comes out. This is where I started. At first I pushed primer up at this point but the case would not come out of holder as the primer still sticking out so I had to adjust deeper counter clcok. About 60 clicks. The case finally came out. I noticed now that there is gab between anvil and micrometer at this point. The primer is just flush to the head so I go in more deeper all the way to maximum and still primer would not go in further. Perhaps it’s my case. I have never had this issue with hand primers. Plus as I mentioned I like the feel of the hand priming tool that is why I’m getting the k&m there is a gauge to measure how much effort your squeezing also. I wish this had a gauge also.

Here is my setup with the RCBS Rock Chucker IV and the .223 Rem shell holder. I was amazed at the consistency. I needed this because of my arthritic hands more than precision. I measured using the Mitutoyo digital caliper (not the most accurate method). But my shooting style does not justify buying a Mitutoyo depth gauge. Or the Accuracy One Precision Primer Gauge.

The primers slip in smoothly with little effort and I believe I can feel when the anvil touches bottom. Takes a little more effort to push the anvil in.
20240529_201322.jpg
20240529_201349.jpg
20240529_201340.jpg

I haven't had that issue with either of mine. I have 2 of them and just leave em set up, one for small and one for large on one of my turrets.

I can dial in however much crush I want with the micrometer. Not sure what is going on there for ya

I’m using rock chuck supreme Rcbs. I followed the instructions all the way. The die only has about inch between the bottom of die and top of press.

I dialed micrometer to max deep with case on.
Then dialed clockwise less deep till case barely comes out. This is where I started. At first I pushed primer up at this point but the case would not come out of holder as the primer still sticking out so I had to adjust deeper counter clcok. About 60 clicks. The case finally came out. I noticed now that there is gab between anvil and micrometer at this point. The primer is just flush to the head so I go in more deeper all the way to maximum and still primer would not go in further. Perhaps it’s my case. I have never had this issue with hand primers. Plus as I mentioned I like the feel of the hand priming tool that is why I’m getting the k&m there is a gauge to measure how much effort your squeezing also. I wish this had a gauge also.
Doesn't seem right at all. I'd suggest calling Carl. He literally answers the phone 7 days a week at all hours of the day. But I would suggest calling on Mountain Standard Time. 😉😉

Here is my setup with the RCBS Rock Chucker IV and the .223 Rem shell holder. I was amazed at the consistency. I needed this because of my arthritic hands more than precision. I measured using the Mitutoyo digital caliper (not the most accurate method). But my shooting style does not justify buying a Mitutoyo depth gauge. Or the Accuracy One Precision Primer Gauge.

The primers slip in smoothly with little effort and I believe I can feel when the anvil touches bottom. Takes a little more effort to push the anvil in.
View attachment 8428274View attachment 8428272View attachment 8428273
Thank you Conaso this is actually how I set mine up and also as you see in the photo there is a gap between anvil and micrometer. Also the same amount of space between the die and top of press. Perhaps it works so good that as you mentioned you “believe” that you can feel the bottom. Also a little more effort to punch the anvil in as you mention. I guess what I’m doing is correct. I will try new cases and see if that makes a difference. But I also just ordered the hand k&m gauged priming tool. Both together is still cheaper than the primal rights. Lol

Thank you Conaso this is actually how I set mine up and also as you see in the photo there is a gap between anvil and micrometer. Also the same amount of space between the die and top of press. Perhaps it works so good that as you mentioned you “believe” that you can feel the bottom. Also a little more effort to punch the anvil in as you mention. I guess what I’m doing is correct. I will try new cases and see if that makes a difference. But I also just ordered the hand k&m gauged priming tool. Both together is still cheaper than the primal rights. Lol

Century first tools has the best primer gauge. Check it out

Century first tools has the best primer gauge. Check it out
No question on the quality and functionality of the Accuracy One's components but I'd like to know who manufactures their digital indicator. Every similar appears to be made in China and the reviews are not very good. Other quality indicators, e.g., Mitutoyo, etc., are as expensive as AO tool.

No question on the quality and functionality of the Accuracy One's components but I'd like to know who manufactures their digital indicator. Every similar appears to be made in China and the reviews are not very good. Other quality indicators, e.g., Mitutoyo, etc., are as expensive as AO tool.
I have an Accuracy One that is a few years old and the digital indicator is made by iGaging. I don't have any validation tools to give you an idea of how accurate the gauge is.

I have a precision primer seater… not one of the “Ugly” units. But I use it for my really high-precision reloads. Holland guns Perfect Primer Seater. Been using one at least 12 years.

They do work and are absolutely worth it. IF you are using really top practices in every other stage of the reloading.

If you are banging out rounds for steel or making “ordinary” handloads, a precision primer seater will likely make no difference to the repeatability of your ammo.

But it is one more variable, albeit a tiny one, that you can eliminate and added to every other small variable can make a difference. Everything about precision handloading is about eliminating variables… creating consistency. That’s where these units come in.

The Holland unit is really well-engineered. And with proper pocket prep makes utterly consistent priming. I can’t speak for the Ugly. But suspect it is effective when combined with similar attention to detail at every other step along the way.

Great thread!

Cheers, Sirhr

PS. I also have a press mount primer depth seater/micrometer on my big press that I load .50 BMG on. Not that I am trying for extreme accuracy there. But for extreme safety. BMG can be unforgiving When it comes to small details!

Last edited:
And one thing I picked up from this thread is that Ugly is making precision shell holders. That is definitely interesting. I’ve always thought the one-size fits all shell holders were a bit of a weak link.

Next chance I get, I’ll get together a list of holders I want to upgrade! Did I mention, great thread!

Sirhr

And one thing I picked up from this thread is that Ugly is making precision shell holders. That is definitely interesting. I’ve always thought the one-size fits all shell holders were a bit of a weak link.

Next chance I get, I’ll get together a list of holders I want to upgrade! Did I mention, great thread!

Sirhr
Yeah I got like 6 of em so I could use em in all my primer stuff that uses thr lee style shell holder. They have less slop and are pretty nice

Reactions: sirhrmechanic