“Ad” Topperwain Challenge

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
The squirrel in the head thread from a few weeks ago got me back in love with some of my old .22’s. And thinking about a “project” I always wanted to undertake with a .22.

Since I was a kid, I saw articles and later some videos of the husband and wife team Ad and “Plinky” Tooperwain. They were exhibition shooters for, among others, Winchester.

I always wanted to find one of his tin Indians. Shot with a Winchester pump or auto at 25 feet in front of a crowd… then the “Indian” was presented to someone in the audience. There is a Topperwain at the Buffalo Bill museum. And the only two I ever saw outside a museum were in a gun club “clubhouse” in Raleigh, NC.

These were shot with iron sights. Seated Offhand. As fast as Tooperwain or his wife could load the rifle. At 25 feet. No dots to shoot at. He just shot the tin with the “pattern” in his head.

Here’s a couple of examples.

0AA02DFB-2C6B-4401-9308-83DBF2FAA0D8.jpeg
9E28B2F2-8E8D-429B-8E71-B1D677D1AEBD.jpeg

So having given up on owning a real Topperwain (they sell for thousands now), I am going to make my own. And it got me thinking that the world needs more tin Indians not less. And it might make a good Snipers Hide “exercise.” Kind of the ultimate rim fire dot drill!

So challenge rules. Really? Rules? Only one. Must shoot at 25 feet or more. Can use a dot template. Can use a scope. Can be as big or small a piece of tin as you like. Can lay paper on the tin with a pattern on it. Can be prone. Can do on indoor range. Can do in .17 or even a center fire if you want. Can use rests, bags, anything.

The only thing that matters is you get a good Indian head that would make Ad Topperwain and his wife “Plinky” proud. Btw, her name is where the term “Plinking came from. She was a trick shooter, too.)

At the end of the challenge… you get a piece of wall art that will make your friends go “wow” and a great sense of satisfaction.

Any takers? @buffalowinter ??

Cheers, Sirhr

PS. Already plotting my strategy…. Winchester 52 target. Copper sheet with a paper template (though I will practice before using the copper!!!) And lots of time to get it right. Btw, for templates, any local Kinkos or Office Depot can take the above images and blow them up and make several copies cheap.

PPS... if you want to do a different image... that's fair game too! He did Uncle Sam, Custer... others. Use your imagination!

Last edited:

buffalowinter

Rick Jones MAJ, SF (Ret)
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    The squirrel in the head thread from a few weeks ago got me back in love with some of my old .22’s. And thinking about a “project” I always wanted to undertake with a .22.

Since I was a kid, I saw articles and later some videos of the husband and wife team Ad and “Plinky” Tooperwain. They were exhibition shooters for, among others, Winchester.

I always wanted to find one of his tin Indians. Shot with a Winchester pump or auto at 25 feet in front of a crowd… then the “Indian” was presented to someone in the audience. There is a Topperwain at the Buffalo Bill museum. And the only two I ever saw outside a museum were in a gun club “clubhouse” in Raleigh, NC.

These were shot with iron sights. Seated Offhand. As fast as Tooperwain or his wife could load the rifle. At 25 feet. No dots to shoot at. He just shot the tin with the “pattern” in his head.

Here’s a couple of examples.

View attachment 7904063View attachment 7904064

So having given up on owning a real Topperwain (they sell for thousands now), I am going to make my own. And it got me thinking that the world needs more tin Indians not less. And it might make a good Snipers Hide “exercise.” Kind of the ultimate rim fire dot drill!

So challenge rules. Really? Rules? Only one. Must shoot at 25 feet or more. Can use a dot template. Can use a scope. Can be as big or small a piece of tin as you like. Can lay paper on the tin with a pattern on it. Can be prone. Can do on indoor range. Can do in .17 or even a center fire if you want. Can use rests, bags, anything.

The only thing that matters is you get a good Indian head that would make Ad Topperwain and his wife “Plinky” proud. Btw, her name is where the term “Plinking came from. She was a trick shooter, too.)

At the end of the challenge… you get a piece of wall art that will make your friends go “wow” and a great sense of satisfaction.

Any takers? @buffalowinter ??

Cheers, Sirhr

PS. Already plotting my strategy…. Winchester 52 target. Copper sheet with a paper template (though I will practice before using the copper!!!) And lots of time to get it right. Btw, for templates, any local Kinkos or Office Depot can take the above images and blow them up and make several copies cheap.

PPS... if you want to do a different image... that's fair game too! He did Uncle Sam, Custer... others. Use your imagination!

Challenge accepted!

362b60be89cfb876b77da85bb50d916f.jpg

justin amateur

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Apr 21, 2012
    Copper sheeting ain't cheap.
    Flashing is...sold at the hardware store...same effect with the holes.
    Paint it copper-ish after shooting... something to try.

Could use tin snips on an aluminum container or metal jug too.

If you were to mount it razor edged punctures pointing out,
    could you write something in braille like..."Danger: Sharp Edges, Don't Touch! "

Just thinking out loud here.
    :unsure:

e098a6cd01321bc5954d954f40d39509--general-crafts-punch.jpg

22lr for the larger holes, 17hm2 for smaller holes,
    CCI Copper 22 ought to be good for the keyholes.
    :sneaky:

Last edited:

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    Minuteman
    Copper sheeting ain't cheap.
    Flashing is...sold at the hardware store...same effect with the holes.
    Paint it copper-ish after shooting... something to try.

Could use tin snips on an aluminum container or metal jug too.

If you were to mount it razor edged punctures pointing out,
    could you write something in braille like..."Danger: Sharp Edges, Don't Touch! "

Just thinking out loud here.
    :unsure:

e098a6cd01321bc5954d954f40d39509--general-crafts-punch.jpg

22lr for the larger holes, 17hm2 for smaller holes,
    CCI Copper 22 ought to be good for the keyholes.
    :sneaky:
    Fortunately, I can get almost unlimited offcuts of roofing copper from a friend locally. Lots of the rich Canuckistanians want their McMansions done in copper roofs... So offcuts are not hard to get.

But going to do some serious practicing before I try on copper.

@buffalowinter you are a better man than I, Gunga Din!

BTW, this was done by one of your 5th Group bretheren with a Marlin 39a... He did it for a bunch of boy scouts when he was a local scoutmaster.

jail.jpg

Put it outside of a tent at a jamboree or somesuch.

Anyhoo....

Cheers,

Sirhr

buffalowinter

Rick Jones MAJ, SF (Ret)
    Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    Did I mention I did that shooting backwards over my shoulder using a mirror?:) But you did get me thinking. I might as well make a target with little dots on it in the outline of a picture. Shoot at the little dots and make a picture rather that just shooting at little dots on a paper target.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    Minuteman
    Did I mention I did that shooting backwards over my shoulder using a mirror?:) But you did get me thinking. I might as well make a target with little dots on it in the outline of a picture. I maght as well shoot at the little dots and make a picture rather that just shooting at little dots on a paper target.
    Right? Why Not.

And you could do it with your Groza for extra cred!

Sirhr

obx22

Troubleshooter
    Minuteman
    Dec 28, 2020
    N.C.
    I really like this thread, and it’s rather timely. Last weekend I was getting some warm fuzzy with the very handgun I learned on, and after wearing out the upper left and right bulls, the human silhouette’s heart, some dot pasties, etc. I decided to draw a smiley face with bullets.
    That little challenge humbled me severely! In no way could the “pattern” be construed as anything resembling a human face! Guess I need more trigger time 👍
    A lot of trigger time…..

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

isofahunter

Get Tough or Die!
    Minuteman
  • Jun 11, 2010
    Hill Country of Texas
    This is hidden in his home town, I bet a million people drive by this for every one that stops. There were some great German Marksman in that neck of the woods.
    20220826_195055.jpg

Reactions: 6.5SH