• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Th Remington 710

wtf?_over

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2007
I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to bolt guns and long range shooting, so I thought I'd ask the experts. One of my buddies in the Royal Marines said that the Serbians are arming alot of their Snipers with Remington 710s chambered in 30-06. They usually change out the factory scopes, slap on some paint and hit the trails. I personally own a 710 and have made one shot kills on deer at 150-275 yards. Of course, the wind was blowing strainght into my 12 'o' clock, but what do you guys think of the 710 as a tactical rifle?

Re: Th Remington 710

That's the pressed in barrel econo model. No thanks. Get a used 700 and you'll be happier. There is nothing availible for them, can't really rebarrel down the road either.

Its not a tactical rifle and was built so cheaply that even Remington gave up on it but in the hands of a desperate army with not much funding..... you can arm your men and kill your enemy.

Consider Valley Forge, victory was about the spirit of the people and their leaders, not the quality of arms.

I have a friend that has one because it was cheap and he kills a lot of stuff with it but a 500 yard rifle it is not. Hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

A friend of mine started out on a Remington 770, which was the updated version of the 710. From what I recall, the 770/710 series fit the bill for a person that wanted to fire a few rounds and call it a day.

There were several issues that would not make the 710/770 an entry level tactical rifle. In addition to the reason stated above, I believe the issue is repeatability. The 710/770 has a very slim barrel profile which may effect accuracy. The stock makes contact with barrel which also effects barrel harmonics.

However, two of the bigger issues involved the bolt/action and the trigger. The trigger had a very heavy trigger pull that would creep a lot before breaking. Regarding the action, we ran about 400-500 rounds of Federal American Eagle 155gr FMJ, which I admit is not premium ammo, but is reliable for economy rounds. On average every couple of boxes the action would seize and the bolt would be very difficult to open.

I hope I haven't bashed anyone's rifle, however my general opinion is that the 710/770 cannot be considered tactical.

The rails in the action are soft, and very quickly gouge making the action very stiff and rough. It was made for the guy who wants something really cheap to go to the range get his shots hitting on a paper plate shoot his deer and put it up intil next season.

In short, Jack up the firing pin and put a real rifle under it.

I agree with all the observations above, but I have found a few free things the help out the 710 in the accuracy department. The triger is adjustable. I have the one on my 710(270) down to about 3 pounds with zero take up or overtravle. I also took the liberty of relieving the stock so it is now a free floating bbl. On thing that sux is the recoil lug, its part of the stock not the action. But for a first or cheep hunting rig, its not bad for the price.

_MG_0200.jpg

There are a few "Sniper" competitions that I attend as a spectator and the rifles that I've seen vary so greatly that I would have no Idea what to look for. What would be a good solid choice for a rifle make, caliber, stock and optics? For the sake of argument, lets say that the rig was for the stereotypical sniper role of shoot from cover and scoot.

A 308 with a 24" barrel and any custom short action on it would be a good choice on this side of 800 yards. I like the bushnell elite 6500 with a 4.5-30X50. Good price and really nice optics.

If you want an "out of the box" affordable "sniper" type rifle, buy a 700 PSS or LTR, Leupold or Badger Picatinny base and Rings and add a Leupold Mk4 in your preferred magnification range. You now have what 90% of the police departments in the US use.

Or just buy the Remington 700 PSS TWS. It comes with everything you need (except ammo). Of course you will pay for the privilege of Remington assembling it for you.

The 710 I have does shoot excellent for the $300 I paid for it back when. It now sits in my safe and hasn't been fired in years. When I really got into reloading on my own I started with the 710 and a partner press. I had very little extra money. It would shoot 1 moa fairly easily. Don't think I ever shoot it past 300 yards.
It is heavy for hunting rifle, recoils like a mule compared to my tikka light in same caliber, can't enjoy doing any upgrades to it. I see it as a rifle for the guy that hunts his 1 or 2 weekends a year and doesn't want to spend much money on it.

i bought a 770 in 308 just to start with cause it was affordable at the time. it is not a bad rifle but nothing special, i have shot some very good groups at 100 with it and ok groups at 300 and even knock down 4 of 5 steel targets at 550 yards. but today i did what i should have done the first time just bought a rem 700 sps varmint in 308, next year it will get the aics 1.5 and a zeiss scope.

ok well everybody rags on the .270 and the rem model 710 way to much so im here to straighten this up. i DO own a rem model 710 in a 270, and i fell in love with is from the start. i bought it used but in brand new condition. olive green stalk. x4-x16 zoom scope. i shoot the winchester 130 grain silver tip ballistic rounds. made for long distance shooting and big game killing. ive heard of people taking down elks and moose as well as bears with this round with no problem. i personally deer hunt in florida. my spot this year with this gun was on a small hill top on a powerline strip. the green field startsat 250 yards and ends at 750. i shot 1 deer that walked up at 10 yards nad he had almost no shoulder on the exit side. and one turkey that was unfortunate to step out on that feild at 530 yards. that distance was with a lazer range finder so its right on. in the right hands the rem 710 can be a great gun and with the 270 round even better. very flat shooting. beets the 30-06 and the 7mm which are its competitors. as i said before i love this gun

If you want an all around out-of-box rifle, get a Savage Predator in .308. Good buy for the price. We had one in .223 on the line at our FV200 match yesterday, and it was competitive. In .308 or .223, it can operate in F Class as either an F T/R or an F Open, depending on whether you use a bipod or a rest.

I think the 770 bolt/action binding/seizing issue might lend itself to some moderation by using a .308 based chambering (.243, 7mm-08 and .308 are offered) instead of a .30-'06 based chambering, and being somewhat anal about lubrication.

As an 'economy' sniper weapon, it's a bit crude and perhaps somewhat less robust, but the price is right, and the overall performance, IMHO, rivals that of either the WWII Mauser Snipers, or the Mosin Nagant Snipers. I think that if the Eastern (para?)military entity that's using them were to find that they become unserviceable after about 500 kills or so, the full replacement cost would not be overly unreasonable.

Greg

My vote.
Don't bother with it.
GET A STEVENS if you want to get out cheap and you can upgrade it to a something extra nice. They are the same action as savage.

Now for my story. I started with a 770 in .243. i didn't know much about rifles when i got it. I put a center point scope on it and it did shoot pretty darn good. i got 3.5" groups at 200 yds with 100 gr remington core lokts.
Had it for 3 years and sold it for $300. i think i had $400 in gun, scope, and sling.
I sold it because i wanted something nicer. Now that i have and have handled nicer things the 770 was sloppy. Much nicer can be had for about the same money.

i'm gonna say it again if you want to get out cheap. GET A STEVENS can upgrade it to a something extra nice and starting out it will be nicer than the 710/770.

I have a 710 in .270, shoot the 130gr. Ballistic Silver Tips and the rifle does what I bought it for. It kills deer dead! As has been stated above, not the most accurate(around 1 MOA), stiff trigger, tight bolt operation, etc... But it has served me well for a $250.00 rifle, it hits where I aim it, cycles my ammo, and has never failed me. As for a tactical/precision rig...nah. But it was all I could afford at the time, and again has served me well, now it is passed on to my wife until I can upgrade her. If she can shoot w/ this she'll really be able to when we upgrade. Just my .02, with it and another $ you can get a cup of coffee.
Eric

The remington 710, accurate? Maybe? well built? Hello no. Trigger? horrible. Everything about this gus screams cheap. I keep one to lone to new hunters as I don't mind having a newb in the field drop, scrath, or otherwise destroy the rifle. But it will kill a deer and my personal 710 has brought two new hunters to the game. For the $200 it cost me it serves its purpose. NOT a tactical rifle.

Horrible trigger, poor quality, as with all things, you get what you pay for.

Here's some even better advise for someone that is a novice with bolt guns and long range and wants to try their hand at it.

"My suggestion to the new shooter is to purchase a good .22LR bolt action rifle. A Savage or Reminton is a great start. Install some mid level glass ($200 is NOT mid level), a good bipod, a sling, and a couple bricks of match ammo (Wolf Match Target is my favorite). Start at 25 yards and learn how to punch holes wherever you want them. If you are one of those Alpha Males who has to have the BEST of everything, then get a custom Remington 40x in a McMillan Stock and slap a S&B Scope on it. You will drop several thousand dollars into that, but still have a TRAINER than will challenge your skill.

Once 25 yards gets boring, push it back to 50 yards. Then 100 Yards. At 100 with sub-sonic match .22LR loads you will begin to notice that if you don't pay attention to the wind you will start to miss. At 200 yards the wind will be playing with your little, slow moving .22LR the same as it would at 1000 yards for a 175gr .308 (about 9.9 MOA for a 10pmh full value). You will need to be just as exacting with your wind calls, but you will be spending FAR less than the $1.50 a shot that match ammo for a .308 typically runs.

Add into this the fact that 1000 yard ranges are a bit hard to come by in some areas of the US. There are scores of ranges where you can get to 200 yards and all I have seen will allow the .22LR.

With the.22LR you avoid the ammo costs, the recoil and the muzzle blast of the .308.

After a year of hard shooting with the .22LR you will develop some good skills with the rifle." LW

710's are pretty much the rifles for people (or ARMY) that cant afford 700's. I wouldn't go to battle with it.

I own a Remington Model 710 in 30-06 I have made 600 yard shots with the rifle. I am very pleased with the action of the gun and the amount of control I have over the rifle. The synthetic Stock gives it the light weight that is good for on the move . I have left the gun stock with the exception of a bipod . With patience and being comfortable with this gun you will be able to make the shot when it counts. There really is no need to sink hundreds of dollars into it.

got a friend who has a 710? yep hes cheap it works for him because he never shoots.
its the look how cool this looks sitting in my safe syndrom..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shockrider11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a Remington Model 710 in 30-06 I have made 600 yard shots with the rifle. I am very pleased with the action of the gun and the amount of control I have over the rifle. The synthetic Stock gives it the light weight that is good for on the move . I have left the gun stock with the exception of a bipod . With patience and being comfortable with this gun you will be able to make the shot when it counts. There really is no need to sink hundreds of dollars into it.</div></div>

really....why was i not alerted /

"The trigger is adjustable"

Flyboy, how did you adjust it? I called my local gunsmith and they said it was not possible.

I don't think a gunsmith can do it due to liabilities, but it can be done. You just have to find someone that knows how. I had an older shooter friend that adjusted my 710 .270 to about 3 lbs. Just have to be very careful with it cause if the adjustment screws weren't just right, it would dryfire when jarred abruptly. Tested it several times before actually loading at the range. Never had a problem since it was done (about 4yrs now).

I have a 710 in .270 also and I've taken deer and yotes out to 450 yards. The only thing that I have done to it is paint the stock tri tone tiger stripe , And a bi pod. I have a HP muzzle break that I want to install so my daughter can start to shoot with me.

All you tht are gettin bipods for them and muzzle brakes. Where u get them at. I'm having hard time finding them. I love my 710. I've hit 600-800 yards with it and easily key hole at 200-300 yards. It's accurate. Just make the barrel a free float which takes 10 min and some wood sanders. Only bad thing is it kicks like a mule. Some ppl Hate the stiff handle. I personally like it I know it's locked in. But if someone could help with the accessories for them it would b nice