• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drag bag or Pelican 1750?

LR-Shooter

Minuteman
Jul 27, 2008
Idaho
I need something to carry my rifle to the range and to local matches, will never board a plane with my rifle. I have a TacOps small drag bag that is too small for my new rifle so I am looking at trying the Eberlestock bag or getting the 1750. There is a new FDE 1750 at my local FFL for $243 or I will order the drag bag online just don't know which I should get.

Cons of 1750:
heavy and awkward
Can't store long term in it due to moisture retaining foam
Have to cut foam and I am OCD so would have to buy a cheap hot wire to do a good job

Cons of drag bag:
not as well protected as hard case
still big

What are your opinions or recommendations?

Unless you're flying, hard cases are just a PITA imo. A well padded drag bag is more versitle & doesn't take up so much space. The Eberlestock is a very nice lifetime bag and unless you're planning on bouncing your rig down the highway at 60mph because you forgot it was on the tailgate, a quality DB will give you plenty of protection.

I was leaning the drag bag way and just needed a push. I agree with you guys, maybe a hard case later to go with it. Thanks!

Go the drag bag.
The hard cases are a pain and friggen heavy.
I have 2 US Pease Keeper type. Google them and order direct.
They all look the same.

Heavy and awkward as mentioned. I use my 1750 on the roof of my 4Runner when traveling, but it sucks to lug around for a range trip. Drag bag is definitely the best route.

I have a TACOPS bag, I haven't used the pelican since I got the drag bag. Way easier to throw in the truck, sub, RZR....

If I have full control of the transport, soft bag. If I do not have full control, hard case

Been rocking the drag bag from Midway and I love it. I have a shorter one that folds out into a shooting mat that I use for my ARs and rifles that break down. I have their longest drag bag for my magnum cannons. I like how beefy the Pelican is, but it doesn't fit in my car well and it is cumbersome to move around.

I have both a quality drag bag and pelican. Use the pelican only for long distance travel. I bought the Eberlestock to fit in the storm 3300 case. They have it pictured together on Eberlestock site. Hard case is heavy and not worth it for local use as stated before. I own the triad precision rifle case as well, I would skip it for the price. Midway ran a sale a few times on the Eberelestock drag bags. It was $224 to my door. I'd keep your eye out for that sale.

I have both a quality drag bag and pelican. Use the pelican only for long distance travel. I bought the Eberlestock to fit in the storm 3300 case. They have it pictured together on Eberlestock site. Hard case is heavy and not worth it for local use as stated before. I own the triad precision rifle case as well, I would skip it for the price. Midway ran a sale a few times on the Eberelestock drag bags. It was $224 to my door. I'd keep your eye out for that sale.

Dang thats good price. I will watch for that.

Thanks all for the recommendations, I will go with the drag bag for sure. Right now I am using a regular rifle case and carrying range stuff in my EDC bag. It will get me by until I find a deal.

I know you've already decided but I use a Voodoo Tactical DB and like it a lot. Like others have mentioned it fits nicely inside the Pelican for air travel or long trips. One thing to note is that Pelican came out with an "air" version of their popular rigs that are up to 40% lighter. For some really nice discounts on Pelican gear, try pelicancasesforless.com. I recently bought two cases I needed and got $50 off each case.

I got a hard case thinking it would be handy, and it is handy if I am going to be making a long haul or like the other day when the cab was full of people but its a pain in the ass for most every other day. Looking for a soft case now..

I like hard cases. I'd go with pelican. But as everyone said hard cases are heavy.

You really need both!

I have wanted a hard case for awhile but have only had soft cases. I like the idea of using the drag bag and then putting it into a hard case when needed. This is an expensive ass hobby, nearly 700 bucks to get both.

You all have posted some good alternatives to the 2 most recommended bags and where to get the best deals, thanks for that.

Right now I am using a AMS tan rifle case and my 511 rush 12 bag for range gear. I am kinda liking not having everything in one bag that makes it extra heavy.

Unless you're flying, hard cases are just a PITA imo. A well padded drag bag is more versitle & doesn't take up so much space. The Eberlestock is a very nice lifetime bag and unless you're planning on bouncing your rig down the highway at 60mph because you forgot it was on the tailgate, a quality DB will give you plenty of protection.

Absolutely! Hard cases are only useful when the rifle is left unattended such as flying, delivery, etc. Other than those situations, they are a burden to carry around.

I recently got tired of lugging the Pelican out for every range trip and took a chance on a "cheapish" US Peacekeepers RAT case. I am very impressed with the quality of this case. I will be buying a few more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk